MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 11-15-2018, 08:49 PM   #16
localyocal
On the road to being a farker

Name/Nickname : Brad

I do legs. I was hesitant to switch but once I did I've done well with them. I actually like the bite better. JMO

Thanks from:--->

Old 11-15-2018, 10:52 PM   #17
B'Mackin
Knows what a fatty is.

Thighs were always my weakness. Switched to legs on the drum this year and have since seen my scores do way better. Took a few cooks to get that technique right, but now they've been doing consistently pretty well out here on the West Coast and I'm going to keep it running in '19. As long as you turn in good que, that's the most important thing.

Old 11-22-2018, 06:26 AM   #18
Mohitb793
Wandering around with a bag of matchlight, looking for a match.

Name/Nickname : mohitb

Quote:
Originally Posted by B'Mackin View Post
Thighs were always my weakness. Switched to legs on the drum this year and have since seen my scores do way better. Took a few cooks to get that technique right, but now they've been doing consistently pretty well out here on the West Coast and I'm going to keep it running in '19. As long as you turn in good que, that's the most important thing.
Yeah i agree with it. I too did legs a couple of times and then fell in love with it.
Mohitb793 is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 11-22-2018, 10:18 AM   #19
Rusty Kettle
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Hey you with the face!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pig_Farmer View Post
Are you doing lollipop style?
Yes we are. I have tried switching to thighs and its hit or miss for us.
I went back to lollipops at the Ironman. They are a pain in the arse but the scores don't lie. For us our thighs suck and our lollipops score much higher for us. This is not the norm for most teams.
It use to take 20 minutes for trimming each leg but I have it down to about 10 minutes or less now per leg.
Rusty Kettle is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 11-25-2018, 06:39 AM   #20
bbqred
Got rid of the matchlight.

Name/Nickname : Red Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron_L View Post
It seems to be regional. Folks in the southeast have more consistent results with legs, but in the midwest our results with them have been less consistent.
I never knew this until I saw this thread, then lo and behold, watching a documentary on Amazon Prime about the American Royal, it looked like everyone was smoking thighs. Went from there to the first few episodes of Bama-Q and it was mostly legs. Learned something new and will definitely try legs for kicks (no pun intended).
bbqred is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-26-2018, 08:37 AM   #21
INmitch
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by GA1dad View Post
Now that's a turn in box I would like to see a picture of!! Sounds awesome!!
I tried it a few years ago. Did it for three comps and was mid pac on all three. I tried it in Lake Placid NY, New Pal IN and a third comp that I can't remember where but I think it was 2013. I don't know how to post pics but I may send a pic of the box to Ron L and he could post it. It's an awsome looking box!