MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 03-24-2010, 03:32 PM   #16
Grillman
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattzilla View Post
When I wrap my MOINKS I put them on a skewer. I fit 5 on each one. Easy to handle and we can just grab a stick and relax.
That's the Ticket!

Would they now be called "MOINK Kabobs"?

And if you slid them on a Sub roll....would that be a "MOINK ball sandwich"?

Old 03-24-2010, 03:50 PM   #17
1_T_Scot
is Blowin Smoke!

I would stick to tooth picks or take them off the skewer before serving. I took some to a potluck one time and had a Jacka$$ take take 6 of them he tried the first one and Chipolte/Rasberry glaze was too spicy he threw them away. I just about Farking Exploded! These where on individual toothpicks and this won't be a problem if you don't have any JackA$$'s around. ok Rant over sorry!

Supporting Disabled Veterans. Link Removed. Diveheart .org

Large Big Green Egg - Fathers Day 2009
1_T_Scot is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-24-2010, 03:57 PM   #18
Chef Jim
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRI_Guy View Post
Another tip - don't use colored toothpicks or you will end up with stained balls.........I'm just sayin.

And don't make falafel based MOINK balls or your kids will need therapy.
Stained Balls? OMG

[FONT=Tahoma][SIZE=3][FONT=Tahoma]A veteran is Someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life." That is honor, and there are far too many people in this country who no longer understand it. Author unknown.[/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT]

[COLOR=Red][COLOR=Black]
[/COLOR][/COLOR]
Chef Jim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-24-2010, 04:21 PM   #19
The BBQ QB
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
When I wrap my MOINKS I put them on a skewer. I fit 5 on each one. Easy to handle and we can just grab a stick and relax.

My thoughts exactly....

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1_T_Scot View Post
...this won't be a problem if you don't have any JackA$$'s around.
Since I'm the resident JackA$$ shouldn't be an issue, but your point has been noted.

Mike D
The BBQ QB is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-24-2010, 04:29 PM   #20
Mad Max
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chambersuac View Post
They are not NECESSARY for them to be "authentic" - but they are pretty much needed for holding the bacon in place...if you find another way to keep the bacon on, please let us know. I guess you could use skewers....
Quote:
This weekend, we were just doing some MOINKS and chicken, to practice, and we decided to skewer them. I believe about 5 or 6 to a skewer and it was even better than the toothpick, and no risk of staining your balls!
Weber 22.5 Blue Kettle (CL rescue)
Turkey Fryer
Superbly accurate, ferociously fast,
RED THERMAPEN

"Certified MOINK Ball Maker" 2008
www.southerntreats.blogspot.com
Mad Max is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-24-2010, 04:31 PM   #21
Rich Parker
Babbling Farker

I use the real cheap bacon and just wrap them real tight so i don't need a toothpick.

Old 03-24-2010, 05:22 PM   #22
bigabyte
somebody shut me the fark up.

Personally, I think only one person can tell us for sure if a skewer is legal in MOINK or not. I defer my opinion on toothpicks vs. skewers until they have chimed in!
Certified MOINK Baller & IMBAS Certified MOINK Ball Judge #0003 - Are you MOINK Certified?
Sole recipient of the Silverfinger and fingerlickin Awards!

Don't forget about the Throwdown Thingies!
The Secret Squirrel Society doesn't exist - Zero Club

Duh.
bigabyte is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-24-2010, 08:15 PM   #23
Emil
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Max View Post
This weekend, we were just doing some MOINKS and chicken, to practice, and we decided to skewer them. I believe about 5 or 6 to a skewer and it was even better than the toothpick, and no risk of staining your balls!
I have put them on skewers before. Easy to handle and move around the grill. When they are finished I take a wire type cutter and cut them in singles or doubles. Seems to work okay.
Emil is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-26-2010, 08:52 AM   #24
backwoods
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Ok last night i made up about 40 MOINK balls and a bacon wraped fatty to smoke this afternoon. The plan is to pull the balls when the bacon looks crispy and pull the fatty when it hits about 170. Is this correct? wish me luck because if there is a way to screw this up ill find it.
backwoods is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-26-2010, 09:45 AM   #25
Gore
Phizzy

Location: Hiding out from blood suck ghost snake gods, Nazis and scrap iron chefs trying to harvest body parts
Name/Nickname : Gore (surprise!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by backwoods View Post
Ok last night i made up about 40 MOINK balls and a bacon wraped fatty to smoke this afternoon. The plan is to pull the balls when the bacon looks crispy and pull the fatty when it hits about 170. Is this correct? wish me luck because if there is a way to screw this up ill find it.
That's a good plan. I've pull fatties between 165-170*. I don't like to go above 170 as they can get dry.

The hardest part of the MOINKs is getting the bacon cooked. When I wrap, I make sure it is not doubled over or else the inner layer is rubbery. I usually wrap it around and then trim off excess bacon. My family (except for myself) likes bacon crisped. If you use uncooked meatballs, they will still be cooked before the bacon is cooked. I've even partially cooked the bacon before wrapping the balls. This can be done in a microwave, or on the grill. Again, it is unnecessary.

There are many ways to cook the fattie. I typically cook in an aluminum pan or on a sheet of Al-foil with edges turned up to catch the grease or on the grill with a grease pan underneath until about 165. If I cook in a pan then I finish on the grill to try to cook the bacon wrap. You may or may not drain the grease from the pan during the cook. Depending on your temp, it will take you from 1-3 hours to hit temp. You can also do a 3-2-1 method at about 225* Do try to use a remote thermometer. The temps on these can rise very rapidly and if it gets too high it will dry out.That is not a catastrophe, but we're aiming for great results. I'd like to think it is hard to ruin a fattie, but I can imagine a grease fire caused by not having a grease pan underneath would do it!
(='.'=) This is the rabbit baby. Invests him in yours signature,
(")_(") and the help rabbit baby takes over control of the world!
Hmmmm, I wonder, WWGALD? Avatar courtesy of Grillman and NorthwestBBQ

Promoted by Bigabyte to "Idiot #1" , and dubbed "Phizzy" by Sir Ron.
Gore is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-26-2010, 09:59 AM   #26
BBQ Grail
somebody shut me the fark up.

A whole thread about MOINK Balls and every post is properly capitalized correctly. I'm so proud...

Soon to be a Texafornian.

For a limited time I will be issuing Moink Ball Certificates. I'm working on a special COVID 19 Verson.
Email me for details.
BBQ Grail is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
MOINK, moink balls