MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Catering, Food Handling and Awareness > Food Handling General Discussion

Notices

Food Handling General Discussion General and open discussion for food handling and safety.

Old 06-15-2011, 12:40 PM   #1
BeerBQue74
Wandering around with a bag of matchlight, looking for a match.

Default storage life of vacuumed sealed meat

Hello,
I had a question about storage life of vacuumed sealed meat. How long would it be safe to use if frozen from the time of purchase?

Thanks,
BeerBQue74 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-16-2012, 02:50 PM   #2
CelticRaven
Knows what a fatty is.

If the vac seal is good and the packaging doesnt have any pinholes it it freezer burn is almost non-existent. Safe? It is kept frozen from time you bought it, I have stuff that I have had frozen for well over a year in vac bags with no issue at all. Found some venison from about two years ago the other day it cooked up fine :)
CelticRaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 03:18 PM   #3
BBQchef33
Grand Poobah and Site Admin

Name/Nickname : Phil

Well sealed, no leaks, fresh frozen and kept below 0*F. Over a year. After that theres claims there may be degradation in flavors, but i never noticed. good sealing is key.

CBJ with a Fuzzy Blue Hat, 18 Foot Competition Trailer, Customized Klose BYC, Custom Built Shirley built to feed our Veterans(A.K.A "Abrams"), 1 Double Barreled Lang 84, 1 Heavily Modified Bionic Bandera, 1 Custom Super Medium Stickburning Spicewine w/stoker, 2 XL BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 2 Pit Barrel Cookers, 3 WSMs, 3 Weber Kettles, an NB Hondo, A Modified Brinkman Horizontal, DCS 48" Grill, a Broilmaster P3, a Blackstone 36 and 17, a covered, pellet pooping FEC100, and our duck died. :(

News Flash:
"A mans worth is judged by the weight of his integrity "

You know your getting older when you choose your cereal for the fiber, not the toy

Smoke on KC.
WWW.BBQ-BRETHREN.COM
BBQchef33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 05:32 PM   #4
Grillman
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerBQue74 View Post
Hello,
I had a question about storage life of vacuumed sealed meat. How long would it be safe to use if frozen from the time of purchase?

Thanks,
Forever.
After it having been frozen for a year, or 5 years, or 20 years....it may not
taste as good as fresh meat, but it will always be safe to eat.
Old 01-16-2012, 05:37 PM   #5
caseydog
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerBQue74 View Post
Hello,

Thanks,
I've gone pretty close to a year with no issues. The only time I ever have a problem is if I don't get the bag well sealed, and air gets in. I have to watch for those, and used them first, so freezer burn doesn't mess them up.

CD
caseydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 06:18 PM   #6
CelticRaven
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQchef33 View Post
Well sealed, no leaks, fresh frozen and kept below 0*F. Over a year. After that theres claims there may be degradation in flavors, but i never noticed. good sealing is key.
Dude I am totally with ya!!! I did a couple venison tenderloins a few years ago, nobody knew the difference between the ones from 3 months ago and two years earlier, and they were not heavily seasoned for the BBQ, they were lightly seasoned braised and sliced rare with a brandy cream sauce over them. o not a lot to mask bad flavor.

But you hit the nail on the head GOOD SEALING IS KEY!!!!!!!
CelticRaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 06:30 PM   #7
Midnight Smoke
somebody shut me the fark up.

A deep freeze helps a lot too, not a ordinary Fridge/Freezer. .

*** Terry ~ aka Pork Smoker ***

** XL-BGE Hatched 06/20/2008 09:42 pm **
* Couple Weber Kettles, CharGriller, UDS *
* Ultra Fast Red Thermapen *
Projects
Kamado Restoration
Bandera Restoration

Midnight Smoke is offline   Reply With Quote