MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 12-02-2021, 02:54 PM   #1
Grasshopper
Found some matches.

Name/Nickname : Michael
Default Size of wood splits for a lsg 24x 48 horizontal

Forgive me if I missed it ,but I have searched the site extensively and ca n not find out what size wood to request from my fire wood guy. I will soon be receiving a lsg 24x48 horizontal offset smoker and I have no idea what size splits to start with. I prefer to cruise around the 220 to 230 range. If anyone has the same setup and/or experiance I would greatly appreciate some help. Ty
Grasshopper is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-02-2021, 03:13 PM   #2
bschoen
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Bruce

16 inch long splits and then get one of these to split them down to beer can diameter.

https://www.amazon.com/Kindling-Crac.../dp/B0725RRRS5

Disclaimer: I don't have an LSG, but this is a good general split size for any (most?) backyard stick burner.
bschoen is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-02-2021, 03:14 PM   #3
1MoreFord
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Joe

I'm not familiar with the firebox dimensions of the LSG but in my old 20 x 48 I'd run 12-16" splits. Measure your box and allow an inch or 2 of clearance at the ends of the sticks. I'd burn up to about 3" dia if round and up to 4 to 5" on the bark side if split. Get the length right and if you feel the sticks are too big you can get a kindling cracker and split them down to your satisfaction.

I'd advise you too cook on a stick burner at 250 - 275°F to start. Once you learn your pit it may prefer to run a bit hotter or cooler. You want to find a comfortable temp that doesn't require chasing the temp changes all the time and a temp where you can run thin blue smoke all the time.

Falcon MK V gaseous grill w/Grill Grates, OK Joe Longhorn w/ vertical - now gone, Char Griller Akorn, Camp Chef PG24SG, Weber 22" OTG w/SNS components
1MoreFord is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-02-2021, 03:16 PM   #4
robertm
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : ROBERT

Recommend you email Chris and get it from the horses mouth.

As noted above, the pit is likely going to want to run in the 250-275 range.

Thanks from:--->
Old 12-02-2021, 03:50 PM   #5
Grasshopper
Found some matches.

Name/Nickname : Michael

Ty guys for your knowledge and input. If it makes a difference I am also getting a fire managment basket. I will also try to email the question to lsg but I am not very computer savvy. Emails can prove to be a difficult task for me. Lol
Grasshopper is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-02-2021, 05:35 PM   #6
Nuco59
Babbling Farker

That is a very low and tight range of temps. I wish you luck, sir. I have to ride a 40 degree swing (20* either way) on a 275* desired temp on a direct fire vertical. I can only dream of holding as tight as you'd like. Mine is a roller coaster.

Old 12-02-2021, 06:49 PM   #7
BBQ Freak
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : BBQ Mojo

16" splits and coke size diameter like said above and the smaller the splits the fire will be more manageable .

Luke's Firepits / Grill

Lone Star Grillz Mini Insulated Cabinet Smoker
BBQ Freak is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-02-2021, 07:42 PM   #8
Greygoose
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Don

Buy a large kindling cracker,,,,,
One of the best investments for feeding an offset smoker with the right size splits
Greygoose is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-02-2021, 08:17 PM   #9
Hoss
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grasshopper View Post
Ty guys for your knowledge and input. If it makes a difference I am also getting a fire managment basket. I will also try to email the question to lsg but I am not very computer savvy. Emails can prove to be a difficult task for me. Lol
V shaped is the way to go.I do not have one but see where they would be helpful.I also recommend putting in a chimney of lit lump into the fire basket,then placing one split parallel to the smoker on the side of the firebox and placing another spit or two perpendicular and resting the end of the perpendicular spits on the parallel spit.Works for me and Chud.I use the square basket and can run any temp I want with regular firewood.I have an insulated Shirley and an uninsulated home made offset.Works on both cookers.
Hoss is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-03-2021, 04:50 PM   #10
BBQ Freak
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : BBQ Mojo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greygoose View Post
Buy a large kindling cracker,,,,,
One of the best investments for feeding an offset smoker with the right size splits

I will 2nd that and love mine and use mine every time i am cooking .

Luke's Firepits / Grill

Lone Star Grillz Mini Insulated Cabinet Smoker
BBQ Freak is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-03-2021, 06:48 PM   #11
gtsum
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQ Freak View Post
I will 2nd that and love mine and use mine every time i am cooking .

Third!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
gtsum is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-03-2021, 09:35 PM   #12
flexstar
Knows what a fatty is.

Name/Nickname : skip

I have a LSG 20x42 offset smoker and cut my wood to about 12". Your firebox will be a little bigger than the 20" LSG, and i think you will be happy with sticks in the 14 to 16" range. Just be sure to have a good bed of coals before you add your splits. I use lump charcoal to start my fire. The better bed of coals you have the easier it will be to maintain your temperature.
flexstar is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-04-2021, 01:01 AM   #13
sandro
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : sandro

12 to 16 by 3 or 4. Y'all are lucky cause I also have to hand-saw the splits down to 8-9" in length... One by one. And then carry them up 8 flights of stairs. With no elevator
🇺🇸 Insta @sandrobbq
🇮🇹 YouTube sandrobbq
sandro is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-04-2021, 01:49 PM   #14
txsmkmstr
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : ...

I get 18" splits - pretty standard size - and then cut them in half. A Kindling Kraker fine tunes the diameter. Pit holds rock steady with proper management. Like others mentioned the 250* - 275* range is the sweet spot. Forget your 220* desires - faster and better "Q" will be your result.