• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Mediocre Brisket Woes

5am

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
My first year of competition BBQ, and I'm having difficulties figuring out what judges are looking for in brisket. The last 3 competitions my brisket scores have been almost identical(mediocre), mid 160's. First thought was to look at what I'm getting scored down on, and this is where I'm getting confused. My Judging sheets all look something similar to this.
J1 J2 J3 J4 J5 J6
889 989 989 988 988 888

I'm not getting any scores that are "low", but I'm not blowing any judges away either. I kind of feel like I'm stuck in a rut, and I don't want to just start changing everything.

As I understand tenderness, the brisket should pull apart very easily but still hold up under its own weight. What separates an 8 from a 9? I'm hearing from mulitple cooks that judges are wanting it a little more firm than that, and that some judges are testing tenderness by seeing if they can fold it in half, or roll it up without the slice breaking(this seems weird to me)?

My taste is pretty standard commercial injection/commercial rub/beef based wrap. I usually dip the slices in au jus and then sauce/au jus over the slices. I did think it was a little salty, so I've knocked that down some. I also really like sauce on brisket, but have heard some judges dislike it, or will score down for sauce on slices, so maybe that's hurting me a bit?

I've talked to some cooks I respect a great deal, so I feel more confident about the direction I'm headed. I've also signed up for a class. I just wanted to open up the discussion here to see if anyone else had some advice...good or bad.

As far as tenderness, I have personally had better scores with briskets that are pushing it to almost too tender. Still holding up on its own weight but not by much. I refer to it as 2-handed brisket because you almost have to move slices with two hands so it stays together. Take all that with a grain of salt because I don't compete much and only get lucky from time to time, but have received a few calls in brisket.

If I were to ever decided I wanted to competition cook (which I likely NEVER will), the first thing I would look to do is to take a class and become a judge...then judge a few comps.

I think that's the best way to figure out what judges look for.

I agree, that's what I did and it was definitely helpful (and fun). After that I knew what they were looking for and got to taste a variety of food that I did not personally cook.

As it turns out, that doesn't necessarily help much for execution :caked: :razz:

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll have to do some testing with the flavors I'm using and see what could be coming off strange/offensive. We have had some successful brisket walks, but its so inconsistent for me. I also do not have very many competitions under my belt, which leads to second guessing and perhaps over analyzing what I'm doing. I have a gut feeling that what I'm doing to finish the meat in the box is probably whats hurting me(au jus/sauce/finish dust). As far as judging, I just really don't have any desire to do it. I respect judges and what they do, but I prefer to cook.

We are feeling the same way and have been looking for the right class to primarily revise our brisket cook. Can any of you all make a suggestion for a class that addresses brisket particularly well? We are in the mid-Atlantic if that helps you to narrow suggestions. Thanks!

• Thanks
Reactions: 5am
It seems you have appearance pretty well nailed.

50% on tenderness, so the dilemma is it slightly overcooked or slightly undercooked (yeah I know over/under). It appears you are almost there. Do you tug test your briskets? If I get a slight spring on the tug test, I know the cook nailed it.

All judges knocked you down a point for taste, so there obviously is some small thing they don't like, or find a lack thereof. Most of the time I mark down brisket is because it is way too salty. Occasionally I find one too smoky (creosote), but brisket can handle smoke pretty well. Here in Texas it is S&P, and occasionally the pepper is heavy handed. I don't think I'm different from other judges. Layers of complexity always gets my attention. Do you use a finishing dust? A little savory taste is always nice.

FWIW.

• Thanks
All 8's in taste, I would suspect you don't have an offensive taste, but not a taste that pops and stands out. That is what your products you say you are using say too

• Thanks
We are feeling the same way and have been looking for the right class to primarily revise our brisket cook. Can any of you all make a suggestion for a class that addresses brisket particularly well? We are in the mid-Atlantic if that helps you to narrow suggestions. Thanks!

How far are you willing to travel?

All 8's in taste, I would suspect you don't have an offensive taste, but not a taste that pops and stands out. That is what your products you say you are using say too

I have the same smokers as you and am trying to eliminate the Yoder in comps due to weight. If you dont mind my asking, Which meats do you cook on which smoker at what temp.

I am hot and fast and looking to do big meats 325-50 and chicken,ribs 275.

I could probably get by with the yoder alone but am think a drum, the humphries(qubed box) and the wsm. all easier to move , just more to pay attention to than the yoder

Thanks in advance

For me, not getting that 9 score on taste usually is a result of a too strong au jus/beef stock that was used which in my opinion tends to detract from the taste of the meat and I taste more of the au jus/beef stock.

I would say that most judges in the SE do not want to see sauce on brisket. I had one this weekend that A1 on it. Yuck!

Can you recommend a good class in the Houston area? I like the idea

Back