Shirley Fabrication Smoker- Instagram

Nice .... Thanks ........ Do I want one ... yes !!! Do I need one .... ???? Their stuff always looks nice. Tossed that poker like it was hot !!!

Workhorse must must really be gaining a good reputation as you have several clones popping up. This is a good looking pit, and Paul makes as good a cooker as anyone.

Excellent for the buyers, as more choices is always a good thing.

Here is the YouTube video that Paul posted yesterday: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gh8jDjeYShs&t=4s Similar to a Workhorse 1975T but with Shirley differences. I'm sure this will be a popular addition to the Shirley cookers. It will be interesting to see if Shirley offers their take on the "Cowboy Firebox" option that Workhorse has.

Workhorse must must really be gaining a good reputation as you have several clones popping up. This is a good looking pit, and Paul makes as good a cooker as anyone.

Excellent for the buyers, as more choices is always a good thing.

Or, there are a lot of people like myself that appreciate a "classic" old-school direct flow Texas-style offset and want to stay with Shirley Fabrication!

Clone is a loaded word as well. Do Ford, Chevy, and Dodge clone each other? Then there's Mill Scale, Moberg, and Austin Smokeworks too.

Or, there are a lot of people like myself that appreciate a "classic" old-school direct flow Texas-style offset and want to stay with Shirley Fabrication!

Clone is a loaded word as well. Do Ford, Chevy, and Dodge clone each other? Then there's Mill Scale, Moberg, and Austin Smokeworks too.

Yeah, I know clone is a loaded word, but you can easily see the similarities of the Shirley to the Workhorse. Not do much the rest you list, or even Primitive Pits. Right now, I don’t think I’d rate the Shirley in the same ballpark as those you listed. Not that the Shirley pit isn’t quality, but Paul hasn’t built enough direct flows to get all the kinks worked out just yet. He will though, I am sure.

Yeah, I know clone is a loaded word, but you can easily see the similarities of the Shirley to the Workhorse. Not do much the rest you list, or even Primitive Pits. Right now, I don’t think I’d rate the Shirley in the same ballpark as those you listed. Not that the Shirley pit isn’t quality, but Paul hasn’t built enough direct flows to get all the kinks worked out just yet. He will though, I am sure.

Without looking at the firebox "throat" and the collector area, it's hard to say how close they are other than general external appearance IMHO.

The ASW I looked at may or may not look externally similar to other pits but, inside it has some uniqueness.

I'm not sure I would want to be a Shirley direct flow beta tester but, I also bet it is a pretty darn good smoker in its own right.

Those Verticals look great. I'd get one, but my wife says only one smoker at a time and I've got a 24x36 but want a larger patio model, elevated straight back with a Warmer, pretty much the setup in our avatar, so that will be my "one smoker" and I'll let someone else in FL enjoy the 24x36.

Beautiful cooker. The craftsmanship is elite. That vertical is pretty darn sweet too. I might even know that William guy. :-D

The Verticals look great, but my wife says only one big smoker on the patio at a time and I want to get a model like yours, but with just one door on the cook chamber, and a warmer, to replace my 24x36. I'll let someone else in FL enjoy that one once I get the larger cooker on site.

Those Verticals look great. I'd get one, but my wife says only one smoker at a time and I've got a 24x36 but want a larger patio model, elevated straight back with a Warmer, pretty much the setup in our avatar, so that will be my "one smoker" and I'll let someone else in FL enjoy the 24x36.

Hah its too bad you aren't in KC, I'm probably going to be selling mine in the next year or so to switch to a direct flow. Its a 24x36, elevated straight back with elevated warmer on wagon wheels. Hip roofs on all the chambers.

Yeah, I know clone is a loaded word, but you can easily see the similarities of the Shirley to the Workhorse.

I agree they're very similar. Maybe not clones, but step-siblings. Same steel 3/8" thickness. Firebox (27x24) and chamber (48x24) are identical in size & door placement. In one video I saw, I believe the throat is a half moon shape with an angled deflector, similar to the Workhorse, although the deflector looks larger in the Shirley. The collector looks a tad lower on the Shirley, and the Shirley appears to have a higher stack. Both have folding stacks and the linseed oil finish.

I have a Workhorse on order, and the fact that Shirley chose a similar design makes me feel even more confident in my purchase. I think it's a win-win for both companies as future customers narrow down their choices for a traditional offset.

I was a beta tester for shirley once. Best cooker I ever owned. Sure they did some tweaking on the straight back after they built mine but that's probably something all builders should do. They are not gonna release a subpar product.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

Hah its too bad you aren't in KC, I'm probably going to be selling mine in the next year or so to switch to a direct flow. Its a 24x36, elevated straight back with elevated warmer on wagon wheels. Hip roofs on all the chambers.

Darin: Yes, only wish I were closer as that’s pretty much my build list.

I'm next door in Colorado. When you are ready to sell ping me! I'm always buying and selling cookers.

Back