MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 05-29-2011, 05:17 PM   #1
Chubby
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Default butt temp stall

ok i have read plenty of threads about temp stall when smoking a butt, so i was expecting it.
This being my first cook I just want to ask acouple questions before i screw it up and have pizza for dinner.
Brought uds up to about 240, placed butt in center of rack with wired meat thermo placed in end about 3 inches into thickest part.
Started cook at 9 am. temp was about 45 degrees, temp ran up pretty quick the first 3 hours.
By noon it was up to 145, backed uds temp down to about 210 (afraid it was too hot). Temp rose to 189 degrees by 2 30. its now 5 15 and the temp is still 189 degrees.
I dont have an instant read thermo yet. Everything i read said the stall temp is around 160 to 165.
Should i pull and foil, be patient and let it ride to 195 to 205, or start ordering pizza?
Sorry for the newbie question but im sure you guys will understand.
Thanks

Old 05-29-2011, 05:21 PM   #2
bassbuster33
On the road to being a farker

I would be patient, but if you need to move it along you could always foil it.

Old 05-29-2011, 05:26 PM   #3
bassbuster33
On the road to being a farker

BTW, I have one in the stall myself. It's at 162 right now and it's been between that and 155 for the past 4 hours. Cooking at 225.

Thanks from:--->
Old 05-29-2011, 05:38 PM   #4
Braddog
Full Fledged Farker

The stall usually happens a bit lower than 189 (160-170). I'd pull and reposition my thermometer and take another reading. This will also give a chance to "feel" how the butt is doing. Probe should slide in easily with no resistance.

As stated, you can foil to move it along if you start to get pinched for time.

Cheers,
Braddog
Large Big Green Egg
Bubba Keg
Braddog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-29-2011, 05:47 PM   #5
Rubmybutt
Full Fledged Farker

Braddog and bassbuster are right on, if the probe slides in like a warm knife thru butter your real close. Yes reset the probe and read it again, your thermometer just might read a little different. Also I just tried this on my last brisket, I shook the grate a little bit to see if the meat was on it's way. When the meat moves like jello you are very close. So far this has worked for me, good luck and don't forget the prons!
Fast Eddy 100-Backwoods Competitor- Backwoods Extended Party-Cookshack SM-160 Weber Smokey Mountian 22.5-New Broanfels offset-Fire Majic Aurora 660A-Weber Genisis (1979)-Weber Genisis 330-Weber Performer-Weber kettle 22.5
Cajun Injector turkey fryer
Fastest [COLOR=darkorange]ORANGE[/COLOR] splash-proof Thermapan BBQ Guru WIFI.
Just one my first chili cookoff Dec 1st 2012
Rubmybutt is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-29-2011, 06:27 PM   #6
got14u
is one Smokin' Farker

another thing is to "twist" the bone and see if it will come out easy. If so it's ready no need to take it any farther. Also you can crank that temp back up as well 245 is not to hot for a butt....good luck

Old 05-29-2011, 06:33 PM   #7
expatpig
is One Chatty Farker

Sounds like everyones in a stall mode...I'm in 8.5hrs @ 165 been there for 2 hrs pit temp @ 230, patience....patience and I'm the only one celebrating Memorial Day in my town!
[B][COLOR=red]Napoleon Apollo[/COLOR][/B]
[COLOR=#ff0000][B]GOSM[/B][/COLOR]

[COLOR=blue][B][I]CSBBQA, KCBS, NOBS(Northern Ontario Barbecue Society)Professional Barbecue Team. USAJFKCENMA.[/I][/B][/COLOR]
expatpig is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-29-2011, 07:17 PM   #8
Parruthead
Full Fledged Farker

I did two butts last night and they stalled at 180 for about 4 hours.. twice the temp dipped from 250 to 200. Patience !! They'll come around and they'll be well worth it!
1- 84" Lang wide Body, 1-22.5" WSM,4-18.5" WSM's 1-UDS with custom cart, #2 La Caja China 2- Weber Performers, 2-22.5" Weber OTS 1-18" Weber OTS 2-Orion Cookers, 1-8' Event Gasser,
1- Terracotta pig and 1-Terracotta Elephant and [B]One very understanding wife[/B]...
Parruthead is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-29-2011, 07:41 PM   #9
GreenDrake
is One Chatty Farker

I had a two plus hour stall a couple weeks ago, that temp seems a little high to stall out for the collagen breakdown. Like others have said, reset and check her again. Eat up.
GreenDrake is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-29-2011, 07:53 PM   #10
AustinKnight
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : D

Man I've never had stalls like this lol this is getting me scared for the butt I'm going to put on in a few hours. My butts take about 10 to 11 hours I pull them at 200 Ive never foiled them I just try to keep the smoker between 225 an 250 for the smoke. It will work out for you just have patience.

Old 05-29-2011, 07:55 PM   #11
Chubby
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

i repositioned the probe and it was 192. ran the heat up to about 240 and its now reading 201. gonna check the bone but im pretty sure its done.
Thanks again

Old 05-29-2011, 08:18 PM   #12
El Ropo
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Roger

Nothing wrong with ramping the temp up to push through the stall. I would of opened another intake, and cruised. I like hot and fast though.

2016 Fuji Absolute 2.0 LE (for burning off all the great BBQ)
El Ropo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-29-2011, 08:24 PM   #13
Bbq Bubba
somebody shut me the fark up.

FYI for next time.
You weren't stalled at 192, you had your drum @ 210.you could cook all night and the temp wouldn't rise.
#detroitporkmafia
BBQ Person of the Year 2013
Bbq Bubba is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-30-2011, 08:15 AM   #14
Cook
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Jay

You were only 20 degrees from drum temp to meat temp. It will take a good long time for the meat temp to creep up like that...but it eventually would have.

The "stall" is absolutely nothing to worry about. I never worry about it...heck, I never even see it. Why don't I see it? Because I never look for it. I KNOW that my meat isn't going to be done for a certain amount of time...so I keep my eyes and fingers off of it.

The last butt I cooked earlier this week went on at 12am. I got up to add some wood at 3am. I then checked the meat at 10am. Probe slid in with no resistance so I took it off and held it until I was ready to eat. I don't even know what the temperature was...I didn't look...I didn't care. There was no stall because I let the meat cook undisturbed and I have no desire to look while it's cooking.

Stop looking at your meat every hour and the stall will be of no concern to you either.

If a tree falls in the forest and no one is there to hear it, does it make a noise?
Cook is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-30-2011, 09:17 AM   #15
Parruthead
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cook View Post
If a tree falls in the forest and no one is there to hear it, does it make a noise?

Yes
1- 84" Lang wide Body, 1-22.5" WSM,4-18.5" WSM's 1-UDS with custom cart, #2 La Caja China 2- Weber Performers, 2-22.5" Weber OTS 1-18" Weber OTS 2-Orion Cookers, 1-8' Event Gasser,
1- Terracotta pig and 1-Terracotta Elephant and [B]One very understanding wife[/B]...
Parruthead is offline   Reply With Quote