MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 06-06-2019, 09:21 PM   #9646
Bob C Cue
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Good to see you posting Andrew. I also have been remiss in posting much here. I'll try to do better!
Thermapen Classic
Thermoworks Smoke

[I]Ephesians 2:8-9
For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast[/I].
Bob C Cue is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->

Old 06-08-2019, 08:00 PM   #9647
dcbc
Got Wood.

Name/Nickname : DCBC

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyjohnson619 View Post
Same here.... I have had my pbc for 3 years and never put a thermometer in it... it just cooks at what ever temp it wants... I have even lit it.. threw some pork shoulders in thenew left for 6hrs

This. The whole point of the PBC is to light it, toss the food in, and let it cook at whatever temperature it wants to cook. I use the PBC when I don't want to mess with things. If I want to dial in a temperature and have things take longer cooking lower (so I can sleep in usually on an overnight cook), I use the WSM.
dcbc is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 06-10-2019, 02:02 PM   #9648
PNWSmoke
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hs106 View Post
I was thinking about buying a PartyQ. Was a little concerned about the battery life and batteries quitting in the middle of a cook. How have you found the battery life?
You are supposed to be able to run them with reusable batteries. I tried two brands and they didn't work. If you can get them running on reusables, just put in a fresh charged pair every time and don't worry about it.

I bought a Costco pack of Duracells and get probably 20ish hours out of a set. The hardest thing is that the battery indicator will tell you the batteries are nearly dead after 8-10 hours. It lies. I've done 5-6 hours with the indicator telling me it could die at any point.

Still, I tend to check once an hour to make sure it's still running. I used to actually run out and look at the thing. Now I can look out the window for the little puffs of smoke as the fan turns on.
PNWSmoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-10-2019, 02:07 PM   #9649
PNWSmoke
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goose52 View Post
PBC questions
i've had my pbc for about 3 years but it seems to me that my cooking times are longer than many people's. last week i did a rack of baby backs for 3.5 hours and 1/2 a chicken for 3.25 hours. they were both excellent but does this seem long to you? i have my vent opened much larger than what's recommended and i have resorted to using lighter fluid to get the briquettes going. i have noticed that coals by the vent burn faster than those on the other side which seem to burn sluggishly. any suggestions? longer startup time for the coals before putting lid on? advice on position of vent in relation to wind direction?
I found the same thing for my PBC - everything took longer than advertised. I started monitoring temps and found things to be running at 220ish. That's fine if you want to do low and slow, but I don't have time for that, and want hot and fast, and somewhat predictable cooking times. The PartyQ fixed that for me.

I think it's just hard to have 1 barrel that works EVERYWHERE, and where I live, it's just not operating as intended.
PNWSmoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-10-2019, 11:00 PM   #9650
hs106
Got Wood.

I agree. Here in Vegas it can be 115 degrees or 25 degrees. I am at 3,000 feet and I never get the same temps with the vent set at one position and with using a set number of coals.
hs106 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-10-2019, 11:47 PM   #9651
Kanco Connection
is One Chatty Farker

Fired up the PBC with the boy. Posted here: http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=272911

Old 06-11-2019, 11:06 PM   #9652
jhawklver
Got rid of the matchlight.

Name/Nickname : Matt

Hi all - got my PBC about 2.5 weeks ago and have cooked ribs and pulled pork so far. Both were awesome. I'll need to learn to post pics. I've had great success just following the videos on the site. I am interested in figuring out the half basket stuff but I figure I'll do that after getting used to things. For now, I'm getting 8-10 hours on a basket, not messing with it much and mainly setting and forgetting (a big selling point for me honestly). Waiting on approval I read a bit over 1/2 this thread, then jumped to the past 100 pages or so. Great thread and info. I'll read the rest over time.

I love BBQ (live in KC), have always wanted to get a smoker. Two things have always stopped me. First, I live alone and that's a lot of meat. Second, given the first point I haven't wanted to spend a ton on a smoker.

Stumbled upon the PBC site, started researching and was really interested in the PBJ. Turns out, they aren't selling those now and couldn't give me a time frame for when they would again (basically I got the impression it's not soon in correspondence). Decided to go PBC and just eat the leftovers during week/vac seal and freeze.

