MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 01-13-2017, 02:13 PM   #16
Bob C Cue
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmittyJonz View Post
You have to expect a copycat competitor at some point - but it shouldn't be someone that you had a deal made with
I bet you know what that's like. Didn't someone recently rip off your screen name?
Thermapen Classic
Thermoworks Smoke

[I]Ephesians 2:8-9
For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast[/I].
Bob C Cue is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-13-2017, 02:39 PM   #17
swamprb
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoke ninja View Post
You can check the pbc appreciate thread...or amazon reviews...its been alleged that the makers of the barrel house cooker had a no compete with pbc and decided to wipe their arse with with the agreement. Again this is only what ive heard.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AClarke44 View Post
What Ninja is saying is correct. PBC contracted with MD manufacturing (the company that now makes the barrel house cooker) to manufacture the barrels for the PBC. All design and research info was given to MD to help with the process. At the last minute MD backed out of the contract. A few years later when the PBC had become highly successful, the GM of MD Manufacturing (I believe that was his title....I don't want to put his name on here per Phil's request) started making the Barrel House Cooker....an obvious knock off of the PBC. If you search you can find the actual allegations that were filed in the lawsuit.

MD manufacturing makes a lot of home central vacuum systems. If you look them up you will see that the cooker looks very similar to their vacuum systems.

http://builtinvacuum.com/

To me it's not a matter of whether or not the cooker works well. It's the sleezy way it came to market that would turn me away. But that's just my opinion. Obviously it's up to those interested to determine if they wanna support a product like that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob C Cue View Post
I agree. Noah and his wife are very good people that go out of their way to employee and help veterans and to give back in many ways to the community.
OK

I think I'm beginning to get it. So all the negative vibes are due to whatever shady dealings have transpired between these two companies. I got no dog in that fight.

So, I don't suppose I'll be getting any public feedback here on the pros or cons of said shady 14" hanging meat drum smoker?? Other than its a ripoff of PBC, or any other drum that has some kind of right to claim its the one and only.

I'll be upfront about this - I ain't buying one, I'm gonna clone one! I mean there is nothing groundbreaking about a direct fired 15 gallon drum on a charcoal basket.

I just wanna know if a 14" Weber Smokey Joe lid will fit on a BHC?

Has anyone that built a Mini Smoker Joe "aka the Tamale Pot mod" using any of the BHC grates or hanging racks?

OR

Using the BHC hanging meat rack in a 14" WSM?

This is the kinda chit I want to know and haven't been able to find!

https://www.barrelhousecooker.com/pr...cessories/all/

I've been around here long enough to see virtually every type of drum imaginable and kind of have the clones covered. When someone mentioned BHC makes central vacuums, I always think the ones I see at the local scrappers would make a good smoker!!

This is what I'm playing with at the moment

I don't mean to get anyone in a huff (which apparently I unknowingly did with someone I kind of respected that is a PBC owner) so if anyone has any answers to my inquiries I'd really appreciate it! Feel free to PM me or post it here.

Thanks in advance!

Brian
KCBS CBJ/PNWBA CBJ www.pnwba.com

Last edited by swamprb; 01-13-2017 at 03:00 PM..
swamprb is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-13-2017, 03:30 PM   #18
AClarke44
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Andrew

Yeah you are probably right about the negative stuff. Not sure what PBC owner got upset with you or why......As a PBC owner I wasn't offended by anything you said.

If you build a BHC replica that'd be cool I think. I actually like scrolling through build threads. There are some talented builders here! I'd also be interested in hearing how it cooked if you built one.
You can get some of the accessories you are looking for at the PBC site too. Could probably make your hanging grate out of a Weber 14" and cut all but 2 or 3 of the cross bars out....

Can't help you with you other questions but good luck!
22.5 Crimson Weber Premium
Char-Broil Big Easy Oil-Less Turker Fryer
LoCo 80qt crawfish kit

Re-homed cookers:
Black Weber OTG (Happy Hapgood)
Pit Barrel Cooker (PBC)
Char-griller Akorn
28” Blackstone Pro Series
Oklahoma Joe’s Bronco

Check out the PBC Appreciation Thread!
[url]http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=210239[/url]
AClarke44 is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Thanks from:--->
Old 01-13-2017, 03:43 PM   #19
Pitmaster T
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoke ninja View Post
I don't think that cooker is gonna get much play around here.

This is too small a community to get away with the bhc's funny business

Can I say "he who remains nameless" then go off on MD Manufacturing and Barrel House Cooker?

