• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Austrian Variant to Smoked Bologna

mbt

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I must admit...even if I live in Italy, where bologna (but here is called mortadella) has been invented, I alwasy cooked it in the wrong way grilled and served with lemon juice or balsamic vinegar.
Here, thanks to the brethren, I learned that smoked bologna is fantastic

but we can do more. We can do better

So, due to the fact that I live close to Austria, I find out a couple of "Extra BratWurst" in an austrian shop.:wink:

removed the plastic skin, some mustard as "glue" and two different types of organic rubs that I got in an shop (actually a herbalist shop)

hey... we are talking about Austrian Bratwurst... so smoke flavour must be appropriate !
What could be better than smoke bratwurst with Beer chips?

after a couple of hours, internal temp was 75°C (167 F) and a tanned invitating colour (can't describe or attach the scent...)

Just had the time to take a picture of one of the two dishes, with the sliced Bratwurst... the other dish vanished and I don't know where actually is...

well.. what can I say? Don't know about bologna you can find overseas, but I have to confess that smoked extrabratwurst is far far away. It can win the game without any dubt
really tender, juicy, with a lot of flavour... no dubt to do it again!

thank you for your attention

Looks awesome! My German wife found this one at Super King, I really like it (so does she), it’s amazing, and even better if it can stay around long enough for me to smoke it before it gets eaten.

Attachments

• E61E4462-1D05-4804-A637-93A604C212FE.jpg
    E61E4462-1D05-4804-A637-93A604C212FE.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 136
  • 285C6E20-C668-42DB-9378-7767D4C95014.jpg
    285C6E20-C668-42DB-9378-7767D4C95014.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 135
Looks AWESOME Marco

Marco, Absolutely Fantastic!!!
Looks like you nailed that one, and I am sure you will find that missing (and empty) dish!!
All I can fine here is Boars Head Bologna, and I keep looking for something like that!

Marco, I be glad to have some fried in butter with sauteed onions and a slice of provolone.

Looks like you nailed that one, and I am sure you will find that missing (and empty) dish!!
All I can fine here is Boars Head Bologna, and I keep looking for something like that!

Boars head makes mortadella, I wonder if you ask place that carries boars head if they'd offer

Mortadella and bologna are cousins, I like both (fried bologna is guilty pleasure) but mortadella is better

Fine looking cook. Put that on an onion roll, fine sandwich

Fine looking cook. Put that on an onion roll, fine sandwich

Looks good, the last time I did some I sliced it thick and put rub on each slice, I wasn't smoking anything else and it turned out great, much better than doing it all in 1 roll, I ran my pellet smoker at low temps for the most smoke, froze it in small packs to pull out for lunches, looking back I could have left it in the fridge cause it didn't last long.

Back