MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 10-15-2017, 09:16 AM   #46
Itsdjluna
Found some matches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JokerBroker View Post
It is surprisingly easy to cook on. The wind was a bit gusty and swirling and the draft was just steady all day. I'd add a split about every 50 minutes or so and the temps would only fluctuate a few degrees. There is also plenty of room to leave a split on the side of the fire to preheat it. That really helped too. I cooked a 15 pound prime brisket trimmed down to 11 pounds in just 7 hours at 275° with internal temps probing between 200°-210° with a great texture. No wrapping and no water used. I wanted to keep my first one simple. Kosher salt and pepper rub. (sorry for sideways pic)

Very nice rig. How did the brisket come out?

Thanks from:--->

Old 10-15-2017, 09:59 AM   #47
lastmajordude
is Blowin Smoke!

Name/Nickname : Dude

Wow!!!!!! Go big or go home!!!!!!!!! Outstanding lookin pit

Thanks from:--->
Old 10-15-2017, 10:07 AM   #48
JokerBroker
On the road to being a farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by txsmkmstr View Post
I can't claim the 5* tolerance but did find it to be true the far end got hotter initially.
I guess you should just keep moving your plates a little at a time until you get there. My theory on the heat being hotter on the left initially has to do with it taking a while to heat up the hundreds of pounds of steel that the firebox and grill are made of. While they are still relatively cool, they may keep the right side of the cooking chamber cooler. I bought an IR thermometer and when I wasn't pointing it at my foot or a wall or my dog's butt, I was using it on the grill and the outside of the firebox. Not adjusting for emissivity, the grill gets to about 400° when the cook chamber is cruising along at 275°. The exterior of the firebox took a long time to get to about 350°. The hottest wall of the firebox was the one on the cook chamber side. That approached 400°. I would say my logs may have been closest to that wall of the four though so that could have affected the readings and not the fact that the draft was flowing that way.

Old 10-15-2017, 10:14 AM   #49
JokerBroker
On the road to being a farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itsdjluna View Post
How did the brisket come out?
Everyone enjoyed it. I always think something could be better about everything I cook though. As I mentioned in Post #11, I kept this first cook simple. I think next time I will wrap it in butcher paper for the last couple of hours. The cook after that, I may introduce some water and see if it makes much difference.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fullsizeoutput_3dd0.jpg (85.7 KB, 97 views)
File Type: jpg fullsizeoutput_3dd1.jpg (35.3 KB, 96 views)
File Type: jpg fullsizeoutput_3dd2.jpg (58.7 KB, 96 views)

Thanks from: --->