MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 09-23-2021, 03:24 PM   #1
Hugot
Found some matches.

Name/Nickname : hugo
Default Workhorse vs Mill Scale vs Franklin

Hi folks, quick question. I am looking for a new offset smoker (not reverse) and i've read a lot about these smokers. Looking @ all the specs of all 3, I'm wondering why would someone pay more / wait 2 years to get a Franklin or mill scale ? Seems like the workhorse is cheaper, thicker, 2 grates, etc. Not dissing just asking why. Thx
Hugot is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-23-2021, 05:09 PM   #2
Back9Q
is one Smokin' Farker

Not sure why but cant go wrong with the 1975. If I were buying an offset and there was zero wait time I would likely go workhorse or outlaw

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Back9Q is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-23-2021, 07:19 PM   #3
Pappy Q
is One Chatty Farker

Jambo backyard….
Pappy Q is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 09-23-2021, 08:36 PM   #4
cdhbrad
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : CurtisH

If I had not bought a Shirley 24x36, a 1975 would be sitting on my back Patio in its place. Would still like one, but my wife said one big Cooker out there at a time.
cdhbrad is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-23-2021, 08:59 PM   #5
Burn
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Jimmy

Prob be better off finding a local builder.
Burn is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-24-2021, 01:04 AM   #6
sandro
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : sandro

There's a design difference in the heat deflector and airflow, all three are amazing smokers. If you don't care about the hip factor, go Workhorse and don't look back. 1969 would be my choice
🔥 [URL=https://www.instagram.com/p/CSghjJ5NAPb][b]Cactus-Jack 16x36[/b][/URL] [URL=https://www.instagram.com/p/CTFkJlVNI7s]Tel-Tru gauge[/URL] & [URL=https://www.instagram.com/p/CU9vBNyoP2J]Franklin baffle[/URL]
🔥 [b]Pit Barrel Cooker[/b] [URL=https://www.instagram.com/p/CUj6ApJNy8v]temp gauge & 2x4" exhaust pipe[/URL]
🔥 [b]PkGrills PKTX[/b]
🇺🇸 [b]Insta[/b] [URL=https://instagram.com/sandrobbq]@sandrobbq[/URL]
🇮🇹 [b]YouTube[/b] [URL=https://youtube.com/c/SandroBBQ]sandrobbq[/URL]
sandro is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-24-2021, 06:18 AM   #7
gtsum
Babbling Farker

I have a 1975 and picked it due to wait time, patina finish, even temps, huge firebox and cowboy option (which I use all the time) and steel thickness. I have only seen franklin and mill scale on the Internet but it APPEARS that they might be a little more refined on the fit and finish. Prettier welds, etc. I do like the water pan holder they have. For the money, I think Workhorse is awfully tough to beat

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
gtsum is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 09-24-2021, 07:26 AM   #8
Hugot
Found some matches.

My taughts exactly. At under 3k for that quality of smoker seems rly hard to beat. I wish i could see all 3 in person, but thats impossible where i live. I'm going 1969.
Hugot is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-24-2021, 07:54 AM   #9
Dustin Dorsey
Full Fledged Farker

I don't know how the Workhorse is as cheap as it is. The Franklin and Millscale are made in Texas and there is arguably some "cool factor" there. Other than the collector they are different designs in the exchange between the firebox and cook chamber. Which is best? I don't know. There are tradeoffs either way. The Franklin has a semi-insulated firebox which has to add some value, as well as the rounded end-cap on the stack side. That probably helps with airflow and convection on that side of the cooker.

The Workhorse has door that makes it easier to clean out the firebox. The Franklin has a lip there and that makes it a pain, but that lip has saved my ass when I had a log roll off when the log under it burned out and collapsed. It's kind of up to you. If I didn't buy the Franklin I probably would have gone with the Workhorse.

I think the Millscale might have a shorter wait time than the Workhorse right now. They make them in batches so it depends on when you order. They were taking orders for November pretty recently. I have no idea what the wait is on the Franklin.
Dustin Dorsey is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Thanks from: --->
Old 09-24-2021, 08:02 AM   #10
Hugot
Found some matches.

As of last week, the wait time on the Franklin pit was 18 to 24 months. 6 months for the workhorse and 3 months ish for mill scale. If i could choose any of those base on my research on the internet i would go for the mill scale but its 1400ish more than the same size workhorse.

Old 09-24-2021, 10:51 AM   #11
cdhbrad
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : CurtisH

In the grand scheme of things, Three Months passes really fast and.......you can buy a whole lot of fresh Briskets for $1,400.
cdhbrad is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-24-2021, 06:37 PM   #12
93_confirmed
Take a breath!

Have your compared them with LoneStar Grillz? It's about a 6 month wait.
93_confirmed is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-24-2021, 09:42 PM   #13
Bacchus2b
is One Chatty Farker

Can't comment on all three for cooking, but I have seen and cooked on Mill Scale and the quality is fantastic. Workhorse from the way I see it positioned is the "Value" brand of Primitive pits, and everything I've seen from Primitive Pits was also exceptional. Keep in mind that the Franklin Pit is the smallest of the bunch with a 20" x 42" cook chamber, and lightest at 600 pounds vs. 24" x 48" and around 800 pounds for Mill Scale and Workhorse.
Cookshack FEC-100
Weber Summit 420 Gasser
Pit Barrel Cooker
Weber 26" Kettle
PK Classic Grill
Bacchus2b is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 09-25-2021, 10:34 AM   #14
Matto6
On the road to being a farker

Name/Nickname : Matt

Workhorse just improved their production capacity so their wait time is supposedly coming down from 6 months. How much down will have to be seen.
Matto6 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-25-2021, 12:32 PM   #15
Sid Post
is One Chatty Farker

Being that far North, the only thing I could add is to consider an insulated firebox in the mix. That will extend your smoker season unless you are truly hardcore with your smoked meats.

The thicker body on the Workhorse will also serve you well during early and late season smoking in cooler weather.