MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 11-08-2016, 01:25 PM   #1
bproffer
Take a breath!

Default Yoder YS640 vs YS1500.....

Is it worth the difference in price?

I used to own a Yoder YS640 and once I got it dialed in, added the second fan and updated the firmware, it worked like a charm. I only sold it to upgrade to a Cookshack FEC100 since I was starting to dabble into bbq catering and needed the extra space. I no longer have any interest in cooking for a crowd and although I love the FEC, I'd like to go back to something more dual purpose.

Now, before you go and tell me to get a Shirley Fab or something else, I have made up my mind to stay with a pellet pooper. Not that there is anything wrong with a Shirley (truth be told I'd love to have one) but I would rather spend my weekends golfing than tending to a fire. I have had stick burners in the past, but they are just not for me right now.

So, for those of you who have cooked on both, or even if you haven't, is it worth it to pay twice the price to step up to the 1500? I have read and heard many great things about it, but is it $2k better than the 640?

Also, for those using the YS1500, do you use any other smoke accessories such as a Amazin tube or mojo bricks to enhance the smoke output?

Thanks!

And if anyone knows of a used YS1500 for sale anywhere in or near California, I am all ears!

Old 11-08-2016, 03:26 PM   #2
IXL
is one Smokin' Farker

You have owned a YS640. Will the stuff you plan to cook fit into that platform? If so, save two grand. If not, spend the money required to have the needed size.

Of course, there's always the "cool factor" of that big ol' YS1500...........:)
IXL is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 11-08-2016, 04:21 PM   #3
rwalters
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Robb

^^^^ What he said! :)
Come follow my adventures on Instagram: @rwaltersbbq
rwalters is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-08-2016, 05:36 PM   #4
mattmountz94
Babbling Farker

Stick with the 640. 2k is a lot of money

Old 11-08-2016, 05:43 PM   #5
bbqwizard
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Phillip

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwalters View Post
^^^^ What he said! :)
^^^ Yep.

FWIW, I absolutely LOVE my 1500. I love it so much I want the new (pellet) Cimmaron too (for larger parties/vending). I can cook a small amount if i want, or a decent amount if I want. I have not found a pellet cooker that puts out the same flavor as the 1500. It's just different. IMO it puts just the right amount of smoke on the meat. Of course if you want more smoke, then you could, of course add Mojobricks(r).
By His grace, for His glory!
bbqwizard is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 11-08-2016, 08:30 PM   #6
Blanton
is One Chatty Farker

No experience with the 640, but I always heard flavor was better on the 1500. Can say that there is no need for a tube in the 1500. Love mine

Old 11-08-2016, 08:36 PM   #7
Nugetsius
On the road to being a farker

Its simply about space. Until late this year I was doing KCBS comps on a single ys1500. So, one brisket, two pork butts, 18 chicken thighs, and 4 racks of ribs. At one point during each cook, all of that would be on the smoker. You can't do that with a 640.

I didn't notice a diffence in flavor between my 640 and 1500. The 1500 also can't go quite as hot as the 640 (500 vs 600 degrees I think) and the 1500 didn't work as well to sear steaks with the grill grates.

I'll say that I much prefer the bigger space on the 1500, but I wouldn't spend the extra on it if I didn't need it sometimes.

Yoder YS1500
Kamado Joe Classic 18"
Weber Smokey Mountain 14"
Jambo J-3

Palmetto Pitmasters Competition Team
[URL="https://www.facebook.com/pages/Palmetto-Pitmasters/328468683977456"]Follow Palmetto Pitmasters on Facebook[/URL]
Nugetsius is offline   Reply With Quote

2 members found this post helpful.
Old 11-08-2016, 08:38 PM   #8
bproffer
Take a breath!

Thanks for the replies so far. The extra 2K is a lot, but I don't want to feel like I left something on the table. I'll be selling the FEC100 and my Santa Maria grill trailer so that will help defray the cost substantially. If the flavor is noticeably better on the 1500 than the 640 then I think I may have to bite the bullet.

Old 11-09-2016, 09:17 AM   #9
Sammy_Shuford
is One Chatty Farker

On a LONG cook, I use my 1500. Thicker body hold heat better, less pellet consumption.
Ribs, chicken, go my my 640.

