MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 03-18-2014, 07:23 AM   #106
c farmer
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbqgeekess View Post
Very nice, how thick do you cut your limb discs again? What diameter typically?
4 inch.

Gold mini wsm 1st gen mes, amazin dust and pellet smoker, and the uds.

Double O' Seven == Rotisserie/Grill/Smoker Hybrid and offset.
c farmer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-18-2014, 07:48 AM   #107
BbqScientist
Got Wood.

Quote:
It's Western brand sold at Academy.

Western makes horrible smoking woods. I was absolutely amazed at the flavor difference between western hickory and "good" hickory.

I also have gotten moldy bags. But even the good bags don't have a "sweet" flavor profile you get from good wood.

Nowadays I mainly buy smoking wood online or from local guys. We put too much time and effort into our bbq to skimp on one of the most important aspects... The smoke.

http://www.baxtersoriginal.com/
BbqScientist is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Thanks from: --->
Old 03-18-2014, 07:59 AM   #108
lantern
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BbqScientist View Post
Western makes horrible smoking woods. I was absolutely amazed at the flavor difference between western hickory and "good" hickory.

I also have gotten moldy bags. But even the good bags don't have a "sweet" flavor profile you get from good wood.

Nowadays I mainly buy smoking wood online or from local guys. We put too much time and effort into our bbq to skimp on one of the most important aspects... The smoke.

http://www.baxtersoriginal.com/
Thanks for the link! I was just about to run out and thought I was going to have to turn to Academy for some cherry and peach.
lantern is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-18-2014, 08:00 AM   #109
dwfisk
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarrynVegas View Post
I'm kinda sick at my stomach right now. There are no local wood sources like that here in the desert Southwest.
Quote:
Well I'm sure there are some good quality bagged woods in that area. I always just bought the cheap bagged wood.
Very helpful post Geekess.

I'll throw out this link, it is where I get bulk cooking woods: http://southernfuelwood.com/. If you are in the southeast, they can get bulk wood to you, but more importantly their company profile/niche is to supply wood to restaurants that use wood fired ovens (and of course BBQ joints). For folks that are having a hard time sourcing bulk cooing woods, I suggest you find a good pizza joint or restaurant that uses a WFO and ask where they get theirs.

Old 03-18-2014, 08:09 AM   #110
Texas Turtle
Take a breath!

I have used the Western stuff from Academy and not really had any problems, but lately I have been getting bagged wood at HEB. It seems a bit fresher and a bit lower priced. Less chips and kindling.

Old 03-18-2014, 08:25 AM   #111
STCL01
On the road to being a farker

Just cut the chunks the size that you want and put them into a mesh bag where air can get to them. Keep them in a covered spot with good air flow and let them dry.

We have a lot of pecan trees in our yard that are always pruning themselves. Anything over 1' in diameter gets cut for the smoker. On the smaller rounds just cut them to the length you need for your smoker and let them dry. I cut into chucks, with my miter saw just like you, anything from about 2" - 3". Anything larger than that I cut into 12" - 14" lengths and split once dry. Simply split with an axe, hatchet, etc. as noted above.

Do not smoke with green pecan. It will impart a bitter taste to the meat. Once dry it is superb, especially on chicken.
STCL01 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-18-2014, 09:01 AM   #112
Sean "Puffy" Coals
is one Smokin' Farker

I used to just lock the split down in my bench-top vise and cut it using a reciprocating saw with a pruning blade on it. The huge teeth cut fast and rough, which is fine since you're only going to burn it anyway.

A while back I found a MUCH easier method- rather than spend time cutting a split into chunks, I just cut the split in half so it fits in my basket. I stand the split up vertically right in the middle of the basket and pour in briqs or lump in around it and dump lit coals on top.

It burns evenly and provides good smoke and saves a TON of time and energy.

Obviously, not all splits are the same size, so I whittle them down as needed with a hatchet to a more consistent thickness.

Old 03-18-2014, 09:18 AM   #113
dwfisk

Name/Nickname : Dave
Default Meet my little fireside friend (Tony Montana accent)

A little pricey, but you can find them a little cheaper if you shop.
http://t.homedepot.com/p/Estwing-64-...-FF4/202183840
Works great!

Old 03-18-2014, 09:47 AM   #114
fingerlickin'

Nice score!

Last time I filled up the back of my car with wood, while unloading I just happened to see the millipede run up and under the back seat. I try not to think about where he is these days.