I am preparing a HUGE thread about it (written professionally with attached documents) anyway. As well as some videos. So I am trying to weigh the gentlemanly way AClarke handles this and the ruthless, people better get out of the way of the flack, Pitmaster T way.
Facebook
Pitmaster T is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-14-2017, 09:20 AM   #20
swamprb
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitmaster T View Post
Can I say "he who remains nameless" then go off on MD Manufacturing and Barrel House Cooker?

I am preparing a HUGE thread about it (written professionally with attached documents) anyway. As well as some videos. So I am trying to weigh the gentlemanly way AClarke handles this and the ruthless, people better get out of the way of the flack, Pitmaster T way.
Thats not going to help me.
KCBS CBJ/PNWBA CBJ www.pnwba.com
swamprb is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-14-2017, 01:47 PM   #21
Pitmaster T
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamprb View Post
Thats not going to help me.
The "enemies list" is getting as large as the vat of liquid nitrogen is getting for those who fancy the BHC.

And with that let me end with...

The Barrel House cooker is crap... the idea was stolen with the INTENT of stealing (which makes it worse than just copying), and made thin assed materials.

Oh. and someone takes a dump in every fifth one they make. lol And... wait.. their turds are laced with galvanized powders.

Oh.. and its owners love Obama if that helps.
Facebook
Pitmaster T is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 01-14-2017, 02:11 PM   #22
sbramm
is one Smokin' Farker

i bought my 81 yr old pop a PBC for his birthday a while back. dad lives in denver and noah would take his calls personally to answer questions when i wasn't available. even followed up with my dad to make sure everything was going well. that speaks volumes.

buy a PBC.

Thanks from: --->
Old 02-09-2018, 08:10 AM   #23
zsir
Found some matches.

Took a couple pics at Walmart

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk
zsir is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-09-2018, 12:02 PM   #24
BigKing
Full Fledged Farker

These guys can go eat a dick. Let them hang it in their stolen cooker first, if they wish.

Old 02-09-2018, 02:00 PM   #25
zsir
Found some matches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigKing View Post
These guys can go eat a dick. Let them hang it in their stolen cooker first, if they wish.
Yeah I guess... But that's like saying no one can build a kamado except green egg..

Nice feature how the barrel lifts off... Never seen a PBC locally

zsir is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-09-2018, 02:18 PM   #26
Blue Kettle
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : TK

Quote:
Originally Posted by zsir View Post
Took a couple pics at Walmart

Overall how would you rate the build quality? TBH, I was THIS close to buying one of these 2 weeks ago. I had the box down off the shelf and loaded into the cart and everything, but at my Wal-Mart they had the floor model up on a high shelf so I couldn't really look it over like you did here. That bugged me. Also it bugged me that I haven't seen a review of this new model yet (all the reviews are of the 14" model). Didn't want to be a guinea pig so at the last second I reconsidered and thought I'd wait too see if any decent reviews came out.
Blue Kettle is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-09-2018, 02:22 PM   #27
Blue Kettle
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Yeah I guess... But that's like saying no one can build a kamado except green egg..

The feature of lifting it off the base really appeals to me. Its sort of a cross pollination of a UDS and a Weber Smokey Mountain.

Old 02-09-2018, 02:40 PM   #28
D&D BBQ
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:

No, it’s more like saying you can’t build a kamodo after entering into an exclusive and binding agreement with BGE wherein you learn their manufacturing specifications, supply chains and costs, distribution, etc. and then turn around and brag about how with this information you’re going to fund your retirement! SMH.

Sorry, but I for one refuse to buy anything or support this POS in any way, shape, or form... OTOH, I love the irony of the direction of this thread of DITY guys copying the POS’s designs. Karma!

Old 02-09-2018, 02:45 PM   #29
Bob C Cue
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Noah told me awhile ago that he hopes they sell a lot of the Barrel House Cookers since he will get a percent of revenue if PBC wins the lawsuit.
Thermapen Classic
Thermoworks Smoke

[I]Ephesians 2:8-9
For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast[/I].
Bob C Cue is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 02-09-2018, 03:50 PM   #30
Blue Kettle
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob C Cue View Post
Noah told me awhile ago that he hopes they sell a lot of the Barrel House Cookers since he will get a percent of revenue if PBC wins the lawsuit.
That's great. I'm glad he's got a positive view that the legal system can provide him a remedy here. The fact that BHC has come out with this new model with the litigation still pending tells me this thing is likely going to be settled to the mutual satisfaction of the parties in the very near future. And we as consumers can just evaluate the products for what they are without sweating about the companies' business practices, ethics, etc.