MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 11-15-2018, 04:19 PM   #721
smoke ninja
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadsr4 View Post
Toms are castrated, so taste like a hen.

Basically, if you want a smaller bird, you're stuck with a hen. Larger birds are castrated toms.
I would prefer to cook 2 small birds over a larger one

Thanks from:--->

Old 11-15-2018, 04:55 PM   #722
Norm
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Private

They do not "castrate" male turkeys or chickens normally for the retail market. The testes in the birds are internal and a surgical procedure would be cost prohibitive. Since they're processed at such an early age it isn't necessary. My choice would be a hen but they will be in general lighter in weight. Even in cattle which the males are I'd still prefer a heifer for meat quality.
Norm is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-15-2018, 05:40 PM   #723
dadsr4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm View Post
They do not "castrate" male turkeys or chickens normally for the retail market. The testes in the birds are internal and a surgical procedure would be cost prohibitive. Since they're processed at such an early age it isn't necessary. My choice would be a hen but they will be in general lighter in weight. Even in cattle which the males are I'd still prefer a heifer for meat quality.
Interesting. That is what I've been told by many different people. I should have known better, since I knew the testes are internal in birds.

Old 11-16-2018, 12:21 PM   #724
SoCalWJS
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : John

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm View Post
Thanks. I thought that, generally speaking, the Hens are preferred as long as it's big enough.

Old 11-16-2018, 02:01 PM   #725
Crotonmark
is one Smokin' Farker

ok - let me move my questions to here:

1 - Smoking on the weber summit - use the low position and the diffuser or use the indirect method?
2 - Weber recipes have the bird sit in liquid - I've done this before and wonder why they dont use a rack - as you would in the over?

Old 11-16-2018, 03:00 PM   #726
PUNKem733
On the road to being a farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirPorkaLot View Post
IMHO this is a mistake.

For the brine period (2-3 hours per pound for dry brine), you want to keep all the moisture that the salt pulls out of the bird, close to the skin so it gets pulled back in.

Try wrapping tightly in plastic wrap for brine period and then air dry for a few hours (this is plenty of time to dry skin) before smoking

You will find you get a significantly juicer (20% based on our tests) product keeping it wrapped tight during the brine.

It's less work not wrapping it, and like I said no one makes a juicer turkey. Juices gush out the breast. I've done it both ways. I couldn't tell a difference.
PUNKem733 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-16-2018, 06:12 PM   #727
Blythewood BBQ'er
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Dennis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crotonmark View Post

1 - Smoking on the weber summit - use the low position and the diffuser or use the indirect method?
2 - Weber recipes have the bird sit in liquid - I've done this before and wonder why they dont use a rack - as you would in the over?
I've never used a summit just my drum. My drum has three racks, 2 cooking and one for the pizza pan diffuser. I always cook mine one the top grate not in a pan. Just"neked" on the rack. They have been super moist and tender. I know this isn't the same cooker as yours, but maybe it will help.
BUBBA GRILLS 250r, CharGriller Akorn, 1.5 uds, 28in Blackstone, Blackstone Tailgater, Weber Mastertouch Slate Blue, Weber Copper Performer Premium, Weber 26er, Weber Jumbo Joe, and a set of Octoforks!

GOOD FOOD GOOD TIMES AND GOOD FRIENDS CAN BE FOUND HERE!! THE BBQ BRETHREN BASHES!
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=8
Blythewood BBQ'er is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-16-2018, 06:17 PM   #728
Blythewood BBQ'er
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Dennis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crotonmark View Post

I did this one on the Akorn with the pizza pan diffuser. Turned out great. Straight on the rack no pan.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20141228_161950.jpg (57.8 KB, 298 views)
BUBBA GRILLS 250r, CharGriller Akorn, 1.5 uds, 28in Blackstone, Blackstone Tailgater, Weber Mastertouch Slate Blue, Weber Copper Performer Premium, Weber 26er, Weber Jumbo Joe, and a set of Octoforks!

GOOD FOOD GOOD TIMES AND GOOD FRIENDS CAN BE FOUND HERE!! THE BBQ BRETHREN BASHES!
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=8
Blythewood BBQ'er is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-18-2018, 08:49 PM   #729
SoCalWJS
is one Smokin' Farker

Has anybody found a roasting pan that they really like that fits a Large BGE?

I've got one that I've used many times over the years, but it is a non-stick, and I think I'm missing out on the Fond....

I want one that I can get some extra bits of flavor out of.

Old 11-19-2018, 09:13 AM   #730
EdF
is One Chatty Farker

Any of these in the 14" size will fit perfectly. We bought the stainless one years ago. Very easy to clean. Liked it so much we bought a second one. https://www.paellapans.com/Pans-s/3.htm
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20170429_180933.jpg (55.9 KB, 235 views)

And their helpers.
EdF is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-19-2018, 06:06 PM   #731
Tannhauser42
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : X

Just finished doing the dry brine on my turkey, which I will never do again. I think maybe 2/3 of the brine remained on the turkey when I started to wrap it in plastic wrap. Hopefully the 3 days in the fridge will still do the job. Plastic wrap and I have never gotten along, and I made a mess of that, too. Next time will just be the old standard wet brine, even if this does end up being my best turkey ever.
Tannhauser42 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-19-2018, 09:28 PM   #732
SirPorkaLot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tannhauser42 View Post
Just finished doing the dry brine on my turkey, which I will never do again. I think maybe 2/3 of the brine remained on the turkey when I started to wrap it in plastic wrap. Hopefully the 3 days in the fridge will still do the job. Plastic wrap and I have never gotten along, and I made a mess of that, too. Next time will just be the old standard wet brine, even if this does end up being my best turkey ever.

It helps to have the turkey a little moist when you apply the dry brine (so it sticks)
I always rinse my turkey before anyways, so this works well for me

Old 11-19-2018, 10:09 PM   #733
LYU370

Just spatchcocked my first turkey. No kitchen shears.. What a P.I.T.A. Coat of Harvest Brine and into the fridge.

FEC100 - Big Joe - Weber Spirit II Gasser

Are you ready for a THROWDOWN?!?!? Join us, It's a BLAST!!

Join us for the Inaugural 2024 South East Bash - May 2024 Tennessee - Sign Up Link
LYU370 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-20-2018, 07:09 AM   #734
dadsr4

Quote:
Originally Posted by LYU370 View Post
Just spatchcocked my first turkey. No kitchen shears.. What a P.I.T.A. Coat of Harvest Brine and into the fridge.
Pruning shears, well scrubbed, work great.

Old 11-20-2018, 08:11 AM   #735
siena
Wandering around with a bag of matchlight, looking for a match.

Name/Nickname : Linda

Here is one more great idea how to make turkey juicy with marinade of wheat beer, soy sauce, orange juice. It's really tasty, I recommend to everyone to try it.
siena is offline   Reply With Quote