2 Prime Tri-Tip’s and Oakridge Santa Maria vs. Pappy’s

rwalters

Quintessential Chatty Farker
Reaction score
Living in CA all my life, I have never known a time where tri-tip was not readily available. One of the few good things left about this state... lol. And as far back as I can remember, Pappy’s rub has been my go to tri-tip rub. It’s not an expensive rub and can be found in many grocery stores. You can buy LARGE shakers at places like Smart n Final for around $12-15. Launched back in the day out of Clovis CA, my old stomping grounds, Pappy’s is just the rub ya use on tri’s. I have tried many others over the years but have always returned to Pappy’s as my favorite. All of that said to say that I recently snagged a bag of the Oakridge Santa Maria rub during their 10 year anniversary sale. I wasn’t even considering a showdown until I opened the bag of Santa Maria and gave it a good whiff. WOW does it smell good. Being a weird dude, I had each member of my family close their eyes and do a blind “whiff test”. Oakridge Santa Maria was the overwhelming whiff test winner. With those results I decided a showdown was needed. Soooo, tri tips have had the Jaccard treatment, been rubbed down and placed in the fridge for the night. The cook will happen tomorrow and each member of my family will be given a small slice from each. I will let you guys know the results tomorrow. Pappy’s in one corner and Santa Maria in the other. May the best rub win :)

The rubs...
8a7c167da5eb31a24291c25f44f5f9ff.jpg

98f999295ff70657fe290f47ce84c50e.jpg

The tool...
b8239b5616f47f8038ef59b2cb883ef5.jpg

The tri-tips...
a6dd3bc62314174caf26069c09990b95.jpg

4762f1214107797051d31df8b8bc32ca.jpg

Two tri-tips. One rubbed down with Pappy’s...
3aaacdc17af998efe3c732b18a5cec6f.jpg

And the other with Santa Maria...
5c23a37a7189edaa5b40852bf06acc8c.jpg

All ready for the fridge...
4c91bd1af21d286a369e8d8b71350dc0.jpg

Why 1 toothpick in the Pappy’s and 2 in the Santa Maria. Well, Pappy’s has been my #1 for many years. Is it possible that the toothpicks will be switched?!?! I plan on reverse searing these on the MAK/Otto Wilde. We should have a winner sometime tomorrow evening :)

Looking forward to the cook Rob, I wish I was there!

Curious, will you be able to fit both tri-tips into the Otto-Wilde at the same time?

I'd be careful using a jaccard on any meat that is not going to be cooked well done.

I hear ya! Been using a Jaccard for probably 25 years... never an issue... knock on wood. Hoping/praying I don’t have to learn the hard way.

Looking forward to the cook Rob, I wish I was there!

Curious, will you be able to fit both tri-tips into the Otto-Wilde at the same time?

It would be super tight if they do. I do 1 at a time for about 60-90 seconds each side. It’s super quick.

Somebody got too much money and time on his hands. Why not just put one toothpick in one tri-tip and be done with it (see what I mean about too much money?????).
Ed

When it comes to visual effects for the brethren, no expense spared my friend! As far as too much time and money… as a husband & dad of nine who is highly involved, I assure you neither are true. Just so happens that outdoor cooking is not only my hobby but also serves as my therapy... lol ;-)

In for the results. I use pappy's a lot good stuff for sure. I like it on ribs too.

I ordered Oakridge Santa Maria, but haven't tried it yet. This thread made me go open it and give it a whiff and taste. Wow - this stuff smells and tastes great! Can't wait to use it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back