MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 12-11-2012, 07:23 PM   #1
Dubs
Got Wood.

Default Question on Money Muscle

With the money muscle - how many of you separate it from the butt before you cook and then cook the money muscle and butt simultaneously? The reason I am asking is I was watching BBQ Pit Masters and one of the cooks had done this to have bark all around the money muscle. It makes sense but I would be concerned about over/under cooking the MM it if I had cook it at the same temps and times I would do a full bone-in butt. Not being an expert I thought it looked like a good idea but wondered how to cook it at 275 where I typically would cook a bone-in butt.
Dubs is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-11-2012, 07:37 PM   #2
Stoke&Smoke
Babbling Farker

Illegal under KCBS rules. You have to cook it as one piece. Which isn't to say you can't do some creative trimming and still be within the rules, and get an (almost) all-around smoke ring. But then, judges aren't supposed to pay attention to the smoke ring:o

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using Tapatalk 2
KCBS CJ/TC #17139 Member ILBBQS
Too many cookers to list :crazy:
Stoke&Smoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 12-11-2012, 08:11 PM   #3
IamMadMan
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoke&Smoke View Post
Illegal under KCBS rules. You have to cook it as one piece. Which isn't to say you can't do some creative trimming and still be within the rules, and get an (almost) all-around smoke ring. But then, judges aren't supposed to pay attention to the smoke ring:o

Thanks for the info.....
IamMadMan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-11-2012, 08:20 PM   #4
Lion Bout The Q
Full Fledged Farker

I always cook 2 butts also, so I can pull one and catch the muscles I want just right to slice on the other
Lion Bout The Q is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-11-2012, 08:42 PM   #5
Dubs
Got Wood.

Ok - not smoke ring Smoke&Stoke - bark. Although your answer may answer the question.
Dubs is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-11-2012, 08:51 PM   #6
Boshizzle
somebody shut me the fark up.

Not legal for comps but perfectly fine for backyard cooking. Here is how I do it.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=134259

Thanks from: --->
Old 12-11-2012, 09:36 PM   #7
kcmike
is One Chatty Farker

For comps, you cut the MM away from the butt, so that it just hangs on by a small area along the bottom (fat cap side). Then, you cook the butt as a "whole" piece. It takes great skill (which I don't possess) to get the MM to finish at the same time, but at a different temp than the rest of the butt. Most of the time, I end up under-cooking the butt for the sake of the MM, or else I cook two butts, one for the MM and the other for pulling.

[URL="https://www.oakridgebbq.com"][B][U][SIZE="3"]~ Visit Oakridge BBQ ~[/SIZE][/U][/B][/URL]

Ole Hickory CTO
26½" Weber Kettle
kcmike is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-11-2012, 09:43 PM   #8
jasonjax
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Jason

So one stays kosher with KCBS rules by trimming it such that it is just barely still connected to the rest of the shoulder?

Is this what most of the "big-time" competitiors do?

I imagine you want to slice around 185~190 versus pulled at ~195-205?

I've not competed in anything professional yet so forgive my ignorance on the subject, but it is an interesting one as I am still chasing the perfect money muscle for backyard cooking.
jasonjax is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-11-2012, 09:56 PM   #9
kcmike
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonjax View Post
So one stays kosher with KCBS rules by trimming it such that it is just barely still connected to the rest of the shoulder?

I've not competed in anything professional yet so forgive my ignorance on the subject, but it is an interesting one as I am still chasing the perfect money muscle for backyard cooking.
Yes, yes, and yes.

A lot of teams who use this method that only cook one butt, split the difference and shoot for 190º-195º and just use what they can from the rest of the butt.

[URL="https://www.oakridgebbq.com"][B][U][SIZE="3"]~ Visit Oakridge BBQ ~[/SIZE][/U][/B][/URL]

Ole Hickory CTO
26½" Weber Kettle
kcmike is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-11-2012, 10:41 PM   #10
Hoss
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Quote:

If you are in a comp,cook 2,one with the MM ALMOST SEVERED,the other just as you would a normal butt.Pull the MM when it hits 145- 150 IT. Start the regular butt a few hours before the MM specific butt.Sure I'll get razzed,but it works.
Or better yet cook 4,2 MM specific,2 regular,make friends with the leftovers,butts are cheap.
Hoss is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-12-2012, 07:12 AM   #11
que_dawg
On the road to being a farker

Quote:

^^^^

he said kosher while talking about cooking pork butt!
[url]www.facebook.com/superiorsmokers[/url]
Head Pitmaster In Charge, Superior Smokers
que_dawg is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-12-2012, 07:38 AM   #12
Jaskew82
is One Chatty Farker

I have found in my limited competition experience that the money muscle can stand to get to 200* and still slice nicely (but requires an electric knife to get good slices about 1/2" thick). At this point, the "dark meat" around the blade is also tender but not mushy; allowing you to get great chunks of meat for turn in.

2013 Stumps Classic - Delivered 4/15/13
Large BGE - Rescued 2012
2010 WSM 22.5"
2010 Weber genesis gas grill
Rescued 22.5 Weber One-touch gold
Yellow Thermopen
BBQ Guru CyberQ
2011 Built UDS - Retired
Jaskew82 is offline   Reply With Quote