Any welders in here?

Czarbecue

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
I'm trying to do stuff to my Bandera wagon and I can't run from it any longer.

I need to weld.

My ignorance is showing but mixing gas seems like an unnecessary step so I've only been looking at flux core welders. Would they hold up something that will be barreling down the highway at some point? All of my tubes for the smoker legs are 3/16" tubes.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kI7GOVrB33c"]Flux-Cored Welding Basics: Tips for Flux-Cored Welding - YouTube[/ame]

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L737AuJF7zs"]Welding Common Joints Using Flux Cored - YouTube[/ame]

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rRfz5ie26Hg"]Harbor Freight 90 Amp Welder, How to Weld Tips and Tricks - YouTube[/ame]

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M5z2osw6EbA"]Basic Flux Cored Welding on Square Tubing - YouTube[/ame]

Flux core will weld as good as MIG, just more messy and more learning curve cause you can't see the weld pool. Quality weldability. Same, with some practice.

3/16" is not something I would do with a 90 amp Harbor Freight. Like in the above video you can made a decent looking weld, but it will have almost no penetration. That guys weld look OK, but I bet everything I own they are not strong enough to even hold my jock.

That guy in the above video with the Harbor Freight 90 amp machine is a 120% total brainless moron. When he gets a molten BB in his arm he will stop being stupid. Some just have to learn the hard way.

To answer your question, a flux core is just as good as MIG as long as you have a decent machine that can put out the needed amps for your application.

Last edited:
I'm trying to do stuff to my Bandera wagon and I can't run from it any longer. I need to weld.
My ignorance is showing but mixing gas seems like an unnecessary step so I've only been looking at flux core welders. Would they hold up something that will be barreling down the highway at some point? All of my tubes for the smoker legs are 3/16" tubes.
3/16" steel "V" ground weld area can be welded with a quality 110 mig. With gas or flux core (no gas) is doable when done correctly. The gas allows a much cleaner weld, no flux to knock lose/off after welding. For better penetration, a 120 mig or tig weld would be better.
Barreling down the highway, you better make sure you did it right. The end result could be something that ends up haunting you for life.

Use gas, cleaner and welding is easier for the beginner. Minimum 120 / 140 welder.

Have you considered going with an old school buzz box?
Not quite as easy as wire, but far more economical. For horizontal welds on 3/16" mild steel(A36), I generally run 5/16", 7018's at about 140 Amps (dc). If I need to run vertical welds, I will generally lay down a base bead with 5/16, 6011's at around 130 Amps (dc) and then follow with 7018's for the cap. Yeah it is slower, there is more splatter and constantly stoping to feed rods is a pia, but there is also something very reassuring about "feeling" the work and knowing the quality of your welds even before the slag has cooled.

What would a decent small gas welder with bottle n everything cost ?. $500.? $600 ? $700 ?
What welder do y'all recommend.?

I bought a cheap flux core from Northern Tool for $140 cuz I didn't have Funds for a gas rig and I got it to make fire grates and cooking grates, add/replace latches, hinges etc........ I'm not Building smokers just tinkering on them. I bought a bolt together trailer for BoomShuckaLucka being as I don't know how to Weld. I did "Weld" the firebox together on it......

Last edited:
What would a decent small gas welder with bottle n everything cost ?. $400 $500.? $600 ?
What welder do y'all recommend.?
I bought a cheap flux core from Northrrn Tool for $140 cuz I didn't have Funds for a gas rig and I got it to make fire grates and cooking grates, add/replace latches, hinges etc........ I'm not Building smokers just tinkering on them. I bought a bolt together trailer for BoomShuckaLucka being as I don't know how to Weld. I did "Weld" the firebox together on it......
Kind of like Ford/Chevy. But after using Miller for 26 yrs and Lincoln's for 35+ yrs. I own and prefer Lincoln. My 110 mig is 25+ yrs old. And still working, thou I do have to play with the voltage switch once in awhile. I'll end up replacing it one of these days.
In this area, don't know about yours. You should be able to get everything for $500-600.
Something to think about. I have a 40 and 125 bottles. The 125 is on my homebuilt cart. The 30 is for when I have to go somewhere and do a weld job. Much easier to transport.
You might be able to switch your over. Typically it is switch the leads under the cover. add a hose and gas. Some have built in regulators, some do not. Install a new liner and a new tip. I prefer .023 wire over .030 or .035 using 110v. Get extra tips and a spool of wire. Just so when you "have" to get a job done you do not run out. Been there done that.
Get the 3lb spools! not the 11lbers. It takes alot of power to drive the 11lber and typically burns out the motor sooner. IMHO.

The Hobart 140 is a very good welder, i used one for years building all kinds of stuff and if you know what you're doing, then it'll do what you need it to do. If you have only a couple projects to do, then flux-core will do you fine, no need for a bottle at this point in time. If you bought that welder, you'd get most of what you'd need. On top of the machine you'll need welding helmet, jacket, boots, gloves, plyers, grinder, and probably some extra wire. Practice till you're laying decent beads. Make sure the polarity of the machine is set correctly for flux core or MIG, many guys make this mistake. The machine will come with the correct liner, tips and cup but if you run other sizes of wire then you need different parts. When it comes time clean, shiny metal is critical. A dedicated 20 amp circuit is recommended but it can be done on a 15amp.

No, Miller owns Hobart, Miller is industrial, Hobart is hobby.

Lincoln Electric is owned by Lincoln Electric.

It kinda comes down to a ford/chevy thang really, unless your really intune. The way I see it is miller owns the tig world where Lincoln owns the mig world. I've been looking at Lincoln migs actually... Wanna buy my miller 211?

Back