Billows on a Drum Smoker

JoeGuitar

MemberGot rid of the matchlight.
Reaction score
I made the move from a WSM to a Hunsaker drum smoker.

I always used ThermoWorks Signals & Billows to hold the temperature in the WSM and it worked great.

Now that I’m using the Hunsaker, I’m missing the billows…

Anyone here have a billows attached to a drum?

I was thinking of cutting a hole in the bottom side of the drum to attach the billows to & cutting a piece out of the heat shield to let the air get to the charcoal basket.

I’d like to hear/see how anyone else has done this.

Joe

I screwed my DigiQ adapter for my BGE over one of the inlet holes on my Woodys drum. Worked like a charm held rock solid temps. Don’t have pictures drum rusted out a couple of years ago but worked great

I wouldn't want to put a hole in my Hunsaker because i feel like it holds steady enough temps as is. A couple of months ago Hunsaker was discussing making a drum that came ready for this set up, but I don't know that it ever took off. Here is a link to some instructions for installing a Flame Boss from one of the guys in the facebook group.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1PQ...FnEFW4sMcrKMQ_jmWNcUU8DhLt1KYCY7Aqexoddyr0cs0

The Woodys drum just had X3 of 3/4” holes with teardrop slides over them for adjustment so I took one slide off and installed the adapter. Don’t blame you for not wanting to drill holes in your drum

Thanks for the replies.

drunkenmeatfist - thanks for the link that looks like a great mounting option.

I agree, the Hunsaker does hold the temperature pretty good, but…. If I’m putting something on to smoke overnight, I’d rather be sure that the temp is going to be where it needs to be.

Maybe I have to have more experience without the billows? But the few cooks (6 or 7) on the Hunsaker, I’ve had to babysit it. It holds temp for an hour or so then drops & needs attention; vents, not charcoal.

Joe

Back