MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 06-16-2012, 03:36 PM   #16
Will work for bbq
Babbling Farker

Awesome, thanks for all the links.

Agent 000 (Double O Zero)
Certified MOINK Baller

When all else fails just ask yourself, WWGALD???
Super sexy Farkernaut Avatar by N8man

Will work for bbq is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->

Old 06-16-2012, 06:56 PM   #17
Pitmaster T
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will work for bbq View Post
Awesome, thanks for all the links.

You are welcome. I am glad I revived this and placed it in my signature. I will try and work on the list of brisket threads in the last year.

Edict.
Pitmaster T is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-16-2012, 08:04 PM   #18
swamprb
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitmaster T View Post
I can't find your threads swamp... didn't you do a Night train?
Grandma's oven brisket-

best I've eaten so far!
KCBS CBJ/PNWBA CBJ www.pnwba.com
swamprb is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-16-2012, 09:41 PM   #19
Mo-Dave
Quintessential Chatty Farker

The Popdaddy/Pitmaster Final Edict on BBQ Temps
I can agree with all of this, at least until I find out otherwise. I will give you kudos for the very impressive mass of information you have bestowed upon us.
Dave

Old 06-16-2012, 10:51 PM   #20
pwa
is One Chatty Farker

WoW thanks for the thread!! bookmarking for future reading of all links!!

pwa
WIFI Stoker
Custom Trailer Offset

Owner of BurlesQ BBQ shack
BurlesQ BBQ Facebook
BurlesQ BBQ website
pwa is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-17-2012, 12:22 AM   #21
fingerlickin'
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Whoa nelly, that must've taken you a while to compile all that in one spot. Thanks for putting in the effort. Wow.

"I can get a good look at a T-bone by sticking my head up a bull's a$$, but I'd rather take a butcher's word for it". - [I]Tommy Callahan III[/I][/COLOR][/COLOR]
[B][SIZE=2][COLOR=DarkGreen][SIZE=3][SIZE=2][COLOR=Black]
[/COLOR][/SIZE] [SIZE=2][COLOR=Black]Backwoods Ext. Party,[/COLOR][/SIZE][/SIZE][/COLOR][/SIZE][COLOR=DarkGreen] [COLOR=Black]Vision Kamado,[/COLOR][/COLOR][/B][B][COLOR=DarkGreen][COLOR=DarkGreen][B][COLOR=Black] 22" WSM[/COLOR][/B],[/COLOR] 22.5 Weber OTS, [/COLOR][/B][COLOR=DarkGreen][B]Mini WSM, [/B][COLOR=Red][B] UDS "No.8"[/B][/COLOR][/COLOR]

[COLOR=Teal] [COLOR=Black][B][COLOR=DarkSlateGray]Napkin Killers BBQ[/COLOR]
[/B][/COLOR][/COLOR]

Last edited by fingerlickin'; 06-17-2012 at 01:06 AM..
fingerlickin' is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-17-2012, 10:40 AM   #22
Pitmaster T
Babbling Farker

BLAST FROM THE PAST -- JUNE 15, 2008 - BIGMISTA

My first "quick" brisket Bigmista

Taken from the links above

Edict.

Old 06-19-2012, 07:54 PM   #23
---k---
is Blowin Smoke!

I agree with your edicts, ... but, what about edicts for where/how to measure the pit temp, how to rest thy meat, and type of cooker and fuel, and the definition of hot and fast versus low and slow. thanks again.

Proudly Smoking on a UDS, PBC &
Accidental Winner of the 2012 "Saucy" Throwdown.
---k--- is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-19-2012, 10:02 PM   #24
Pitmaster T
Babbling Farker

Too specific.. LOL "Rest" is Important though... I wish I had of put it in...but now it hath been sent to the printing presses and a copy shipped by my fastest ship in the armada so... it may be 6-7 months before she returns and a new edict can be formed...

Until then...consider I rest my briskets an extremely long time.

Edict.

