Using downed trees for smoking wood

Matto6

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
My friend had a downed chestnut oak that was elevated off the ground, so I cut it up and brought it home. I was originally thinking of using it in the smoker, but I learned it was down for 2 years and upon splitting I see a small ring of moisture and mush between the barn and the wood.

I thought about splitting the bark and outer layer off, but it seems better to just use it in the woodstove instead?
cd0d7592232e68af490eff1af499c7dc.jpg
fa939f1d5202c92985e16ddedee55a57.jpg
63236890c3cb88cd9ef305bb81658ec8.jpg

I would use it and would not think anything about it and use down trees all the time and is all ready seasoned .

It is very difficult from a fire management pov to get a controlled fire and tbs from a tree still upright. I always prefer down, cut and split for my wood. :p

I’ll tell you there is enough live oak and post oak along 290 on the way to dripping springs, Tx for this board to smoke a lifetime. Might need to get a chainsaw. They are grinding all up into mulch. Sad.

Split it and allow to dry out and it will be fine imo,

I’ll tell you there is enough live oak and post oak along 290 on the way to dripping springs, Tx for this board to smoke a lifetime. Might need to get a chainsaw. They are grinding all up into mulch. Sad.

Perhaps a volunteer chain saw gang and a trailer ??? Wonder what they might say ???

I was wondering what they would say. I think they are making the road wider near the y.

They seem to be widening roads every where especially over bridges ... you've seen the sign ... guard rail damge ahead ... could not figure out why they would narrow the road over bridges.

They seem to be widening roads every where especially over bridges ... you've seen the sign ... guard rail damge ahead ... could not figure out why they would narrow the road over bridges.

I cringe when going over the bridge before salt lick and a big truck is coming the opposite direction. Lol

I prefer finding trees cut down or being cut down. The best thing about it is I know when it was cut. When I have to go to the woodlot to buy wood, the guy there can't tell me when the tree was cut. He's being honest cuz he doesn't know, not a problem with that, but I like to know how seasoned it is.

I go in the woods and cut up down trees every spring for my smoker. Some hickory's have been down for 3+ yrs.

Thanks everyone. I'll split it and let it try and see how it works out.

Back