Need to refrigerate just cooked brisket

TGrisham

Wandering around with a bag of matchlight, looking for a match.
Reaction score
I started smoking a 3.8 lb flat today at 2 PM. I usually cook 10-12 lb briskets but thought I'd try this out because I could cook it a lot quicker theoretically. I anticipated it taking 4 - 4 1/2 hours to cook. It took all of 7 hours and got done at 9 PM. It was tender around 195 degrees. It's now 10:15 PM and I'm realizing my brisket dinner ain't happening anymore. I guess I'll eat it tomorrow. It has to rest for an hour more to reach the two hour rest. After the two hour rest, should I slice then refrigerate or refrigerate it whole?

Thanks in advance for the help!

TGrisham

Whole then reheat whole - it will retain moisture much better. I slice n sauce ( Thinned Stubbs) the entire brisket at once , all the time tho.......I rest 1 hr most times cuz I'm ready to eat by then.

I would refrigerate whole and reheat whole.

Unless you are planning on vac-sealing dividing into a couple meals for later dates, then I would slice and tile the slices with a little broth before sealing. Then just drop the bag into boiling water when ready to eat, turn off the burner and wait 10 minutes before eating.

Back