MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 09-20-2021, 07:40 AM   #1
Matto6
On the road to being a farker

Name/Nickname : Matt
Default I'm not sure I like smoked beef

I bought a Kamado Joe a few months and have been using it for all sorts of stuff. I am really enjoying most of what I cook on it - the pork butts, ribs, chicken, and smoked salmon has been wonderful.

But every time I cook beef low and slow there's a flavor that I find off putting. I think I don't like the combination of smoke and beef together? Am I the only one? Either that or I'm producing "dirty smoke" and I'm sensitive to it?

The last beef I cooked was a top round for French dip sandwiches. I cooked it indirect at 250 (measured on the grate) using Kamado Joe charcoal and NO smoking wood. It was good but the outside still had that smell that I don't like.

Next I'm going to try the cleanest fire I can possibly make - I'll use a less flavorful charcoal - Royal Oak - and cool even hotter, maybe 275 on the dome thermometer. If that still tastes funny to me I'm not sure what to say.

Maybe I should try a Weber kettle and some Kingsford as an experiment instead?
Matto6 is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Thanks from: --->

Old 09-20-2021, 07:48 AM   #2
16Adams
somebody shut me the fark up.

It’s not uncommon to prefer the taste of grilled beef over smoked.

Old 09-20-2021, 07:49 AM   #3
Dustin Dorsey
Full Fledged Farker

I've seen other people post something to that effect so you aren't the only one. I love smoked beef, though. What type of wood are you using? Maybe try switching that up. I would find it odd that dirty smoke would be more objectionable on beef vs. pork, but some people are more sensitive to dirty smoke than others. I was taking a medication one time that made me particularly sensitive to dirty smoke.
Dustin Dorsey is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 09-20-2021, 07:51 AM   #4
mowin
Full Fledged Farker

I found i didn't like the flavor of smoked beef from a Kamado type smoker, but love it from my stick burner.
Everyone's different.
"Elizabeth Ann" bubba grills 250 ribbox RF offset.
mowin is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-20-2021, 08:05 AM   #5
Matto6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 16Adams View Post
It’s not uncommon to prefer the taste of grilled beef over smoked.
Interesting thanks. That works for thin steaks, but how do you cook big fat ones?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustin Dorsey View Post
What type of wood are you using?
On the last cook I didn't use any wood at all - just Kamado Joe charcoal, which is know to produce moderate smokey flavor. I used hickory the time before that and I could barely eat the steak. I threw away the leftovers. Others who ate it didn't hate it as much as I did.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mowin View Post
I found i didn't like the flavor of smoked beef from a Kamado type smoker, but love it from my stick burner.
Everyone's different.
Oh that's great to hear. I have an offset ordered but won't be here until spring.

In the mean time I'll try different charcoal as well as my Weber kettle.

Old 09-20-2021, 08:19 AM   #6
Markov

Name/Nickname : Kevin

For me, and for beef, the more collagen, and the more well done it is cooked, the more smoke I think it can handle. Things like brisket, ribs and to certain extent chuck roast, taste good to me with a fair amount of smoke.

Other things like top round and other roasts, and most steaks that are cooked medium or under, I prefer with just an aroma of smoke.

Old 09-20-2021, 08:29 AM   #7
16Adams

Thick steak: A favorite method but not only one

Hit with Kosher salt both sides And edges
Allow salt to pull moisture AND pull back in
Rub vigorously with truffle oil until opaque
Coarse Pepper both sides and edges
Place in hot grill 1-2 minutes rotate 90* 1-2 minutes
Flip and repeat
Wrap tight in foil and move away from flame
Remove at internal temp around 128*
Remove from cooker to serving tray
Allow to rest 7-10 minutes while tightly wrapped
Carefully remove foil as there will be a ton of natural juices

Old 09-20-2021, 08:37 AM   #8
Matto6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 16Adams View Post
Wrap tight in foil and move away from flame
So you do this to explicitly avoid any additional smoke flavor? Or to keep in the juices? Or both?

Old 09-20-2021, 08:46 AM   #9
ronbrad62

Name/Nickname : Ron

I found that I love the taste of smoke whenever I do a brisket. I've had too many that I did while I was learning and when I wrapped in foil, they ended up tasting like pot roast and didn't have a beef or smoked flavor at all.
I've seen some on here post that they just don't like the stagnant smoke taste of a kamado because it just doesn't circulate the smoke like other types of cookers, so that may have something to do with it there. It could be that taste is prevalent if you're more sensitive to it.
ronbrad62 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-20-2021, 08:55 AM   #10
Dustin Dorsey
Full Fledged Farker

My wife doesn't like smoke on steak but does like it on brisket. When I reverse sear a steak I just use charcoal, so that might be something to think about. Maybe try using a small amount of fully lit charcoal for the indirect portion of the cook rather than some kind of minion approach. I've never cooked on a kamado so I'm not sure how that works.
Dustin Dorsey is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-20-2021, 09:02 AM   #11
16Adams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matto6 View Post
So you do this to explicitly avoid any additional smoke flavor? Or to keep in the juices? Or both?
Juicy flavorful grilled. Personal taste preference. Not really running from anything just a preferred taste with natural juices

Old 09-20-2021, 09:06 AM   #12
Lahawk1
Full Fledged Farker

At that temp your charcoal may be oxygen starved. Try using less charcoal so you can keep the vents open wider thus having better air flow and hotter coals. Oxygen starved coals can produce a less than desired taste.

Gone but not forgotten, Meadowcreek TS60, Backwoods Party, Pitts and Spitts Ultimate upright, Backwoods Chubby G2, UDS

Gladly gone, Pitt Boss Copperhead
Lahawk1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-20-2021, 09:54 AM   #13
SMOKE FREAK
Babbling Farker

And I don't like smoked poultry. Love smoked beef. I reckon we're all a little different in what we like to eat.

Old 09-20-2021, 09:54 AM   #14
raynchk
Got Wood.

Name/Nickname : Mac

I'll go out on a limb here..

I had a vision kamado a few years ago and really didn't like it for low and slow. Made a pork butt and my girlfriend wouldn't eat it. What I really didn't like was the weight and then the firebox cracked.

Lately, in my obsessive *research* in looking at different cookers, I was seriously interested in a Kamado Joe. it's come up in a few posts that some kamado's *might* have a problem with too little air flow because of their efficency. A lot of youtube videos and Mad Scientist BBQ tout the airflow on a stick burner giving it a better smoke flavor. I don't know.. Kamado cooking has been around for a long time, but was it used for low and slow smoking?

Currently, I have a Hunsaker drum and was a little worried that the same thing might be happening (stale smoke). Last night I cooked a bottom round roast to test and it came out great. I was really pleased. Downside of the Hunsaker for me is using it to sear.

Old 09-20-2021, 10:42 AM   #15
gcs
is one Smokin' Farker

I'm the same except with venison, love it grilled, not so much smoked.
Brisket, good, smoked chuck, not so good...
Cook what you like, how you like it....
gcs is offline   Reply With Quote