Chuds BBQ newest YouTube

First time checking his videos out. I got pretty derailed for a while.
Gonna try the boat Sunday.

Fricken Texans.. :yo: .. get to go to the regular grocery store and buy a Waygu Brisket. I'm lucky to find a prime without going to a butcher shop.

LOTs of Texans cooking Select and seldom going higher than Choice.
Prime seems to be everywhere and Wagyu is showing up in BBQ stores and meat shops. My nearest HEB is 125 miles. I took a cooler and stocked up on Sausage.
The foil boat works. I hung this Select in the OK Joe Bronco then foil boat to probe tender then cheap cooler down to 170* or close before sliced

Last edited:
Fricken Texans.. :yo: .. get to go to the regular grocery store and buy a Waygu Brisket. I'm lucky to find a prime without going to a butcher shop.

It's hard to find anything other than a sad choice here in the grocery stores. Most of em look like they've been through the grinder once, and the flats are good if they are over 1/2". Once in a while Costco will have something, but it's hit and miss. I can get prime and waygu at a couple of places, but the cost is prohibitive. I am still trying to learn to cook a brisket with any success, and it hard to justify well north of $100 for a possible fail.:cry:

Love his videos and this is no exception. Planning to do a brisket in a couple of weeks and going to give this boat thing a try.

This forum, printed articles, books, YouTube can make you realize that there are lots of cooker types and lots of ways to cook a brisket successfully. What I do and what y’all do to get there is better than any State Fair ride. Bludawg Kiss method dang near shows up in some form of every online celebrity Brisket Cook. It’s interesting to read about the lotions potions pills and chemistry that some use. Just as interesting as 16 Mesh Black Pepper- kosher salt by volume or by weight.

When you think about it, you’ll hear people say they have a grand chicken cooker or I have a fish smoker , seldom do you hear someone say they have a dedicated brisket cooker. At least in the backyard realm. I think any cooker, Barrel-Ceramic-Offset-Steel-Pellet make great brisket. True heat and meat.

Large round point
Thick even flat (or trim flat grind to hamburger to even)
50/50 Coarse Black Pepper
275*

Trim
From none to hairless chihuahua. I’ve seen both. Watch Franklin, Harry Soo, Chud reference trim. None skin like a snake. Some do successfully. I’m not an aggressive trimmer. Hard fat, shape point and flat and leave at least 1/4” on flat.

Lots of ways to select, prep and cook brisket successfully.
It’s a tasty journey

Not to take anything away from other channels, but in my opinion Brad is the best BBQ channel on YouTube. His experience at Freedmen's and LeRoy and Lewis puts him leaps and bounds above the others. I'm happy he can now do this and his pit building full time.

It's hard to find anything other than a sad choice here in the grocery stores. Most of em look like they've been through the grinder once, and the flats are good if they are over 1/2". Once in a while Costco will have something, but it's hit and miss. I can get prime and waygu at a couple of places, but the cost is prohibitive. I am still trying to learn to cook a brisket with any success, and it hard to justify well north of $100 for a possible fail.:cry:

I've never cooked Waygu, but I've done my share of Primes, and to tell you the truth the best briskets I've ever turned out were Selects. Just have to cook them at a lower temp and give them more time IMO. That said, it must be great for them to be able to walk into an H-E-B and buy a quality brisket out of the cooler. I love Texas, if I ever move out of Kentucky I'm probably heading to Austin. (or Tampa).

He did a nice job of trimming. I have been trimming a lot of the fat between the point and flat. I am using the point as burnt ends. He didnt trim that part at all. Should I leave that fat in like him?

The fat between the point and the flat is called the deckle. IMO, any hard fat like that doesn't add a lot of flavor and can kind of turn into a gelatinous mess if not trimmed.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

The fat between the point and the flat is called the deckle. IMO, any hard fat like that doesn't add a lot of flavor and can kind of turn into a gelatinous mess if not trimmed.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

Yeah, I always remove as much of that as possible. Yuk

This guy lost me when he injected politics into one of his videos. Wish people would just leave politics out of some things.

You're missing out!

I'm all about keeping politics out of things, but the guy literally just said Biden and tipped his beer. I wouldn't call a 2 second clip out of hours of footage as injecting politics into his videos. I could have told you the guy probably doesn't think my way politically based on his age and geographic location, but I focus on our common ground and love for bbq. The dude can cook.

Hands down my favorite youtube channel. How he cooks is more aligned with how i like to make things and he's entertaining. Curious what episode had the political reference. I agree politics shouldn't be talked about on a bbq youtube I'm just surprised i did not pick up on what he said.

Glad to see his business is growing looking forward to when he can ship chud boxes or i can make time to go get one!

I'm lucky enough to have an HEB down the street that stocks waygu and prime. They always have beef ribs, pork belly and an a great bbq rubs section.

I just moved (2 weeks ago) from North Carolina to Texas. After being on this forum for so long and hearing about the grocery store HEB I had to check it out. Sure as can be Choice, Prime, and Waygu briskets sitting right there in the meat department.

This guy lost me when he injected politics into one of his videos. Wish people would just leave politics out of some things.

Amen brother,when the Turkey Leg and Chalice entered,I left.I cannot erase that diatribe.I know it is Austin but that is BULL$hit.I am sure he is a fine fellow and his tubing is entertaining but when you go there,you burn bridges.

Amen brother,when the Turkey Leg and Chalice entered,I left.I cannot erase that diatribe.I know it is Austin but that is BULL$hit.I am sure he is a fine fellow and his tubing is entertaining but when you go there,you burn bridges.

There is a popular strength coach I follow that broadcasts on Youtube and other media. He frequently goes political when not speaking directly about lifting and I mostly disagree with his views. However, I am there for his advice on strength training and I either tune out or skip ahead when he starts on politics. It would be a shame if I ignored everyone I disagreed with.

I'd like to offer an opinion, but I don't want to get into dutch. Suffice to say I don't support his channel.

Back