• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Frustrating Weekend Cook

kghart

Is lookin for wood to cook with.
Reaction score
I'd like to add brisket and chicken to my catering/vending menu so I decided to do a test cook yesterday. Unfortunately, it didn't turn out as I had hoped.

I know my first mistake with the brisket (6# from Sam's Club) was trimming too much fat. I dusted it with with rub and put it on the smoker at 275. At 175 I wrapped it in foil and put back on the smoker. It was at 200 and very tender when I tested with the probe at the 8 hour mark. I had expected it to go 10-12 hours. At this point I wrapped it a little more foil and put it in my insulated holder. Unfortunately, when I sliced it it was dry and it wanted to crumble. Taste was ok but just not moist and tender as I wanted. My chicken wasn't much better.

For my chicken test I used breasts, which were very thick so I sliced in half lengthwise to have more for the family. I also did a few whole thighs and some that I had removed the skin and bone. I also did four thighs "competition style".

I upped the temp on the smoker to 300/325 and put the chicken on that I had simply sprinkled with some rub. I was expecting the chicken to take a couple hours and when I checked it in 45 minutes the breast and boneless/skinless thighs were already drying out. The bone in thighs were already at 165 but the breast only at 140. I went ahead and sauced some and let the sauce go for another 15-20 minutes. I pulled everything off and let them rest for about 30 minutes. Everything other than the thighs pictures were very dry.

What did I miss?

IMG_20150404_161737_zpsu352yqlz.jpg

Last edited:
I smoke skinless seasoned chicken breast regularly, usually low n slow at 225° or thereabouts for about 90 minutes or until the interval temp is about 155°, higher internal temp dries them out but injecting can help with that.

I can't see the benefits of injecting in a retail environment. Time consuming and unnecessary, IMHO.

A 6lb brisket at 275 should be done in way less time than your projections and even less than you cooked it since you wrapped. All that being said as you know, they are done when they are done. If you tossed a 200 degree brisket still in foil, straight into your cooler, then I suspect it just continued to cook.

For chicken, leg quarters are almost fool proof and an easy way to introduce bird to the menu.

Best of luck!

I am not a caterer but did you ever brine chicken? It is easier than injecting and the best chicken I ever have made has been brined. It will keep it from drying out.

I can't see the benefits of injecting in a retail environment. Time consuming and unnecessary, IMHO.

A 6lb brisket at 275 should be done in way less time than your projections and even less than you cooked it since you wrapped. All that being said as you know, they are done when they are done. If you tossed a 200 degree brisket still in foil, straight into your cooler, then I suspect it just continued to cook.

For chicken, leg quarters are almost fool proof and an easy way to introduce bird to the menu.

Best of luck!

+1 on this.

Sorry guys forgot where I was, I seen the 4 pieces of chicken and was not thinking this was a retail environment. I'm no caterer and not in the business, so nevermind. Sometimes I just get lost in these pages and forums.:-D Carry on

I have to say, that most of the guys I know catering now, grill chicken breasts, marinated or brined chicken breasts, as the product is easily controlled and portioned. You can be quite consistent. The guys who really want to sell smoked chickens are either selling whole birds, that have been brined and smoked. Totally different game.

On the brisket, it sounds like you did not let the cooking process stop before you pulled, wrapped and stored. I did that once with the same result. Crumbled but tasted OK. Since then, I'll foil tent the brisket and let the temp drop to around 150*F IT before re wrapping.

Back