Brisket Challenge: Brisket, charcoal grill, 2 hours-what to do

fireman_pete

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Hi All,

We have been asked to be part of an informal BBQ Contest in October. One of the items that want us to cook is Beef Brisket. Ok, no problem.

However, we only have 2 hours to cook (+ 1 hour to prep) and only have a charcoal grill to use.

what would you do?

We were thinking cut the brisket into steaks, and try cubbing the point for quick burnt ends and Brisket Steak?

Looking for all the crazy ideas and suggestions.

Thanks

Pete

I know, I know. I am still hoping they made a mistake and give us a Tri-Tip. That is what we did last year.

However, I forgot to mention that this informal contest is in Vegas, and has $25K in prize money :)

We will also be cooking chicken, sausage and pork tenderloin!

I have never known of a brisket that can be done in 2 hrs, looking forward to hearing the ideas.

I agree with Bigmista and cgwaite. Why play along with rules set-up for failure?

I know, I know. I am still hoping they made a mistake and give us a Tri-Tip. That is what we did last year.

However, I forgot to mention that this informal contest is in Vegas, and has $25K in prize money :)

We will also be cooking chicken, sausage and pork tenderloin!

well since you put it that way... what about injections and super hot and fast? i have never done one this way, but many on here have talked about experimenting and have had success. (although i dont remember them coming off that quickly)

I have some ideas and was going to play this weekend, but wanted some input and ideas from the Brethren!

well since you put it that way... what about injections and super hot and fast? i have never done one this way, but many on here have talked about experimenting and have had success. (although i dont remember them coming off that quickly)

If you chopped up the flat and point into let's say, 1.5-2" cubes, you guys think you could get at least some kind of burnt end in the full two hours maybe either indirect or on a REALLY hot smoker? I'm curious as to whether a 2x2" inch brisket cube could be done that fast. Otherwise, I have no idea how to do a whole packer or even a flat in only 2 hours.
Bob

Maybe they are using it as a quik fire pilot for next years Pitmasters.

OK teams you have 2 hrs to cook a brisket.
If you fail to cook a wonderful tender brisket you have to pack your pit and go home.
Good smoking luck :becky:

Maybe they are using it as a quik fire pilot for next years Pitmasters.

OK teams you have 2 hrs to cook a brisket.
If you fail to cook a wonderful tender brisket you have to pack your pit and go home.
Good smoking luck :becky:

That's funny right there....:clap2:

seriousely, do they know what a brisket is ? maybe wrap in foil and cook at 500 deg ? will come out mushy, just the way they like it.

Yep, they are supplying everything! It is for fun, but serious $$$. I think the only way to make it work is to cut it up in some form.

Are they supplying everything? Meat, charcoal, grill, etc?

What I'm getting at here is, are you cooking with your own equipment and charcoal? Makes a big difference... but in 2 hours, maybe not.

I think the only chance you might have is boiling... :banplease::bounce:

We are cooking on the open charcoal grills provided by them. Basically a 2x4 adjustable height charcoal grill.

I really, really hope they give us Tri-Tip!

What I'm getting at here is, are you cooking with your own equipment and charcoal? Makes a big difference... but in 2 hours, maybe not.

I think the only chance you might have is boiling... :banplease::bounce:

Back