Brisket Flat

Doc6633

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Went to the store to get a packer but they only had flats so I am going to try a flat tomorrow. It is about 6 lbs and looks like it has a decent fat cap. A couple of questions:

1.) I have read some people going higher heat 275 or higher and others say low anywhere from 200 to 225. I typically cook at 250 for a packer. Thoughts?

2.) Also have seen people say they inject it and put bacon on it to keep it moist. I don't do either on a packer. What do you guys and women do? I do plan on wrapping.

3.). What internal temp do you start probing?

I would do what I'm most familiar with. 250F will work fine.

I was also thinking that flat should take around 7 to 10 hours, is that about what you guys would expect?

Cooking time will depend on the thickness of the flat, not it's weight. Cook at whatever temp you want. Higher chamber temp = shorter cook. Start probing around 180ish and pull when probe goes in and out of the thickest part of the flat like a knife through butter.

No need to do the bacon or injection.

Flats, I usually run them at 250 until IT is 150, then pour a beer in a pan and wrap til done, outstanding every time. Smaller flats can be knocked out in 5 hours easy.

Got it started

I got it started this morning. Decided to cook at 250 with just a dry rub and no injection. Will probably wrap at some point when the color is right. Here is the starting all rubbed up Flat.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 152
I would like to use paper but unfortunately it has been surprisingly hard to find around here. So this time I will use foil but I am going to find some paper. I am sure it is around here I just thought it would be a bit easier to find.

Here it is at about 160 right before wrapping it.i was hoping it would be a little darker but when ahead and wrapped for fear of drying it out since I have heard all the horror stories of dry flats.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 120
And the finish product. Not quite perfect but it was pretty good.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 103
Sorry couldn't get it do more than one pic at a time.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 102
Looks good to me, I like the color, texture looks like it was tender

How was it? That last shot looks like it could be a little under cooked

The texture was really good on the end that was thinner and decent on the thicker end. Moisture was pretty good but could have been a little better. Not for sure what to try to make it better next time but hopefully the thicker end will probe sooner for me next time.

Last edited:
The texture was really good on the end that was thinner and decent on the thicker end. Moisture was pretty good but could have been a little better. Not for sure what to try to make it better next time but hopefully the thicker end will probe sooner for me next time.

The brisket was close, but undercooked. A brisket's moisture comes from the breaking down and rendering of it's connective tissue. This is also what makes a brisket tender. probe the thickest part of the flat and when the probe goes in and out with no resistance, the brisket is done.

Back