MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 06-03-2018, 07:51 AM   #1
WildmanWilson
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Default What’s the point of a pellet smoker

I’ve been knocking around the idea of a pellet smoker but after seeing how many people add a smoker generator or tube to get smoke flavor I’m wondering why get one? Seems an electric smoker with the same smoke tube would be the same result. So what do the pellet smokers offer ?

Last edited by WildmanWilson; 06-03-2018 at 08:11 AM..
WildmanWilson is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-03-2018, 07:58 AM   #2
el luchador
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : EL Luchador

Good question. I look forward to the answers.

Maybe someone who has both pellet and electric can come in

Old 06-03-2018, 08:02 AM   #3
smoke ninja
somebody shut me the fark up.

Pellet grills burn all wood but it's a clean burn. Much like cooking with wood embers or a super clean stick burner. These all produce a light clean tasting smoke that is a backdrop to bbq not the main component

Help us raise funds to feed our Veterans and Homeless HERE

www.gofundme.com/2s8fv5qs
smoke ninja is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 06-03-2018, 08:11 AM   #4
Ron_L

Name/Nickname : Captain Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoke ninja View Post
Pellet grills burn all wood but it's a clean burn. Much like cooking with wood embers or a super clean stick burner. These all produce a light clean tasting smoke that is a backdrop to bbq not the main component
Yep. In contrast, an electric smoker uses a heating element as a heat source and burns either chips, small chunks or pucks for smoke flavor. The wood typically smolder more than burns, so the smoke isn’t as clean, and a little goes a long way. In my Cookshack electric a gold ball sized chunk is more than enough.

SAVE THE DATE!!! Saturday, January 25, 2020 - BBQ Brethren Chicago Area Mid Winter Lunch

Naked Fatties Rock!

4x Hunsaker Cans/PK360 X 2/Southern Q Limo Elite/FEC-100/Memphis Pro SS/PBC/LBGE X 2/SBGE/Mini BGE/Good-One Model 42/WSM/Cookshack Smokette 008/Weber Performer/Saber Cast 500/Weber Kettle X 2/Weber Smokey Joe/WGA/BS Pizza Oven
Ron_L is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 06-03-2018, 08:21 AM   #5
JEStucker
On the road to being a farker

Name/Nickname : Jeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildmanWilson View Post
So what do the pellet smokers offer ?

I think the appeal is in the immortal words of Ron Popeil "Set it, and forget it."
JEStucker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-03-2018, 08:26 AM   #6
16Adams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron_L View Post
Yep. In contrast, an electric smoker uses a heating element as a heat source and burns either chips, small chunks or pucks for smoke flavor. The wood typically smolder more than burns, so the smoke isn’t as clean, and a little goes a long way. In my Cookshack electric a gold ball sized chunk is more than enough.
Where do I obtain these gold balls of which you speak?
16Adams is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-03-2018, 08:40 AM   #7
16Adams

I’ve always been interested, several of my friends are pellitized. Some have two, one has three. I’m interested but I want a smaller high quality cheap cooker on closeout. Then, I’ll buy one and either fall in love, get it out of my system or be satisfied. I will someday, just because I need to know for myself. My friends are all quite happy with theirs
16Adams is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 06-03-2018, 08:42 AM   #8
Ylouder
Knows what a fatty is.

I was a long term holdout on getting a pellet grill, but imagine having a perfectly burning 100 percent wood fire. No smoldering, no worrying if the wood is too green, 225 plus or minus the entire time.

I really think people playing up concerns about not enough smoke taste are overblown. Typically when you are cooking your sense of smell is overwhelmed so that day you don’t taste as much. I’ve never got a smoking tube and have no problem tasting the smoke and I notice it’s remarkablely more Smokey the next day for leftovers.
Ylouder is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-03-2018, 09:06 AM   #9
AWilliams
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : SoCal

I have an original Traeger my dad gave me but I really only use it for doing my Yellowtail and Tuna I catch here. Since it's the original model with the old style controller, it's failed on me numerous times so I can't trust it for much else. Just the right amount of smoke for fish. YMMV
AWilliams is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-03-2018, 09:15 AM   #10
jasonjax
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Jason

1) Set it and forget it (PID controllers etc)
2) Consistency (no wondering how your splits or lump is going to burn)
3) Convenience (add some pellets to the hopper and flip a switch)
4) Subtle yet very present smoke flavor (real wood is burning)
5) Easy clean-up (no charcoal or wood ash to speak of. Use a shop vac now and again to vac out the firebox)
6) Versatility (buy the right pellet cooker and cook at 600+ degrees direct heat or smoke at 225* for hours)

That's off the top of my head. I could probably create a much more in-depth response, but having used multiple fuel sources and styles of cookers I am a proud pellethead.
jasonjax is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-03-2018, 09:16 AM   #11
m-fine
is Blowin Smoke!

If you are used to the flavor of fat burning on charcoal, pellet grills have very weak smoke flavor, but it is a cleaner flavor that lets you taste the difference between different woods. Adding a tube or tray lets you increase the intensity while still avoiding the burnt fat flavors but isn’t mandatory by any means.

The biggest draw is of course the set it and forget it part. You can’t always be feeding a stick burner unless you have employees.

Old 06-03-2018, 09:18 AM   #12
LYU370
Babbling Farker

Used to have a Cookshack electric. It made great que. Like Ron said, one or two small chunks of wood was all you needed. But the smoke never really penetrated deep into the meat. To me it seemed it was on the surface only. Switched to a Cookshack FEC100 pellet smoker, still easy to use, but it seems like the que it produces is so much better. I usually use a smoke tube only for cold smoking, if I want extra smoke, I'll run it at a lower temp for the first few hours. Normally for long cooking meats only.

I've used all sorts of cookers over the years, but now that I'm a lazy old fart that likes his sleep. I use a pellet cooker for long/overnite cooks.

FEC100 - Big Joe - Saber 500 Gasser

Are you ready for a THROWDOWN?!?!? Join us and enter to win great prizes! It's a BLAST!
LYU370 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-03-2018, 09:24 AM   #13
Smoke Dawg
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : IMF

We use our GMG pellet cooker a lot from smoking oysters at 150° to pizza at 500°

I prefer steaks over coals but the pooper does a great job on butts, ribs, and briskets.

It is nice to put a brisket on just before going to bed and getting a full nights sleep.
IMBAS Certified Moink Baller
Smoke Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-03-2018, 09:34 AM   #14
Nuco59
is Blowin Smoke!

End of season close out might tip me over the edge to get one. I'm sorta like 16Adams, I want to see what all the fuss is about. Love it or hate it- either is fine- just don't want to spend a small fortune to find out.

The "set it and forget it" facet is not super important to me- I have drums- I basically have that ability now. Just in it for the search of something different.

Old 06-03-2018, 09:41 AM   #15
el luchador
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : EL Luchador

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildmanWilson View Post
I’ve been knocking around the idea of a pellet smoker but after seeing how many people add a smoker generator or tube to get smoke flavor I’m wondering why get one? Seems an electric smoker with the same smoke tube would be the same result. So what do the pellet smokers offer ?

Do you already have an electric smoker?

Ive never used one but apparently they can hold their own

https://youtu.be/yQ38bBi-9o0