SoCal Farkers - Annual Christmas/Holiday Charity Cook Sat. Dec. 8

We're really looking forward to this. Let me know if you need help at the house earlier, since we're close by.

Thanks for the bumps y'all! I'll be doing a large part of the figuring and planning this weekend and will be updating.

I can't stress enough how much I enjoy doing this event. Something about cooking lots of food is very appealing, and seeing a room full of people enjoying food and each other is always good, and getting to hang out with Brethren and Sistren just puts it over the top. We really have a great time at these events.

I'm looking forward to seeing y'all farkers!

Unfortunately, Jennifer and I will out of town on that day. The only upside is someone else will have to make the ......I am having trouble typing this....vegan mac and cheese.

• Thanks
Reactions: gtr
^^^I think I'm gonna tell 'em our expert vegan mac n cheese cook will not be here, so they'll have to find an alternative, as none of us have mastered the vegan mac n cheese like Brother SmokinJohn. :twisted:

Well dang dude! Gonna miss y'all for sure! You're always such a great part of the deal. Are you going to HI to get more Spam?

Also gotta mention that SmokinJohn is one of the turkeyslicingest farkers you'll ever see! Whoever's doing it this year has some very large shoes to fill - oh fark - and Bigmista's shoes too! :shocked:...gentlemen & gentlewomen - get them knives sharp!

How much volume of Vegan Mac and Cheese is needed? I'd be glad to bake up a tray or two, just need to know what cubic footage would be good.

• Thanks
^^^I'll find out this weekend & let you know - many thanks!

^^^Thanks for the bump, Big George! :clap2:

How much volume of Vegan Mac and Cheese is needed? I'd be glad to bake up a tray or two, just need to know what cubic footage would be good.

They'd love to have a couple trays of that mac n cheese - thanks for offering that up, George! Since you'll be cooking that maybe you guys meet us at the site? Hopefully some of the other farkers can meet up at my house for that part of the prep.

Been busy with a bunch of stuff the past few days and haven't had time to sit down to finalize the plan yet, but should be able to in the next few days. I'm thinking I'll try and have the slaw done Friday 12/7, the night before the event, and get up early Saturday to do the beans and greens and smoke the turkey. I'll be cooking the pork ahead of time and reheating in bags the day of. On site it'll basically be all about reheating pork, slicing turkey, and keeping the line stocked with the other stuff we've cooked & prepped at the house.

Just looked at the calendar - it's coming up quick! :shocked:

It sure is. I’m recipe testing for the next week and a half.

• Thanks
Got to bump it again. Wish we could be there! Way to roll Greg and all!

• Thanks
Less than two weeks away! Gonna be a great time!

• Thanks
Missed a bunch of posts in this thread. I'm free that day and in to helping/hanging again. What time do you need help at the house, Greg? I can be there anytime you need. Your place feels like my second home! Looking forward to it. Breakfast at your place? Do you need anything? I'll try to bring a dessert type thing to share with everyone at the B&G Club.

• Thanks
^^^Will def. need a couple/few hands at the house. Still finalizing the game plan, but basically the pork gets cooked and vac sealed next weekend, slaw is Friday night 12/7 before the event, and beans/greens/turkey get cooked the morning of Sat. 12/8. I think it'll be a good idea to get a bunch of the pork reheated before we head to the event so we'll be ready rather than having to wait on a huge pot of water to get hot.

Anyway - we should shoot for leaving the house at 9:45, which should put us there at 10:15, giving us an hour to get set up for service which begins at 11:15 or 11:30 (i.e. when we're ready! :twisted:). Today I'm gonna backtime from that to work out the cooking schedule, but I figure if I can get some hands here at the house at 6 or 7am that'd be a good thing and yeah we'll def. whip up some breakfast. Maybe also snag some of those Danish pastry thingees from Copenhagen Bakery to take to the site as well - won't really be time for cooking breakfast there, but there's always time to shovel kringle & stuff.

I was able to get an RD membership card for Peace4Kids that I can use (great suggestion from Bigmista) and sourced some nice turkey breasts (again, great suggestion from Neil). I did a trial run last night and it went well. Gonna hit 'em with Cavender's Greek seasoning (suggestion from dadsR4), smoke 'till a good color, and wrap with a chitload of butter (from Franklin's book) till done.

And again I'm struck by how, because of this site and the work done by Phil and the mods to maintain it, there'll be a bunch of kids in Watts eating a (hopefully!) delicious meal prepared and served by people who have become friends, who most likely wouldn't have met otherwise. A huge majority of the knowledge used to cook this food came from here as well. That's a cool thing, methinks.

Anyway, planning is getting to final stages and looking forward to executing in a couple weeks! I'll keep you farkers posted and I can't wait to see my Brethren Brothers and Sistren!

I can be as early as you need me. What are we boiling water on at the site? Camp stove? I can bring another burner (turkey fryer burner) if needed.

• Thanks
And again I'm struck by how, because of this site and the work done by Phil and the mods to maintain it, there'll be a bunch of kids in Watts eating a (hopefully!) delicious meal prepared and served by people who have become friends, who most likely wouldn't have met otherwise. A huge majority of the knowledge used to cook this food came from here as well. That's a cool thing, methinks.

VERY COOL THING!

^^^I have a 2 burner camp chef - the one that's in my bbq area - I have legs for it so it won't need to sit on a table (bad for table - don't ask me how I know this, but I can show you the table. :doh:)

^^^Thanks George! :clap2:

Gonna be cooking and bagging the pork this Saturday - happiness is a full Klose! :whoo:

Also got one of those turkey roaster thingees I saw in a thread about active holding briskets. Seems it might come in handy on the day of the event - ya never know when you need a little extra cooking power.

Back