• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Just Scored a WSM 22.5 for $160! What to mod first???

AKMIMNAK

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
I constantly scan facebook in my area for Webers, smokers, etc. If it's a nice piece and good price, it only lasts a few hours usually. Learned this the hard way on a beautiful red Weber Performer a few weeks back.

Tonight I saw a real nice WSM 22.5 for $200. Offered $150 and immediate pickup. He countered at $160. I shook on it. :clap2:

Drove 40 minutes to his place, and she was as clean as the pictures suggested. Less than 10 cooks on er. And man, these WSMs are bigger than they look! Wow, this thing has some capacity.

I've smoked plenty on my Weber grill, but this'll be my first row with a WSM. Where should I start with mods???

Thanks for your input!

Last edited:
I have prolly all mods avail on mine...the first I would do is the hinge kit from cajun bandit... then would be kandles on the body to help with lifting ... and another for me was adding casters on it.

Nice catch on the WSM, if it was me I'd want to learn how to use it before I go changing it. But if you must, I'd buy another charcoal grate and place it perpendicular to the one thats in there to prevent coals from falling through. Next, I'd make sure I have a good digital thermometer that can monitor temps at grate level, then......I'd buy a couple pork butts and fire that mother up and learn how to control the temps and have some pulled pork.

Nice score. I got mine in the same manner. Craigslist find. 3 cooks on it. Picked it up for $120. It’s a great cooker. I haven’t done any mods yet just learning the basics before I go messing with it. I’ve got it pretty well dialed in now. Did a few racks of ribs right off the bat since they are a shorter cook. Learned how she liked to run before a long cook. Just did my first long brisket cook on it and it ran great. It was an 11 hr cook so after I pulled it I just let it run to see how long a full basket would go. It ran at 230-250 for the next 5 hours until it started losing temp. All in all it ran for about 17 hrs at Cook temps. Next day the ash pile was still hot because I didn’t close the vents. Great cooker. You’re going to love it.

I sealed mine with lava lock gasket. I did the door, the joint between the bottom and the middle, and the joint between the middle and the lid. It has almost no leaks now. The door is probably the most important thing. It is pretty ill-fitting.

It'll probably cook fine without sealing anything; you just compensate by closing the intake vents a little more than you would if it was sealed. But I think you'll have problems saving charcoal from one cook to the next if it isn't sealed.

I sealed mine with lava lock gasket. I did the door, the joint between the bottom and the middle, and the joint between the middle and the lid. It has almost no leaks now. The door is probably the most important thing. It is pretty ill-fitting.

It'll probably cook fine without sealing anything; you just compensate by closing the intake vents a little more than you would if it was sealed. But I think you'll have problems saving charcoal from one cook to the next if it isn't sealed.

I don't get the focus on sealing these up, maybe mine don't leak as much? :boxing:

Consider adding three bolts midway between upper and lower rack so you can smoke 50% more ribs or briskets laying flat.

I ran a small bead of high temperature silicone sealer around the grooves in the joints for a better seal. (An alternative to the gasket.)

Remember to turn the middle section upside down when not using so rain doesn't pool in the bottom. I drilled a couple small holes to drain the bottom for when I forget to remember this.

Nice catch on the WSM, if it was me I'd want to learn how to use it before I go changing it. But if you must, I'd buy another charcoal grate and place it perpendicular to the one thats in there to prevent coals from falling through. Next, I'd make sure I have a good digital thermometer that can monitor temps at grate level, then......I'd buy a couple pork butts and fire that mother up and learn how to control the temps and have some pulled pork.

Couldn't have said it better myself!

Have had mine about 4 years I guess. No mods so far. Did get a digital thermo to monitor top grate temp level.

That suggestion about a second charcoal grate is spot on, I have been meaning to do that.

Just use it for a while and determine if you really want or need to change anything. It kicks a** bone stock.

Has the silicon temperature port on the side too (I installed one of these on the side of my stick burner).That price is a steal. Great find.
Check Cajun Bandit for a stainless door.

Great score.
Fire it up first and see where the leaks are, then go from there.
Happy smoking.

Remember to turn the middle section upside down when not using so rain doesn't pool in the bottom. I drilled a couple small holes to drain the bottom for when I forget to remember this.

This is farking brilliant!

I don't get the focus on sealing these up, maybe mine don't leak as much? :boxing:

Before I got the WSM, I did all my smoking on a very leaky COS. I was determined that I was finally going to be able to have complete control over the fire using the air intake and exhaust!

I have a WSM and mine doesn’t leak either...I’ve never bothered with a gasket or anything. Usually all the vents are set to about half open. Not s single problem....

I have prolly all mods avail on mine...the first I would do is the hinge kit from cajun bandit... then would be kandles on the body to help with lifting ... and another for me was adding casters on it.

What size casters did you use? Did you just drill the feet and bolt on?

Nice score. I got mine in the same manner. Craigslist find. 3 cooks on it. Picked it up for $120. It’s a great cooker. I haven’t done any mods yet just learning the basics before I go messing with it. I’ve got it pretty well dialed in now. Did a few racks of ribs right off the bat since they are a shorter cook. Learned how she liked to run before a long cook. Just did my first long brisket cook on it and it ran great. It was an 11 hr cook so after I pulled it I just let it run to see how long a full basket would go. It ran at 230-250 for the next 5 hours until it started losing temp. All in all it ran for about 17 hrs at Cook temps. Next day the ash pile was still hot because I didn’t close the vents. Great cooker. You’re going to love it.

How'd you set it up for that long brisket cook? Minion? How much unlit vs lit charcoal? Vent setup? I'm all ears to learn from you :)

Back