Perfect brisket flat slice and texture?

rikun

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Hi all,

First let me say I'm having a hard time with briskets and especially brisket flats. I've done more than my share of them, I'd say for flats in the couple of hundreds now. I'd happily do all packers, but flats is mostly what I can get here easily. I've asked advice before and applied, but still having a lot of hit and misses.

I've done them with all kind of ways, but my regular cook is hot & fast pretty much how Bludawg makes briskets. And for me it always takes longer than 4 hours naked + 2 hours bp/foiled to achieve what I think is probe tender.

I've had some amazing flats, some okay and some horrible flats. I just can't seem to find any baseline for producing good quality. We as a comp team have achieved some good results in European comps with brisket, 4th out 26 of and 10th out of 58. I'd say the variation is all due to texture, not because of taste. Although I think most of the brisket's awesome taste comes from the correct texture.

I'm wondering if this is due to variation in meat quality, or am I just not getting a consistent feel for when it's done? Most of the time I overcook them, if I go by the feel "probes like buttah". One possible explanation would be that the window of perfect doneness is very very short and I end up missing it most of the time. But do briskets toughen up if overcook, I thought they would still probe tender when overcooked?

Most of the flats don't feel jiggly at the time they probe tender, but some do. And the ones that do, end up being pretty nice. The bad ones are not tough, so I'm most likely not undercooking. I'd say they are dry and the taste is very bland, probably due to lack of moisture.

Here are some references and pics which probably will illustrate my texture problem better.

This is what I consider being close to perfect texture. It's moist, has good flavour, and the slice looks a bit like spider web with the meat fibers attached loosely to each other. It has just a hint of tug, but separates very easily. This is a slice of the better marbled one below.

And this is what I usually cook. Really dry, not tough, but still doesn't have gaps between meat fibers. When pulled, it immediately breaks cleanly between meat fibers and tastes mostly like pot roast. Sorry, couldn't find a pic of bad brisket, so here's a video that pretty much shows what I mean by texture I don't like:

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hZmGzjY4O5Y"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hZmGzjY4O5Y[/ame]

You can see in the video that it snaps right between muscle fibers and there appears to be no moisture between the fibers. Although now looking at that, that is probably just a hair undercooked?

Here's a pic of flat that was pretty much spot on, I seldom get a flat that has this kind of marbling. Could that be all there is to it?

And this is what I usually have:

I know flats aren't easy, but they can't be this hard, right?

I mean, I'm a fast learner generally, it shouldn't take years to get a feel for probe tender?!?

The best flats ive had have come from prime grade beef.

I feel quality has alot to do with flats turning our awesome

I feel your pain. It's kind of hit and miss for me too. I've only had one turn out perfect and it was a wagyu from SRF that I actually left on longer than I intended (overshot my target temp and never really checked with probe, but it was very jiggly when I took it off) because I was cooking a lot of other stuff for a Christmas party at my brother's house. It also sat in ice chest for several hours before I got to slice it. I gave my brother the first slice and his reaction was OMG this is the best thing I've ever tasted. I've been unable to duplicate it since then and I've tried every cooking method mentioned here. My flats are usually a little on the dry side. I know this sounds crazy but most actually taste better when reheated in the microwave the next day. They are moister than when I sliced! I'm going to get it right again or die trying. I definitely think that prime and wagyu are worth the extra bucks though, because of this site I joined Costco (closest store 1 1/2 hours from home, but I can get prime packers for less than I pay for choice at home). Good luck.

That perfect brisket texture video looks pretty close to me. Those slices could have been sitting out for a bit and they will dry a little

This is a really long video on a full choice cook I did, but fast forward to 31:00 and I start to live slice and is what I would consider cooked to "correct doneness" if you want to give it a label. Pretty juicy when sliced and i even joke about adding more juice to fake it had it been dry. I even remove the point as to not give it that false appearance of juice running down when squeezed because of all the fat between point & flat.
[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C2F71VwKJUw"]Full Brisket Cook/Smoke - YouTube[/ame]

Again the other slices look like they may have been on the counter for 5 or 10mins. It's just one of those things that comes with practice. My first many briskets were dry.

