• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Introducing The Most Affordable Gravity Fed Insulated Cabinet Smoker on the Market

Congrats! Not the same class as the Limo Jr, but can’t beat the value for the price.

No doubt! Coming from a Vision kamado that was the equivalent of a medium BGE, I had no need for a pit controller. As it seems like any gravity smoker can benefit from a controller/stoker on startup, the Limo Jr was going to be a real stretch once I was done with the accessories I wanted. The Limo Jr is the least expensive of the high end gravity smokers and screams quality but I can get the OCGS fully outfitted and delivered for less than the base price on the Jr. I may not be able to pass it down to my son, but hey... he is 6... let him buy his own damn rig:p

Anyone know the bolt spacing on the wheels? Want to get some upgrades on it and I could just wait until I get the smoker delivered to measure but dang it if I’m not feeling a little impatient,

No doubt! Coming from a Vision kamado that was the equivalent of a medium BGE, I had no need for a pit controller. As it seems like any gravity smoker can benefit from a controller/stoker on startup, the Limo Jr was going to be a real stretch once I was done with the accessories I wanted. The Limo Jr is the least expensive of the high end gravity smokers and screams quality but I can get the OCGS fully outfitted and delivered for less than the base price on the Jr. I may not be able to pass it down to my son, but hey... he is 6... let him buy his own damn rig:p

I feel the same way which is why I also went this route. At the price point you could almost just but a second unit when it burns out or I figured a person would have a good starting base to refab the worn out unit. I don’t plan on keeping mine in the elements so I hope that delays any issues I have for a long time.

I just got the shipping confirmation and tracking. Says that it is waiting for carrier pickup. I've learned from Amazon that this is not the same thing as actually having product ready to go but it's a good sign that they believe they can deliver these orders that we are placing.

Sooo... what size is the intake ball valve?
Wonder if I need to consider a mig welder as an accessory as well so I can make an ash pan:heh:

Heard from a couple places that it’s 1.5”. I saw a simple hack to light the coals - place a lighter cube on top of a large wood chunk or mini split. That will raise it close to the coals and also get some wood smoke moving through your pit.

Heard from a couple places that it’s 1.5”. I saw a simple hack to light the coals - place a lighter cube on top of a large wood chunk or mini split. That will raise it close to the coals and also get some wood smoke moving through your pit.

I actually think the “new” release versions come with a small rack to hold tumble weeds and/or starter cube. At least I think I saw that somewhere.

Congrats on all you guys ordering an OCGF smoker (hopefully no issues getting them). I have the Limo Jr. and love it. I am sure your OCGF will perform well.

The weber lighter cube/ or tumble weeds have worked well lighting my Limo Jr. I just light the cube and then close the door with the Guru fan already trying to blow air to raise the pit temp. The Guru fan stokes the fire burning on the tumble weed/lighter cube. I've never had this not work, and have been doing it every cook since the first where I dumped already lit charcoal from a chimney into an empty coal chute. What I use is a steel can (was a heavier condensed milk can). At some point, I open the firebox and remove the can using a set of channel locks.

I'm actually not too worried about starting it. I've had a heat gun type electrical igniter that I've used for years with the kamado. I have an AC outlet right by where my smokers/grills live. Looks like it will be simple to put the flattened extention tip between the grate and top wall of the firebox. I just think an ash pan will be much easier than sweeping out the floor. Fireboard Drive is calling my name once I can confirm the smoker is on the truck.

Im glad to see more are rolling out! They couldnt give me too much info when i called back at the beginning of COVID.

The JG youtube channel is mine, im happy to answer anything you guys want about the smoker. I got a little side tracked the last few months with work but im back to recording while i smoke things.

So far ive smoked probably 40ish racks of ribs on it, 10 brisket, 20 or so pork butt. It gets its weekly use for sure.

J G, I have been enjoying your channel a lot! Since you offered, I have a few questions. :)

1. What casters did you buy? Do you have a link? Were they easy to install?

2. You mentioned you were trying to get the temperature differential across the grates down to the single digits. Any luck? Did the water pan help?

3. How is the Billows working out for you with the GF pit?

4. Have you found any particular temp that works especially well in this smoker?

Can’t wait to see the head to head with the Assasin pit and the Masterbuilt. (Just noticed that Charbroil released a GF pit too.)

Im glad to see more are rolling out! They couldnt give me too much info when i called back at the beginning of COVID.

The JG youtube channel is mine, im happy to answer anything you guys want about the smoker. I got a little side tracked the last few months with work but im back to recording while i smoke things.

So far ive smoked probably 40ish racks of ribs on it, 10 brisket, 20 or so pork butt. It gets its weekly use for sure.

So it seems like you like it I assume? I’ve got a 1-2 things in mind I want to try with it once I get it.

J G, I have been enjoying your channel a lot! Since you offered, I have a few questions. :)

2. You mentioned you were trying to get the temperature differential across the grates down to the single digits. Any luck? Did the water pan help?

