Panning a brisket

smoke ninja

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Reaction score
With brisket pricing coming back to reasonable levels i finally feel safe experimenting with them.

Picked up an 11 lbs yellow tag brisket for $22 and im gonna pan it.

Basic salt and pepper and my normal trimming.

So how do you "panheads" do it?

Pan the whole time or after a bit?
Pan uncovered/covered or both?
Add liquid?

And dont anyone try and talk me out of it

Sometimes I will pan one, but usually at the stall. I pour in roughly 2 cups of apple juice and a couple tablespoons of beef base and place a not too tall rack in the pan so the meat does not rest in the juices.
After chilling to remove the fat, the au jus makes an incredible gravy!!!

22 bucks?!? Don't pan it smoke it up. Maybe you are talking panning at the stall instead of foil or butcher paper? To save the juice? Like a pork butt? Just smoke the thing! And more salt and pepper!

I have panned brisket before. I treat it like wrapping, that is to say, go naked until I see some color and bark development, then pan on a rack, cover with foil and finish. I add a little moisture, about 1/4 cup into the pan, and spritz a little onto the meat.

I like to use 50/50 of water and Worcestershire sauce

22 bucks?!? Don't pan it smoke it up. Maybe you are talking panning at the stall instead of foil or butcher paper? To save the juice? Like a pork butt? Just smoke the thing! And more salt and pepper!

$22 bucks and choice!

Like i said dont try and talk me down off the ledge. This is happening right now. I aint the dawg, i mix up the way i do things. Haven't been doing it for decades and learning for myself

1.5 hours in

What time did it go on? What are you smoking with? Still talking you off the ledge!!

On at 8:00 pm. Burning cherry splits in the offset @about 275. Once it goes in the the pan its going into the (gasp) oven @225. I cook hot and slow method.

Cheat to win

I pan most of mine from the start. No liquid in the pan. Cook til finished and the pan will have about an inch of juice in it. I find that when I pan the briskets they dont shrink as much and you get more yield.

On at 8:00 pm. Burning cherry splits in the offset @about 275. Once it goes in the the pan its going into the (gasp) oven @225. I cook hot and slow method.

Cheat to win

275 is bludawg not low and slow! Nooooooooo. Not the oven all night. At least put it in the cooler for a little nap and slap it back on.

After a ten hour cook, 5 in the pan, it feels really tender. IT was almost 210°. Just may be a little to tender. This sped my normal timing up quite a bit.

Here's a sneak peak

Brisky is resting until lunch........so am i

Im still confused on the whole resting for several hours thing. I mean, I know it'll stay warm for a couple hours wrapped up, but will it hold for six or so hours in a cooler and still be juicy and fresh? I assume you are doing the cooler thing, maybe you aren't?

The results are in.

Cooked faster than im used to so by the time i checked it was slightly over done. It wanted to fall apart just touching it. I vented for 20 minutes than wrapped up and put in the cooler. The drippings made a great ju. Although overcooked (falling apart) it wasnt dry. I am putting this in the top 3 briskets I've cooked. Thanks to Diesel Dave for sharing his technique with me.

Your looks good! I smoke mine until the stall then pan it with a little liquid on a shallow rack covered in foil. The wife insists on having the drippings for gravy.

Back