Old 06-19-2012, 10:21 PM   #25
jckposter
On the road to being a farker

I'm a newbie an a believer.. Tried it an live by it...
Masterbuilt Elec 40 (back at Sam's)
jckposter is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-20-2012, 09:51 PM   #26
Pitmaster T
Babbling Farker

Thanks, and remember... Its an edict in that its a great STARTING POINT. You can either continue to make it this way... or begin to tweak... when you cross the line and screw things up... its easy to dial back to this "refocus spot"

This sweet and easy spot for brisket and ribs is not a hard and fast rule... but its good to experiement from this point, where fewer things can go haywire, than too hot or too fast, or too low and too low.... areas where MANY things can go haywire.

I feel the same way about rubs too... and injections.... if you try ev erything at once and something goes wrong... even taste... then what the hell went wrong.

I personally also think if you can... smoke your first stuff with charcoal only... if you are not a stick burner. Then you are really baseline.

Edict.

Old 06-20-2012, 11:14 PM   #27
RedPig
Full Fledged Farker

Thank you Pitmaster T for sharing your insight and wisdom with the brethren. I consider myself a decent cook and I have competed in a few contests and scored with my brisket in a couple, however I feel that I still have tons to learn and will never be satisfied with my brisket. I consider cooking a blend of technique, art and science. I also feel its like learning a musical instrument ( I play drum set). I'm decent at that too, but becoming a 'virtuoso ' requires years of study and practice. You've given up a ton of resources to read and consider and I thank you for taking the time to post them for the brethren.

Old 06-20-2012, 11:24 PM   #28
Pitmaster T
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedPig View Post
Thank you Pitmaster T for sharing your insight and wisdom with the brethren. I consider myself a decent cook and I have competed in a few contests and scored with my brisket in a couple, however I feel that I still have tons to learn and will never be satisfied with my brisket. I consider cooking a blend of technique, art and science. I also feel its like learning a musical instrument ( I play drum set). I'm decent at that too, but becoming a 'virtuoso ' requires years of study and practice. You've given up a ton of resources to read and consider and I thank you for taking the time to post them for the brethren.

Thanks!

Spoken like a guy who has not come to realize what a dick I am.

Edict.

Old 06-21-2012, 12:44 AM   #29
PatioDaddio
Babbling Farker

Sorry, but any "edict" about BBQ is akin to any edict about making love -- no such thing.

John
PatioDaddio is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-21-2012, 01:36 AM   #30
Pitmaster T
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatioDaddio View Post
Sorry, but any "edict" about BBQ is akin to any edict about making love -- no such thing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatioDaddio View Post

John

Patio... you know I have mad respect for your skills BUT Please Read above.... Quotes from above are in bold

1. You think you are going to pursuade me I am anything but a "King," for essentially I am one, as Henry the IV was in Luigi Pirandello's, Enrico the IV. If you know what this refers to or at least are the type of intellect that would wiki this so you could appear to know what you are talking about then you have the intellectual qualifications to participate because it is a hell of a reference to what I do.

Check out the play... specifically ask yourself... who was the King really, did he know he was the King, Did he know if they Knew he was King or not.

"So who is this edict for? If you are struggling with a meat and/or have tanked your scores, and/or are totally new and want a starting point or re-reference point, I say this might be the law for you."

You are an expert pitmaster patio.... does it say this is for expert pitmasters?

Over and Over again.... not the point.... not saying its the only way.

Also of note, quoted from above:

"that these laws are intended, once again, for the novice to new meats"

and

" that once the meat is mastered at the entry temp suggested, it is ENTIRELY fine to tweak to either side in both time and temp and even rub, slather, or artifical injections, to get to where the individual desires."

So once again... no matter who may come in trying to be diplomatic and say "there is no one way to cook BBQ" that is not what the "Edict" is about. Especially not coming from a guy that makes an awesome brisket like Patiodaddio, using many of the same methods.

Edict.

Tags
brisket