THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

SmokePigTails

Knows what a fatty is.
Simple enough question what are the best cookers/pits to run without a controller?

I would expect 270, maybe Humphreys. But I am curious to see what people with more experience have to say.

Simple enough question what are the best cookers/pits to run without a controller?

I would expect 270, maybe Humphreys. But I am curious to see what people with more experience have to say.

I couldn't believe how efficient my Humphreys worked w/o controller. I am testing a controller with it now but I ran it for over 23 hours at 300 on one load with very minor adjustments. It is pretty incredible.

My Hunsaker Drum will sit at whatever temp I want to cook at once the vents are set. A Guru, Stoker or any other ATC would be a waste of money. I was looking at 270's and from talking to owners they are very happy with temperature control.

A temp controller on UDS is sort of a waste. (that does not stop some people from using them tho)

Any good charcoal cooker, from a UDS to a Weber Summit to a big insulated cabinet. If it runs on charcoal and has a good draw a controller just isn’t needed.

Ya my hunsaker drums run awesome. Never had a cooker that can turn temp on a dime like this. Backwoods was great too without an atc. Wsm did solid and my egg doesn't need one.

All the charcoal cookers mentioned here already would be sufficient. The biggest thing will be your price point. Below $150? UDS. Below $400? Weber Smokey Mountain (WSM). Below $1000 and get a good Hunsaker/Gateway. Get into the thousands and you can do Chubby, Weekender, etc.

Rock solid Temp on Humphreys with no fan

No problem locking in temp and doing whole packers at 250° with one load of charcoal and no pit fan on my Humphreys Battle Box. With that said, I have to confess that I enjoy using my CyberQ as it helps the fire rebound more quickly if I’m opening the smoker during the cook.

All the charcoal cookers mentioned here already would be sufficient. The biggest thing will be your price point. Below $150? UDS. Below $400? Weber Smokey Mountain (WSM). Below $1000 and get a good Hunsaker/Gateway. Get into the thousands and you can do Chubby, Weekender, etc.

Weekenders are less than 1k.

Hey Humphrey owners. I’m going to be ordering a Pint in a couple of weeks. I’ve always used an Guru on my cooker but want to learn this one well. Can you offer some tips/advice on getting it up to temp and maintaining temp?

Hey Humphrey owners. I’m going to be ordering a Pint in a couple of weeks. I’ve always used an Guru on my cooker but want to learn this one well. Can you offer some tips/advice on getting it up to temp and maintaining temp?

I light my pint a little different than the tutorial. I fill the charcoal basket about 3/4 full and then pour a full lit chimney on top. I leave the bottom wide open and the top half open. I leave the charcoal door cracked until it gets within about 20 degrees of my ideal temp. Then i close the charcoal door and the ball intake to about a quarter. That method has worked for me and several people who i convinced to try it :)

I have a 2 battle boxes and a weekender from Humprheys. I can do a KCBS cook with no fan system and run it perfectly about 250.
I know where my dampers go and set it up and cook all night

I can also get some higher heat If I want. Hands down I would say Humprheys

I light my pint a little different than the tutorial. I fill the charcoal basket about 3/4 full and then pour a full lit chimney on top. I leave the bottom wide open and the top half open. I leave the charcoal door cracked until it gets within about 20 degrees of my ideal temp. Then i close the charcoal door and the ball intake to about a quarter. That method has worked for me and several people who i convinced to try it :)

Thanks Pharp. Where would I find that tutorial/

Thanks Pharp. Where would I find that tutorial/

I may have just heard so many people say it as I was researching it I just imagined my own tutorial. A lot of people suggest lighting the back right corner (closest to air intake). When I got mine I said "I am going to try lighting this just like I do my drum" and it worked so well I never tried the normal method. If I find an actual video tutorial I will post it.

Back