I miss Texas!

I popped into Kreuz last Sunday after the Texas Bash. Was quite disappointed, sausage was kind of mealy and very greasy, brisket was dry, but the beef clod was off the hook.

Only place I had decent sausage from a que joint was at Cooper's in downtown Austin. Louie Mueller's sausage was probably the worst of the bunch, rubbery skin and dry, dry, dry...

The sausage that sleebus.jones brought to the bash was great. But being a Polak, it still didn't have enough garlic. :loco:

Andy, Bellville (Poffenberger's) sausage never disappoints.

I have found your observations to be a common fault with just about every sausage I've had on the Central Texas BBQ trail. Basically like a loose pile of ground beef in a tough casing. I never did find one from one of the BBQ joints that I liked. They were all terrible. All were cooked to the point to where all the fat was drained out of them and then the bind completely broke down.

Dozier's (right down the street from me ~4 miles) has good sausage, and I think they ship. Haven't had that "meatbag" experience with them. Bellville meat market (the one I brought) is also excellent. Honestly, all of the "famous" bbq spots I went to left me unimpressed.

LYU370, I too have a love of garlic. If you're into making your own sausage, I've got a great recipe I can share.

Yep, was rather disappointed with the sausages, I made sure to try the brisket & sausage at each place I stopped. Mixed results all around. I'd love to see your garlic sausage recipe. So far this is one of my favorites, although I add more garlic. Although, every one of Len's recipes I've tried has been good.

http://lpoli.50webs.com/index_files/Garlic-Fresh.pdf

Len Poli's Sausage Recipes

Just tried the Apple Wurst sausages from the New Braunfels variety pack. Very different but nice! Has apple sauce, nutmeg, and other spices. Definitely not traditional, but very pleasing! Definitely will be getting more for the holidays. Talked with the wife and think we didn't cook it enough the first time to help bring out the flavor. She sliced it and cooked it with the taters. When the cheddar started to melt she pulled it since she didn't want to lose the cheese.

These tonight were grilled indirectly for 25 minutes. That did wonders for the texture and opened up the flavor. Can't wait to try the other 3 flavors. Will give some feed back on them when I try them.

Tried the Tex Mex sausages tonight. Man that's what I was looking for! They were great. I will definitely grab a Rocky's Sampler for the family get together this Christmas Eve. Thanks again for the suggestions, I will definitely work my way through them. I can recommend the Rocky's Sampler from New Braunfels Smoke house. Now the apple wurst may not be for everyone, but to me it is a great departure from traditional sausages. I think it might be a better breakfast sausage than a had a bad day and a few beers sausage, but still a good eat!

For those who want to make their own breakfast sausage. You can do this easily with ground pork from the store. Weigh your ground pork in grams, and then multiply those grams by the percentages below to get grams of spices needed. Add spices and mix until the mixture gets sticky. No casings or stuffers needed, just make into patties, fatties or freeze in bulk and crumble later when frying.

This is not a hot sausage at all. The "knob" is the cayenne pepper percentage of course. To give some perspective, I use 0.6% cayenne in Andouille sausage.

Code:
salt		1.50%
pepper		0.20%
sage (rubbed)	0.20%
Nutmeg		0.05%
Ginger		0.05%
Thyme (dried)	0.023%
Cayenne pepper	0.05%
water		10.00%

This has no cure in it (like all breakfast sausage) so it should be eaten on the day, or frozen the same day.

All this talk about Texas sausage, I thought I'd try some Kiolbassa smoked sausage, since it was on sale and in stock for once.
Cooked on the kettle for lunch for the wife and I. Nice snap to it, flavor was good. Higher cost compared to of local beef smoked sausages. If it shows up when my wife shops, I will know she prefers it.

Back