(bought 640 used, needed more space for church cooks, bought YS1500, no regreats!)
[/LEFT]
[FONT=Verdana][COLOR=black][COLOR=magenta]Purple Thermapen:laugh:[/COLOR][/COLOR][/FONT]
MASTER Judge, SCBA
Carolina Pit Master
[URL]http://patio-q.com/[/URL]
Sammy_Shuford is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-10-2016, 08:46 AM   #10
NCGrimbo
is One Chatty Farker

I will tell you that the 640 can hold a lot of meat if you have the second shelf. I can see cooking 10 to 12 butts on it with some space for fatties. I've run it full with 6 baby backs, 2 butts, 8 fatties, and a bunch of wings. The only time I've wished that I got the 1500 is when there was a 99 cent per pound sale on butts so I could load up on them.
"At what point did we forget that the Space Shuttle was, essentially, a program that strapped human beings to an explosion and tried to stab through the sky with fire and math? How jaded do we have to be to lose collective interest in that?" - Robert Brockway
-----------------------------------------------------------
Weber 26.5"
Yoder YS640

-NCGrimbo
NCGrimbo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-10-2016, 10:03 AM   #11
rorkin
Full Fledged Farker

I ended up with a 1500 because I was lucky enough to find a cheap one used.
That being said, I love it. My only complaint is with the comp cart it is one heavy beast and for me not easy to move even on concrete. I non starter on gravel driveway, just digs in.
I run the wheels onto boards when outside. I have had to jack it up when it dug into stone driveway. The wheels do not pivot easily and changing directions is cumbersome.
Perhaps the 640 being lighter is easier to work with.
GMG Davy Crockett
KCBS Master Judge/Certified Table Captain/100+ Club
SCA Prime Judge

"I have more smokers than I need but not as many as I want "
rorkin is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-17-2017, 12:25 AM   #12
Mankite
Knows what a fatty is.

I am considering these two options also. Have you purchased the 1500 since starting this thread?
Mankite is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-17-2017, 08:58 AM   #13
bproffer
Take a breath!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mankite View Post
I am considering these two options also. Have you purchased the 1500 since starting this thread?
Unfortunately no. I was all set to buy either the 640 or 1500 but was intrigued by the Traeger Timberline 1300, so I bought one. This was back in May. Only in the last month have I been able to use it. There were a lot of problems right out of the gate which have been documented here in another thread, so i wont go into detail here. Hindsight being what it is, I probably should have gone with a 640 right from the get-go. I owned one in the past and know how it cooks. It is a great cooker. i just couldn't see myself needing the space of the 1500 and I just couldn't justify the extra $2k. I may end up selling the Timberline and ordering a 640 at some point, unless I can find a great deal on a 1500, but so far no luck here in Cali.

Old 10-17-2017, 04:36 PM   #14
Bigdog
somebody shut me the fark up.

I have heard the the Timberline has lots of problems. The 640 is the Lexus of pellet poopers and the most versatile cooker on the market. My suggestion is to sell the Treager and get the Yoder. If you liked the 640, get another one. But if you have the cash and want the bigger cooker, get the 1500.
Pitman for Andy Groneman at the All Things BBQ cooking classes.
Smoke on Brother KC
Father of the Fatty (the name) 4/20/04 on the BBQ Brethren with inspiration from Brother parrothead.
Bigdog is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 10-17-2017, 05:54 PM   #15
Joshw
Babbling Farker

According to Yoder the two cookers are identical except for space and looks. They have the same controller. I haven't used a 1500 but love my 640. It would be hard for me to believe that there is a pellet cooker out there that could be any better. I have done no mods and don't see a need to, except I did just get some gasket tape to seal the smoke stack better. It leaks where it goes into the cooker. I have had 6 butts on my 640, I would think 12 would be pretty crowded. I think about 8 slabs of ribs without rib racks would be about it. If you plan on cooking more than that, I would really consider the 1500 if you can afford it. I have never had a cooker, that I wished was smaller.
Joshw is offline   Reply With Quote