Long story short (too late), so far this has been an awesome purchase. The meat market/butcher close to my house is going to be getting way more of my $$$. But, spending $$$ eating out vs. leftovers and this thing will pay for itself over time, right? Right?
jhawklver is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-13-2019, 06:26 AM   #9653
Goose52
Knows what a fatty is.

Name/Nickname : Mark

I have used my PBC twice since I last posted and tried lighting it using a chimney as recommended by others. I also rotated the coal basket after 90 minutes of cooking. The food was very good but the PBC didn't really work much differently. The coals still burned a little sluggishly. On the second cook (meatloaf) i actually had to crack the lid to get the coals & smoke going again. I guess i will try letting the coals really get going before putting on the meat which is counter to Noah's instruction video. Also i will go from 75% to 100% open on the air vent.
Goose52 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-13-2019, 08:24 AM   #9654
Springram
is One Chatty Farker

Make sure you are filling the charcoal basket to the top. Then take out from the center whatever number of charcoals it takes to fill the small sized charcoal chimney. Light up the charcoal chimney and put the grey and flaming charcoals in the center of the basket. Keep the intake adjusted as per your elevation.

I know these are the basic instructions but if you do them as directed, you get the proper heat you want. Like the 'ol saying... "it ain't rocket science".
Weber 22.5 Master Touch
Hunsaker drum
Weber Smokey Joe
Blackstone griddle
PK Grill (original)
Springram is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-13-2019, 09:15 AM   #9655
Stlsportster
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Parental Assigned Label

are you letting the chimney of lit coals come to fully lit? make sure the top coals are that deep red/grey on fire before you dump.

If they are still mostly black with a little grey you need to wait a little longer for higher temps.
Stlsportster is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-13-2019, 07:36 PM   #9656
PUNKem733
On the road to being a farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by hs106 View Post
I agree. Here in Vegas it can be 115 degrees or 25 degrees. I am at 3,000 feet and I never get the same temps with the vent set at one position and with using a set number of coals.

I live in the high desert of Cali, and I'm at 3000 feet also, with temps that can be 18 degrees to well, lol, 115. I get just about the same temps every time. Maybe some barrels are manufactured with tighter tolerances or so.
PUNKem733 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-13-2019, 08:07 PM   #9657
Springram
is One Chatty Farker

When I first got my PBC, I measured my internal temps. I would be at 330* and then as the cook went on, I would get as low as 275*. Kinda averaged out around 300*. Worried about it. Worried some more. Then... quit measuring the temps and just started to hang the meat and sit back. The 'ol saying "it's done when it's done" works well on the PBC. For chicken, if I want crispier skin, I might tilt the top some the last 20 minutes or so. For pork loins and half chickens I monitor the internal temps with my remote thermometer. The PBC is a simple machine. Try not to make it hard.
Weber 22.5 Master Touch
Hunsaker drum
Weber Smokey Joe
Blackstone griddle
PK Grill (original)
Springram is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-13-2019, 09:07 PM   #9658
gatorjj
Found some matches.

Name/Nickname : J.J.

I always measure temps, but it's more to see what's happening and figure out how long before I check when things might be done. I'm also trying to learn how it operates, i.e. how long I let it burn with the lid off at the start seems to affect how hot it will run.

More of a bbq-geek thing, I like to know what's happening and at least think I can have some control over it. The experiments are always tasty though, no matter what it ends up doing :)
gatorjj is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-14-2019, 04:46 AM   #9659
Goose52
Knows what a fatty is.

STL, following the instruction lighting video to the letter results in an uneven fire to the point that i started looking online for forums & advice on the PBC. I will tweek my setup & fire startup until i get a consistent fire to cook over. thanks for the reply.

Here's my first attempt at posting a pic:

Old 06-14-2019, 04:48 AM   #9660
Goose52
Knows what a fatty is.

ahh, worked as well as my startup technique!

Tags
hanging meat, Hooking meat, Noah Glanville, PBC, PBJ, pit barrel cooker, pit barrel junior, pork butt, set it and forget it