MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Catering, Food Handling and Awareness > Food Handling General Discussion

Notices

Food Handling General Discussion General and open discussion for food handling and safety.

Old 05-20-2011, 08:01 AM   #1
Williefb
Knows what a fatty is.

Default Turning a Whole Hog

I'm planning to cook a hog using a cooker constructed out of concrete blocks.

Based on my search here I understand that there is a lively debate over the safety of cooking a whole hog using galvanized wire fencing.

My question is, if I need to use something other than galvanized material, what is it? I really need something that I can pick up at Lowes or Home Depot that doesn't require fabrication.

The other question is, does the hog even need to be wrapped? Can I just take a cable or something similar and wrap it around the feet and slide him over to one side and roll him over? Will this work or will the hams and shoulders pull loose?

Thanks!

Old 05-20-2011, 08:48 AM   #2
Stoke&Smoke
Babbling Farker

http://cuban-christmas.com/pigroast.html

From page 4 of the link above...
Raśl Musibay: We use poles and mesh from a standard chain link fence.
Glenn Lindgren: We use either ALUMINUM OR ALUMINIZED chain link fabric (aluminum-coated steel mesh) for all surfaces that come in contact with the pig. WE NEVER USE galvanized metal!
Jorge Castillo: We lay the poles, which are galvanized metal since they never come in contact with the pig, across the top of our blocks to get an idea of the correct size. Then we cut two sections of wire mesh to size.
KCBS CJ/TC #17139 Member ILBBQS
Too many cookers to list :crazy:

Last edited by Stoke&Smoke; 05-20-2011 at 11:39 AM..
Stoke&Smoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 07:03 PM   #3
cowgirl
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : jeanie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Williefb View Post
I'm planning to cook a hog using a cooker constructed out of concrete blocks.

Based on my search here I understand that there is a lively debate over the safety of cooking a whole hog using galvanized wire fencing.

My question is, if I need to use something other than galvanized material, what is it? I really need something that I can pick up at Lowes or Home Depot that doesn't require fabrication.

The other question is, does the hog even need to be wrapped? Can I just take a cable or something similar and wrap it around the feet and slide him over to one side and roll him over? Will this work or will the hams and shoulders pull loose?

Thanks!
Willie you can use expanded metal for a grate and use rebar to support it beneath the middle if needed.
The rack in my block pit is expanded metal.. it's heavy duty enough that I don't have to have extra support.

I do not wrap pigs on the block pit. I only turn them one time..half way through the cook. I start them on their backs and turn them onto their belly side half way through the cook. The pig still holds together well at this point. It takes a couple of people (on bigger hogs) on each end, holding the feet, lifting the pig and turning it over.
You can do it the other way too.. cook half way on it's belly and turn the pig onto it's back for the finish but people like to see the pig back side up (looks prettier :))

When the pig is finished it takes at least 4 people to lift it onto a sheet of wrapped plywood or a table. The meat is so tender...

I smoke pigs on my horizontal wood burner up to 75lbs.. pigs on my block pit are up to 175lbs.. anything bigger gets cooked in the underground pit overnight.
Hope you have great luck with it Willie!
The more of them you smoke the easier they are. It's the not knowing on the first one that makes people hesitate to try it.
Good luck.

http://cowgirlscountry.blogspot.com/
cowgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 07:11 PM   #4
gtr

^^^Hey Jeanie - what size is your offset? I'm wondering what size hog I can fit in my Klose - the main chamber is 20" diameter and 50" long. I assume I'd be doing it racer style.
50" Klose BYC, Spitjack XB85, 22.5 WSM, Backwoods Chubby, UDS, WRK, 26" & 22.5" Weber Kettles, Jumbo Joe, WGA, WSJ/MUDS, Kanka Grill, a piece of expanded metal I throw over the fire pit sometimes, Stealthy Black & Vol Orange Thermapens
Displaced East Tennesseean
Proud recipient of a Tick
Former outlaw MOINK baller, now IMBAS Certified, but still lookin' over my shoulder.
"Relax, it's only BBQ." - Bigmista, 2013
"Don't worry about playing a lot of notes. Just find one pretty one." - Miles Davis
WTFWGALD?
gtr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 07:19 PM   #5
cowgirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtr View Post
^^^Hey Jeanie - what size is your offset? I'm wondering what size hog I can fit in my Klose - the main chamber is 20" diameter and 50" long. I assume I'd be doing it racer style.
My offset cooking chamber is 5' and the firebox is 2'. I can't butterfly pigs in it, I have to fold the legs underneath. I know it is at least 20" in diameter..
It's funny...
I will fatten a pig to cook.... process it and place it on the tailgate of the pickup to get it to the smoker. The closer to the smoker I get, the bigger the pig gets. They seem to grow... or the smoker shrinks..
Sometimes I have to whittle off the head and legs and cram the pig in.

Thanks from: --->
Old 05-21-2011, 09:12 AM   #6
Cook
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Jay

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowgirl View Post
I start them on their backs and turn them onto their belly side half way through the cook. The pig still holds together well at this point. It takes a couple of people (on bigger hogs) on each end, holding the feet, lifting the pig and turning it over.
You can do it the other way too.. cook half way on it's belly and turn the pig onto it's back for the finish but people like to see the pig back side up (looks prettier :))
You will find the latter in North Carolina. Starting skin up, finishing skin down. By finishing this way you get nice crispy skin. Plus the meat is facing up...where your guests can serve themselves right there on the pit.
Cook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 08:27 AM   #7
weatherman
Got Wood.

I guess it doesn't matter which side you start it on as long as it gets done. He is right.. in NC we start belly down and then finish with belly up. How hard is it to get the meat out with the belly down? Never done it but willing to try it. I know with the belly up at the end ppl can just walk by and get served and then all you have to do is throw the skin away after it is over. Just curious how it works the other way and how much more work is involved if any? Do you still try to sauce with the belly down and just pouring sauce on the skin? And I know when Lionel B. sees this he will probably laugh. We gotta try this man.
weatherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 03:07 PM   #8
cowgirl

It's easy to get to the meat with the belly down....and the first thing to go is the crisp skin, it seems to be a favorite with my friends.
I oil the skin and most of the time just use kosher salt and cracked black pepper. I like it that way.

I agree, skin side down at the end is great for crisping.. I'm not above using a torch at the last minute too. lol

When I'm short on time or don't have the help to scrape a pig I peel them like a deer

even with skin-on pigs I like to serve them belly down..
I guess my friends like the looks of it better. lol

When it is just a few people, a small pig and cold beer, I just keep paper towels handy for who ever wants one.
When it is a larger crowd and bigger hog, I move it off the pit and closer to the "party" area where the sauces and side dishes are located.
It's hard for some of my guests to reach across the cinderblock pit to get to the pig...so I make it easier for them.

I love block pigs... whether they are cooked up or down, skin-on or peeled.

Thanks from:--->
Old 05-23-2011, 02:37 PM   #9
Cook
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Jay

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowgirl View Post
I love block pigs... whether they are cooked up or down, skin-on or peeled.
Cook is offline   Reply With Quote