MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Catering, Food Handling and Awareness > Catering, Vending and Cooking For The Masses.

Notices

Catering, Vending and Cooking For The Masses. this forum is OnTopic. A resource to help with catering, vending and just cooking for large parties. Topics to include Getting Started, Ethics, Marketing, Catering resources, Formulas and recipes for cooking for large groups.

Old 06-29-2022, 10:09 AM   #1
XDAWG_15
Found some matches.

Name/Nickname : Steven
Default Festivals

Good morning guys! I apologize in advance if this subject has already been discussed. But, I'm thinking about cooking at a local fall festival in October. It's a 3 day event and it usually attracts about 20,000 people over that 3 day weekend. With it being my first time doing anything like this, I'm planning on serving a very limited menu(pulled pork sandwiches, chips and soft drinks). Any ideas as to how to forecast how much product I should plan on cooking for the weekend? I'd much rather sell out of product early than have tons of it left over when Sunday afternoon rolls around. Thank you in advance.
XDAWG_15 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-30-2022, 12:30 PM   #2
kurtsara
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Hey you

Are you smoking fresh everyday?

How many other food vendors are there?

How many other BBQ vendors are there?

Who tells you it attracts 20,000 people?
kurtsara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2022, 09:36 AM   #3
XDAWG_15
Found some matches.

Name/Nickname : Steven

Are you smoking fresh everyday?-Not entirely sure yet whether I'll be cooking fresh every day or not. I'm currently leaning towards cooking a day ahead of time and reheating.

How many other food vendors are there?-I have no idea and didn't ask. But, I've attended the festival the previous two years and I think I saw maybe 15-20 vendors there?

How many other BBQ vendors are there?- Out of that estimated 15-20, I only remember seeing 2-3 BBQ vendors.

Who tells you it attracts 20,000 people?- According to the town's website, the festival attracts 20,000 people. But, after reading a few threads here, cities tend to inflate those attendance numbers.
XDAWG_15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2022, 03:28 PM   #4
kurtsara
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by XDAWG_15 View Post
Are you smoking fresh everyday?-Not entirely sure yet whether I'll be cooking fresh every day or not. I'm currently leaning towards cooking a day ahead of time and reheating.

How many other food vendors are there?-I have no idea and didn't ask. But, I've attended the festival the previous two years and I think I saw maybe 15-20 vendors there?

How many other BBQ vendors are there?- Out of that estimated 15-20, I only remember seeing 2-3 BBQ vendors.

Who tells you it attracts 20,000 people?- According to the town's website, the festival attracts 20,000 people. But, after reading a few threads here, cities tend to inflate those attendance numbers.

Remember, in order to cook ahead that amount of meat you have to be able to properly cool that amount of meat also and store that meat somewhere until the day you use it.
Old 07-18-2022, 07:27 PM   #5
oldgfbbq
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : G-man

There is quite a bit of time between now and October. I would suggest you spend some time on this forum using the search feature and find out how many times this has been discussed.

When you state up front that you have not looked or done any homework, but ask your questions anyway, you are basically telling us that you cannot be bothered with learning or planning and just need step by step instructions to follow.

The smartest thing you said was limiting the menu. By doing so, you should be prepared for extremely fast service. Ie, it takes longer to handle money than the food.

You mentioned it was your first time doing something like this, but did not mention if you are in the food business. If not, then I would focus on getting licensed and see if that is even feasible.

Classic Smoke...."Sauce My Chihuahua"
oldgfbbq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2022, 10:46 PM   #6
cowboyupbbq
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Eric

I know some people like it, but I did festivals for a summer and the majority sucked. Some learnings (beyond the basics of licenses, taxes, insurance, fire extinguishers):

1. How many vendors do they have? Also, how many local groups will be selling cheap food that don’t need to make money? I.e. Boy Scouts, church group, cancer survivor club selling hot dogs for $1.

2. What is your location? If they put you in the back 40, it can impact sales.

3. What if it rains hard and you sell zero?

4. Why do they need another vendor?
Old 07-19-2022, 08:19 PM   #7
kurtsara
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboyupbbq View Post
I know some people like it, but I did festivals for a summer and the majority sucked. Some learnings (beyond the basics of licenses, taxes, insurance, fire extinguishers):

1. How many vendors do they have? Also, how many local groups will be selling cheap food that don’t need to make money? I.e. Boy Scouts, church group, cancer survivor club selling hot dogs for $1.

2. What is your location? If they put you in the back 40, it can impact sales.

3. What if it rains hard and you sell zero?

4. Why do they need another vendor?

We have done festivals for 13 years and love it.