MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

View Poll Results: What is the preferred type of dry rub you use most of the time?
An original homemade rub 43 35.54%
A commercially sold rub 43 35.54%
A BBQ cookbook rub recipe followed "to the letter" 3 2.48%
A commercially sold rub that I like to "doctor up" 8 6.61%
A BBQ cookbook rub recipe that I like to "doctor up" 24 19.83%
Voters: 121. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-15-2011, 07:30 PM   #1
Bogus Chezz Hawg
is One Chatty Farker

Default Dry Rubs - Homemade vs. Commercial

I see a lot of threads discussing commercially sold rubs. NTTAWWT...
Doesn't anyone make homemade rubs anymore?
I just had to stir the pot on this one.

Old 11-15-2011, 07:37 PM   #2
caseydog
somebody shut me the fark up.

I do both. For the most part, I make my own, often using other people's recipes, and then adapting them.

I do like to buy an interesting sounding commercial rub, just to try something new. And, I have been known to make my own version of that commercial rub.

I have absolutely nothing against commercial rubs. I just enjoy making rubs.

CD
caseydog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-15-2011, 07:48 PM   #3
Q-Dat
Babbling Farker

I usually make my own, and most of the time I never make them the same. However I try to write down what goes into them in case I really hit on something.

If I don't feel like making my own, I usually just hit it with some Tony Chachere's. But I cannot stress this enough. TONY CHACHERE'S IS NOT A RUB!!!!! It is a SEASONED SALT!!! Sprinkle it on as if it were straight up salt!
Q-Dat is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-15-2011, 08:02 PM   #4
qapla
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Qapla

I make my own. I have tried a few commercial rubs but did not think they were any better (or not as good) as what I make at home.

Also, when I look at rubs in the store and then look at the prices ...

I know some say that making your own is not really any cheaper then buying a ready-made. Maybe it is perception, but it doesn't seem that way to me.

Besides, I always have what I need to make a rub at home.

Like others have said, I usually just throw things together ... don't measure most of the time. Even though it means that I don't get the exact same rub twice, that is the wonder of Q

Old 11-15-2011, 08:05 PM   #5
Moose

Name/Nickname : Richard

I used to use only homemade rubs, because at the time, I wasn't aware of any commercial rubs that were worth a hoot, and a couple of mine were really good. But I recently tried some of the high quality Brethren rubs, like Rub Company and Simply Marvelous, and they really are great. So now I use both, depending on what I'm cooking.
Moose is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 11-15-2011, 08:06 PM   #6
colonel00
Quintessential Chatty Farker

I make my own for use on large meats like butts. However, for ribs and chicken and such, I like to try different commercial rubs. I just find that with bigger cuts the minor differences in most rubs is lost where it can really stand out on the smaller meats.
[B][COLOR=red]WWWWFBBQADD[/COLOR][/B]
[B]0 out of 1 members found this post helpful[/B] :thumb:

“I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives.” ― Ralph Waldo Emerson
colonel00 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-15-2011, 08:11 PM   #7
Pugsley
Knows what a fatty is.

I could mark all of those ! Like to try all kinds. Mostly like a commercial rub. Also like a popular cookbook version "by the book".

Old 11-15-2011, 09:20 PM   #8
tamadrummer
is one Smokin' Farker

I will take a commercially prepared rub any day over trying to find the highest quality ingredients and affording them to make rubs when so many others have already done that and they have the hook up on the best of the best spices at the best prices out there. I cannot in any way compete with a Big Brother Smoke or KC Mike or Ryan Chester or Todd or Fred Bernardo or any of these other micro-manufacturers and I really don't want to. They offer so much at such fair prices, it is silly to try and do it myself.

Old 11-15-2011, 09:45 PM   #9
Twelvegaugepump
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Kevin

I echo tamadrummer, support the little guy who has it mastered.
Twelvegaugepump is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 11-15-2011, 09:47 PM   #10
sbramm
is one Smokin' Farker

Once I started using rubs from steph at simply marvelous, I stopped making my own. I get my brethren discount, a great product and fast service. What else can I ask for?

Old 11-15-2011, 09:49 PM   #11
SirPorkaLot

Name/Nickname : John

I have never used a store bought rub.
I usually go as far as to grind my own spices as I am making the rub.

What I use will depend on the meat or veggie being cooked, but I have several "go to" spices that the rubs are built around.

Old 11-15-2011, 09:57 PM   #12
kennedyma
On the road to being a farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbramm View Post
Once I started using rubs from steph at simply marvelous, I stopped making my own. I get my brethren discount, a great product and fast service. What else can I ask for?
Exact same thing here. I just don't have the time to get all the spices together.

Got my sample pack of SM and haven't looked back. Great stuff!!
kennedyma is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 11-15-2011, 10:18 PM   #13
caseydog

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennedyma View Post
Exact same thing here. I just don't have the time to get all the spices together.

Got my sample pack of SM and haven't looked back. Great stuff!!
Okay, if you were to find already cooked BBQ that you thought was awesome, would you sell your smokers and stop cooking?

Making rubs is part of the cooking process, IMO. Sure, I like trying commercial rubs, but I cannot see myself ever giving up on spending that 20 minutes tops to mix up a rub.

That's like buying a chili mix, or a jar of sauce, and saying, "that's good enough for me."

Again, I have nothing against commercial rubs, but there is something intrinsically fun about making something yourself. If not, we would all just eat out.

It is not an either-or thing, IMO. If you only make your own rubs, you are probably missing some good flavors. If you only use commercial rubs, you ain't a cook. That may piss some people off, but IMO, good cooking is a journey -- no, it's an adventure -- it's certainly not a destination.

CD
caseydog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-15-2011, 11:14 PM   #14
kennedyma
On the road to being a farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by caseydog View Post
If you only use commercial rubs, you ain't a cook. That may piss some people off, but IMO, good cooking is a journey -- no, it's an adventure -- it's certainly not a destination.
CD
Okay, I'm going to bite on this one.

What about using "commercial meat?" Are you not a cook if you don't raise your own pigs? Heck go one step up and say are you not a cook because you don't butcher your own pigs? Why don't you do this, because you want to save time.

But since we are talking about rubs here. Are you not a cook if you don't grow your own spices? What about onion and garlic powder? They are very easy to make at home, but just take time. I know I've done it. Do are you not a cook if you don't make your own spices?

What about BBQ sauce or vinegar or heck all the other commercial products we all use when we cook.

So right now your scope of the journey is very narrow. I bet if you asked somebody 100 years ago what the journey was for cooking a pig it would be a much, much longer journey. So does that mean we aren't cooks, because we don't spend as long on our journey?

Your statement was pretty bold and I do take offense to it. Sorry but I do.

BTW, I know that wasn't directed at me but at everybody who uses rubs. So please take the post above from everyone who uses commercial products.

I also agree with your last statement, cooking is a journey and we all chose our own path to follow. Just because we choose a different route doen't mean we aren't hikers.
kennedyma is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-15-2011, 11:16 PM   #15
sandiegobbq
is one Smokin' Farker

100% grind my own spices and make my own rubs and make my own sauces from scratch.

Maybe one of these days I will try a commercial rub but I doubt it.
sandiegobbq is offline   Reply With Quote