MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Catering, Food Handling and Awareness > Catering, Vending and Cooking For The Masses.

Notices

Catering, Vending and Cooking For The Masses. this forum is OnTopic. A resource to help with catering, vending and just cooking for large parties. Topics to include Getting Started, Ethics, Marketing, Catering resources, Formulas and recipes for cooking for large groups.

Old 08-12-2020, 11:40 AM   #1
BigDaveBBQ
Knows what a fatty is.

Name/Nickname : Dave
Default First Wedding! Tri-tip & Chicken

This Saturday I have my first wedding since we opened our business in May.

It is for 100 people and I am going round and round on the amounts I need. When we set up our food trailer we just make enough to fit on the smoker and sell out. Now I actually have to plan and the last thing I want is to run out of food at a paid wedding. We are charging $23 / PP. We are doing the full service catering and service.

Menu: 100 PPL
Tri-TiP
Chicken Thighs
Mac&Cheese
BBQ Baked Beans
Mixed Green Salad

How much raw tri tip and Chicken thigh?

Thank you guys so much.
BigDaveBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-14-2020, 09:51 AM   #2
BigDaveBBQ
Knows what a fatty is.

Man no love on my post lol Well I am going today to buy the meat. Going with 50 LBS of tri tip and 40LBS chicken. Got the sides all handled.
Old 08-14-2020, 03:25 PM   #3
HBMTN
is Blowin Smoke!

Tri-TiP I do brisket but I'd figure 6-7oz cooked tri-tip pp minimum
Chicken Thighs 90-100 thighs. We get leg quarters and cut to drumsticks and thighs. 1 pc per person so 50 quarters total.
Mac&Cheese 3 full hotel pans 2.5" deep
BBQ Baked Beans 1 full and 1 half pan (or two pans if you really want to be safe)
Mixed Green Salad tossed salad made with about 10-12lbs of lettuce if this is served as a side along with the other sides

How much raw tri tip and Chicken thigh? Don't have raw answers for tri tip and we count pieces for chicken.

Also, don't forget to account for vendors, your staff and even a few extras for venue staff if you didn't get those counts from the B&G. Expect about 6-10 plus your staff. My numbers about do not account for these extra people.
Old 08-14-2020, 10:56 PM   #4
BigDaveBBQ
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HBMTN View Post
Tri-TiP I do brisket but I'd figure 6-7oz cooked tri-tip pp minimum
Chicken Thighs 90-100 thighs. We get leg quarters and cut to drumsticks and thighs. 1 pc per person so 50 quarters total.
Mac&Cheese 3 full hotel pans 2.5" deep
BBQ Baked Beans 1 full and 1 half pan (or two pans if you really want to be safe)
Mixed Green Salad tossed salad made with about 10-12lbs of lettuce if this is served as a side along with the other sides

How much raw tri tip and Chicken thigh? Don't have raw answers for tri tip and we count pieces for chicken.

Also, don't forget to account for vendors, your staff and even a few extras for venue staff if you didn't get those counts from the B&G. Expect about 6-10 plus your staff. My numbers about do not account for these extra people.
I really appreciate the reply!! I got 102 thighs, 54 lbs of trimmed tri tip. 20lbs salad. 98 bread rolls, i just realized I only have 1.5" trays for Mac and have 4 of them!! Think that will be enough?. 2 full trays of beans.

Its 100 ppl so we are setting up 2 lines to get people through faster.

Last edited by BigDaveBBQ; 08-14-2020 at 11:09 PM..
Old 08-17-2020, 02:52 PM   #5
midwest_kc
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Joel

Coming to this thread late, but, how did it go? Tell us about all your success!
Old 08-18-2020, 09:35 PM   #6
mchar69
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Quote:
Tell us about all your success!
Or not, so we all could learn.
mchar69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2020, 09:59 AM   #7
BigDaveBBQ
Knows what a fatty is.

The wedding went great, however my numbers were way over inflated.
I made 54 LBS of pre trimmed try tip, was roughly 28 2 LB tri tips. I had 2 FULL Trays left of tri tip. Each person got 3 to 4 slices.

40LBS of chicken thighs (102 total pieces) there was 20 pieces left

4 Full Trays mac and cheese (2" depth trays) there was 1 full tray left

98 dinner rolls, there was 25 left

20LBS of salad there was 7lbs left

All in all food costs and labor we were 771 into the wedding and we collected 2562.30
Old 09-19-2020, 11:05 AM   #8
SwineGuy
Full Fledged Farker

I wouldn't say you were way over. You absolutely cannot run out of food at a weeding. And at the end your costs were about 1/3 of your revenue. That's a good ratio. I think you did a nice job there!
Thanks from:--->
Old 09-19-2020, 12:14 PM   #9
TravelingJ
is Blowin Smoke!

Name/Nickname : Justin

I'm still dialing in quantities when I cook for family events. Most are 25, some range up to 50. I try to keep notes on "1 pan for 25" "double recipe for the family" so I have something to go on later. I will often make WAY too much. I've found that mentally it's better to go into it knowing I will have leftovers and that some will get frozen, and I'll learn the ratio for the next event.

The fact that you didn't run out, and you profited well, looks like a win in my book. And you have plenty of leftovers!
TravelingJ is offline   Reply With Quote