"I can get a good look at a T-bone by sticking my head up a bull's a$$, but I'd rather take a butcher's word for it". - [I]Tommy Callahan III[/I][/COLOR][/COLOR]
[B][SIZE=2][COLOR=DarkGreen][SIZE=3][SIZE=2][COLOR=Black]
[/COLOR][/SIZE] [SIZE=2][COLOR=Black]Backwoods Ext. Party,[/COLOR][/SIZE][/SIZE][/COLOR][/SIZE][COLOR=DarkGreen] [COLOR=Black]Vision Kamado,[/COLOR][/COLOR][/B][B][COLOR=DarkGreen][COLOR=DarkGreen][B][COLOR=Black] 22" WSM[/COLOR][/B],[/COLOR] 22.5 Weber OTS, [/COLOR][/B][COLOR=DarkGreen][B]Mini WSM, [/B][COLOR=Red][B] UDS "No.8"[/B][/COLOR][/COLOR]

[COLOR=Teal] [COLOR=Black][B][COLOR=DarkSlateGray]Napkin Killers BBQ[/COLOR]
[/B][/COLOR][/COLOR]
fingerlickin' is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-18-2014, 09:54 AM   #115
Fwismoker
somebody shut me the fark up.

I hit up orchards and people i know with fruit woods for my smoking wood...all the other i get from my neighborhood, maple and hickory (free for all) My advice is learn the trees that are in your area and map it out...it's nice to know when a storm comes through you know what is what.

Nice find on the wood though if i was using a offset i'd need the splits. For smoking chunks the branches do great.

Visit [COLOR="Red"]OctoForks[/COLOR] in Sales & Ventures

Website & Blog: [url]www.octoforks.com[/url]
Fwismoker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-18-2014, 10:05 AM   #116
danno79
Knows what a fatty is.

I love Pecan wood. I have a buddy in Louisiana send me a small box of Pecan from time to time. I wish I could get more.

Old 03-18-2014, 10:35 AM   #117
Fwismoker

geek sometimes i really hate you! lol. You and others make me spend $ i wouldn't normally spend.

Just ordered this but i'm sure i'll get good use of it.

Visit [COLOR="Red"]OctoForks[/COLOR] in Sales & Ventures

Website & Blog: [url]www.octoforks.com[/url]
Fwismoker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-18-2014, 10:50 AM   #118
peeps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fwismoker View Post
geek sometimes i really hate you! lol. You and others make me spend $ i wouldn't normally spend.

Amazon.com: Black & Decker NLP1800 Alligator Lopper 18-Volt Cordless Chain Saw: Patio, Lawn & Garden

Just ordered this but i'm sure i'll get good use of it.
Interested in your review!
- [B][COLOR="darkorange"]Major[/COLOR][/B] - Mini WSM (from SJS)

[B][COLOR="Blue"]Certified IMBAS MOINK Baller![/COLOR][/B] ([URL="http://bit.ly/1lr5cKx"]Certificate of Authenticity[/URL]) / [B][COLOR="Blue"]Join the fun in the [URL="http://bit.ly/1ew3H57"]Throwdowns[/URL]![/COLOR][/B]
peeps is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-18-2014, 11:28 AM   #119
luke duke
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Okay after messing around I figured out a way, that seems VERY safe to crosscut splits / small limbs:

My boyfriend had a couple $5 buckle ratchet strap thingies laying around and I just strapped one around the workbench top, saw and wood. This holds the wood in place well and keeps your hands free & safe. I stand on the left side of the saw (on the strapped down side) when cutting. I only use one hand in the entire operation and that's just pushign down on the handle.

Let me know how safe you think this is.

I know it is a lot more time consuming.. but I have all the time in the world, but only one left hand & set of fingers.
I hope that isn't a nice blade on the saw. I wouldn't be too pleased if my wife was using my $150 Forrest Chopmaster blade for anything other than it's intended purpose.
luke duke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-18-2014, 11:37 AM   #120
bbqgeekess
Babbling Farker

Default Need Advice: Wood is white in pecan limbs (w/ Photo)

As you most likely already know I got some bulk pecan wood recently. Most of it is splits but there are some that were whole limbs about 2-4 inches in diameter.

I chopped these with my miter saw (strapped down the wood, miter saw to the workbench with $5 buckle ratchet strap for each cut).

Then I split them in half with a hatchet & hammer.

Then I whittled the bark off pretty easily with my chef's knife.

So I have the following:

A couple of chunks from the splits are in the back for comparison.

Thing is I notice the wood in the limb is very white in comparison. Will this make for tasty smoking wood, or will the wood in the back taste better?

Thanks!