MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 06-06-2018, 08:01 AM   #1
sudsandswine
Babbling Farker

Default Cordless electric knife recommendations

I'm looking to buy a cordless electric knife - after slicing 12 briskets by hand I think I could speed up the process a bit using one, and I think they might cut through crusty bark a little better than a serrated knife. I looked on Amazon on there was a Cuisinart for ~$72 and a Waring for $179. The Cuisinart seemed to have issues with the case cracking based on the reviews, while the Waring has great reviews but is a bit pricey for home use IMO. Anyone have a cordless knife they'd recommend?

Old 06-06-2018, 10:00 AM   #2
wihint
is One Chatty Farker

Brother we did brisket for 1100 people earlier this year, we bought 4 different electric knives/filet knives to try out. Not one was worth a crap. We went to slicing by hand until my sous chef suggested we use our slicers, these worked beautifully. We used a German Knife Company brand and a Hobart Slicer.
We let them rest for about 4 hours, then pulled 2 out at a time, sliced them, repanned them in 400 hotel pans with some WARM Au Jus (about 140 F) covered with foil, left a corner open so it could "breath" and put them back in a 160 F food warmer. Turned out ok, I put the first ones in the chafing dishes to soon and they were a little dry in my opinion but everyone loved them. PM me if you have any specific questions.

Weber 22, Weber 22 OTG, Weber 16 and Kamado

Last edited by wihint; 06-06-2018 at 10:09 AM..
wihint is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 06-06-2018, 10:06 AM   #3
sudsandswine
Babbling Farker

I have a nice slicer but found that the bark and fat gummed it up and it started tearing some of the meat and making a mess. It's possible my blade needs sharpening, but often times my briskets are hard to handle without wanting to flip apart.

Was the Waring I posted above one of them you tried? I had a corded knife years ago that seemed to work pretty well but i want something i can use at a competition where i may not have access to power.

Old 06-06-2018, 10:34 AM   #4
CptKaos
Take a breath!

Google Filletzall, they make a blade that fits a reciprocating saw, just pop it in your cordless sawzall of choice. I have a small Milwaukee brand, works great.

Larry
CptKaos is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 06-06-2018, 10:45 AM   #5
m-fine
is Blowin Smoke!

I have used the meat slicer and it is quick, but not without issues. I mostly use a 14” granton edge slicer that is kept super sharp. Works much better than serrated knives.

The knives are cheap, like $30 for a Mercer, but the chefs’ choice sharpener to keep it razor sharp will dent the wallet a bit more.

Old 06-06-2018, 11:59 AM   #6
wihint
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudsandswine View Post
I have a nice slicer but found that the bark and fat gummed it up and it started tearing some of the meat and making a mess. It's possible my blade needs sharpening, but often times my briskets are hard to handle without wanting to flip apart.

Was the Waring I posted above one of them you tried? I had a corded knife years ago that seemed to work pretty well but i want something i can use at a competition where i may not have access to power.
No sir we did not test the Waring brand, we tested the Mister Twister (yellow/green) filet knife, Rapala heavy duty, Mister Twister saltwater piranha (white/blue) and the Pro EFK. All were side by side when I went to Cabelas.

We cut the slices about .25" approximately 4-5 ounces per slice. It did make a mess, brisket all over the wall, ceiling and floor.

Last edited by wihint; 06-06-2018 at 12:41 PM..

Thanks from: --->
Old 06-06-2018, 12:03 PM   #7
wihint
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by CptKaos View Post
Google Filletzall, they make a blade that fits a reciprocating saw, just pop it in your cordless sawzall of choice. I have a small Milwaukee brand, works great.

Larry
That is awesome thank you Larry. I ordered 2 of the 12" for $39 each.

Old 06-06-2018, 12:04 PM   #8
sudsandswine
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by wihint View Post
It did make a mesh, brisket all over the wall, ceiling and floor.
OK, sounds about like my experience then I wound up covering the wall with plastic wrap and rolled with it.