THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

flseminarian

Name or Nickame
Tom
Greetings. New to the BB forum.

I use a New Braunfels Black Diamond (that needs a rusted-out belly repaired, but that's for another thread) and primarily charcoal. I have some Blackjack oak that I have moved twice since I left Texas in 2010, some apricot, apple that I pruned from trees in my back yard, and lilac.

When I have hot-smoked I generally take some of that smoking wood and double-wrap it in aluminum foil and put it on the coals. It gets a godo smolder for a while, but the foil burns through (melts or evaporates, I don't know) and then it just burns.

I am thinking about fabricating a smoke tube out of pipe and a screw-on cap on one end. I thought if I used about 1 1/2 inch pipe and drilled small holes in side to allow some airflow, then I ought to be able to put 6" pieces of wood in and achieve the smolder I need.

Two questions:

Does what I am thinking about make sense?

Is there any reason not to use black iron pipe for that? Although a lot more expensive, do I need to use stainless?

Back