4. Have you found any particular temp that works especially well in this smoker?

Can’t wait to see the head to head with the Assasin pit and the Masterbuilt. (Just noticed that Charbroil released a GF pit too.)

Hey Pinny,

1) link here: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07VFK7Y26/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

2) Yes, in todays video for the OCGS I talked about my heat shield i made from fire brick. Here is a link to my second rack readings before and after the shield. These readings are without a water pan but id be more than happy to fire it up with 1 gallon in it and post readings. https://imgur.com/a/aesvrzZ

3) I love it. I wish the battery lasted longer (thermoworks smoke is an amazing product) but i have zero complaints. I hated swapping batteries all the time on the bbq guru.

4) Id suggest staying below 300. I saw that with the temp readings there is a greater delta left to right with higher temps. 225-250 is where i cook most of my stuff. Ill do thighs at 275 just to make sure i get more even cooking and keep them away from the right side.

The assassin is a nice box. I got to play with it last time i was at my buddies and its high quality for sure. The 560 is also exactly what you expect it to be. Cheap but capable.

So it seems like you like it I assume? I’ve got a 1-2 things in mind I want to try with it once I get it.

For what it is, yes. Its a cheap insulated gravity pit that can turn out some solid q. I do have a few complaints that i never really touched on in my videos.

1) Cleaning grease out is a real issue. I run full size hotel pans to catch the grease and act as a water pan. once grease gets down in the bottom its a PITA to clean by hand due. I move it out in my driveway away from my truck and pressure wash it.

2) The airflow characteristics of it causes air to roll over the top of whatever your cooking on the grate. this means the top dries out faster than the bottom. It seems its due to the removable plate at the bottom. Im honestly clueless how to solve this one but the use of a full size hotel pan and water seems to cause less of that convection drying issue. Spraying and flipping definitely help fight the problem. My process for brisket is to spray and flip and theyre always great. Fat cap up, point near fire. Spray every 45 mins - 1 hour. Flip when wrapping.

Hmm i just replied but its not showing. We might see a double post in a bit.

1) Yes, here are the casters. The originals are cheap and the hardware is cheap. I stripped them taking it off. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07VFK7Y26/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

2) Yes, the factory heat differential is about 40 degrees right to left. After adding my fire-brick heat shield i got it down to 15 degrees. I havnt measured with a water pan, but I believe it to be lower now. Possibly 10 or less. https://imgur.com/a/aesvrzZ

3) I love billows so much more than the bbq guru partyq. The battery issue and not trusting the probes was always a problem. I trust thermoworks with my life and the range and control on this is excellent.

4) Ive gone up to 375 for burning in, but based on what I see with the temp differential, i dont reccomend anything over 300. As the set point goes up, the left to right differential increases as well. 15 at 225 is about 20-25 at 250. It wouldnt surprise me if i measured 50+ at a 350 set.

Im excited to play with the assassin. I think my ribs are excellent from the OCGS and I believe there will be some discernable differences between them.

Just wanted to say i have a response to you that is awaiting approval. I have links to a few things and hopefully we will see it shortly.

Thanks so much for the link. It’s taking me to a product page for a shelving unit. :) I do see a set of 3” and 4” casters by the same company. Which ones did you order?

Also, I just saw your newest video. Great idea to use those firebricks as a heat shield. I already have a Signals/Billows as well, so I will be ordering the 1.5” adapter.

Just arrived! Haven’t put my hands on her yet as I’m on a work call. Maybe during lunch break. It arrived wrapped in plastic and at least one layer of cardboard which is a better start than some of the other OC pits I’ve seen delivered. Will have to inspect for damages later.

Just did a quick unwrap and inspection. Nothing looks broken or bent that I can currently see. It does have some paint scuffs and one of the red rubber handle covers tore off. I haven’t decided if I will pursue any kind of refund or such as it all seems minimal to me. Not sure if they offer free paint touch up kits or not. Initial thoughts is about what I expected for a unit over half less expensive than any other similar size models. You can tell QC is minimal and they are probably pushing as many of these they can as fast as they can out of the line. I do have a few initial questions/concerns but won’t know if there is any impact until I fire it up. It seems that on my door the top is a little farther out than the bottom. Will need to see if I have air leakage around the seal. Also with the charcoal chute door while there is the gasket it seems like there is a spot at each end that has very little material inside the gasket. I wonder if it will allow it to seal air right. Only time will tell. I will do a more in depth review, maybe even in video format once I have time. Obviously if I have air leaks it’s an issue as part of the way Gravity flows work is making an air tight seal.

One other thing I noticed in where previous models had the entire seam welded where the firebox came into cook chamber mine only had small 2-3” spot welds. This leaves about an 1/8” gap there for a good portion of that area.

It’s just Rustoleum BBQ Paint. Keep some on hand as you will have to sand or wire wheel rust and repaint spots/areas occasionally. Maybe hit with rust converter or metal conditioner before paint. I need to do mine around ash door and bottom of sides around charcoal chute.

Back