I've started doing a hybrid sous-vide/smoke. I smoke to like 155-160 and then SV for 24 hours (at like 150-155). Great texture, but you lose the nice bark. I've tried grilling after.

The best flats ive had have come from prime grade beef.

I feel quality has alot to do with flats turning our awesome

I agree for the most part. however, over Christmas time I cooked a monster select brisket that was simply outstanding! Sometimes you just get a bad piece of meat. Select can be great, Choice can be great, prime can be great, Wagyu etc. And sometimes even the highest grades suck!

Rikun, if you notice jasons brisket slices have much more of the "spider web" effect compared to yours. I believe most failed brisket cooks are under done. I know you dont believe this is the case by your previous post but a properly cooked brisket will have seperation of those fibers like his.

I'm a firm believer that the marbling within the meat is what counts the most. The problem is its hard to tell from the outside of vacuum packed meat. The best ones I've done, you can see the fat running through the meat after slicing and vac sealing. They look like a well marbled steak. The dry ones look like straight meat, barely any visible fat.

Long slow cook + lean meat= dry

Even with hot and fast, it's really not that hot and fast. In the grand scheme it's still relatively low heat, and a fairly long cook. Prime is your friend, but even those vary wildly in marbling. I guess the best advice would be to find a great and consistent source, then stick with them.

That perfect brisket texture video looks pretty close to me. Those slices could have been sitting out for a bit and they will dry a little

This is a really long video on a full choice cook I did, but fast forward to 31:00 and I start to live slice and is what I would consider cooked to "correct doneness" if you want to give it a label. Pretty juicy when sliced and i even joke about adding more juice to fake it had it been dry. I even remove the point as to not give it that false appearance of juice running down when squeezed because of all the fat between point & flat.
Full Brisket Cook/Smoke - YouTube

Again the other slices look like they may have been on the counter for 5 or 10mins. It's just one of those things that comes with practice. My first many briskets were dry.

I was with ya until you dissed Bea Arthur.

hotlike_bea.jpg

I was with ya until you dissed Bea Arthur.

hotlike_bea.jpg

Love Bea, but let's not beat around the bush. The last few seasons (90-92') it was like she was dialing it in...............:becky::tape:. Doesn't mean I still don't think that show was just amazing!! If anyone here doesn't like the golden girls then you just don't know what funny is :clap2::becky:.

I suggest that you cook the "Night Train" and get a feel for probe tender. If your cooking my brisket make sure you are at 300 on the grate. When I do Flats I wrap at 3 hrs and they usually give it up within 2 hrs.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FvUVyANtXXQ"]Pitmaster T's Famous - Night Train Brisket Experiment - YouTube[/ame]

Full Brisket Cook/Smoke - YouTube

I turned it off right after I heard you say you watched the entire season of Golden Girls? some stuff a man should never admit to, especially on camera and especially standing over a cooked brisket.

I turned it off right after I heard you say you watched the entire season of Golden Girls? some stuff a man should never admit to, especially on camera and especially standing over a cooked brisket.

Mission accomplished :clap2::becky:

I agree.. need more marbling/fat in the meat.. otherwise it's like smoking a steak! Quality of beef can make a big difference between decent and phenomenal results.

Flat is always fickle. In fact I don't enjoy eating it unless I make it usually. Here in Texas we enjoy sliced point instead of burnt ends. What I have noticed though is texture will never be completely consistent because it is related to too many factors: internal fat marbling, cook temperature, amount of moisture accompanying heat source, rest time, temperature consistency, addition of injection and marinade, ingredients such as phosphates in injection, use of foiling and addition of liquids and fats, correct carving direction, meat age and size, natural lean meat flexibility, among others I'm sure. So you can't expect the perfect flat every time but you strive for a method that gets you there more times than not.

One thing I noticed is your bark looked solid and dark. This is not carmelized bark that lends heightened flavor. Could be the use of dry heat, too sweet of a rub, too high cooking temp, or no use of a foil wrap that softens the bark if over-exposed. But I don't know enough to give any input just a thought!

Back