MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 05-10-2019, 01:08 PM   #9601
BigKing
Full Fledged Farker

I've been using the ThermoPop. It is my first thermometer and it is still going strong.

I'm not sure why being a couple seconds faster or maybe +/- 5 degrees more accurate is worth $75 more.

I'm just a lazy PBC user that doesn't even run probes and just goes by look, time and then the Pop reading.

Old 05-10-2019, 04:16 PM   #9602
Smokey Lonesome
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacksmith View Post
I tested mine and found it was off so I called them and they told me it could not be calibrated. I asked about a replacement and was told +/- 5 degrees was close enough.

While I do not disagree, +/- 5 is close enough - I believed $100 was supposed to buy a fast and accurate device.
Vince, I just received my Thermapen back from service. In the package was a Service Record showing test results at 32 and 212 degrees F and the instrument indication was the same. There was an *:

"The Thermapen has a tolerance of +/- 0.7 degrees F. Within that range the unit is operating normally and no adjustment is needed.

This Thermapen has been checked against reference instruments that are traceable to NIST.
"

Not saying they didn't tell you differently but this is the documentation I received.

Love my PBC too!!

Bill

[I]The secret of success is to do the common things uncommonly well.[/I] [SIZE=1][B][I]- John D. Rockefeller[/I][/B][/SIZE]
Smokey Lonesome is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-10-2019, 08:15 PM   #9603
pharp
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacksmith View Post
At the risk of being branded a heretic, my personal opinion on the Thermapen is that it is an overpriced under performer.

I tested mine and found it was off so I called them and they told me it could not be calibrated. I asked about a replacement and was told +/- 5 degrees was close enough.

While I do not disagree, +/- 5 is close enough - I believed $100 was supposed to buy a fast and accurate device.

I researched a little and the $22 "CDN ProAccurate Quick Read Thermometer" was fast, accurate, feature rich and could be calibrated. I have given them as gifts and no one has been disappointed.
I think you should call them back. Sounds like you had a new person. They can be calibrated and they are very proud of their +/- .7 degree accuracy.
pharp is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-11-2019, 11:05 AM   #9604
blacksmith
Got Wood.

Name/Nickname : Vince

Quote:
Originally Posted by pharp View Post
I think you should call them back. Sounds like you had a new person.
My daughter in law and her father are die-hard Thermapen groupies. It lives with her now.

If I have to chase a company, dog them to get it right, I am disinclined to do so; I will go to the mat on some issues, but an over priced thermometer is not one of them.

They say you get what you pay for, which is true, even if you don't realize you are just buying the hype. The company marketing crew created a brand-buzz mystique; smitten, starry eyed, I naively bit the hook and my education cost me $100.

I posted this dissenting view in case anyone is searching the forums for recommendations or critique.

Reminds me of one of the Stone's songs:
When I'm watching my TV
And a man comes on and tells me
How white my shirts can be
Well he can't be a man cause he doesn't smoke
The same cigarettes as me
I can't get no satisfaction
If you love your pen, I have no quibbles with your choice. My $22 units are perfect.
I got mo satisfaction. Hey, hey, hey, that's what I say. :)

Old 05-11-2019, 08:14 PM   #9605
TealStBBQKing
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Jeff

Made NY strips tonight, oh my God this is only like the third time I've grilled on the PBC but the steak turn out perfect http://i.imgur.com/Dl4hJGQ.jpg

Last edited by TealStBBQKing; 05-11-2019 at 08:19 PM..
TealStBBQKing is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-12-2019, 06:43 AM   #9606
TealStBBQKing
Full Fledged Farker

Made NY strips tonight, oh my God this is only like the third time I've grilled on the PBC but the steak turn out perfect m.imgur.com/a/tkCpv8P

Last edited by TealStBBQKing; 05-12-2019 at 06:57 AM..
TealStBBQKing is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-12-2019, 05:52 PM   #9607
TealStBBQKing
Full Fledged Farker

Apologies for the multiple posts but I really want to post this picture, hopefully a mod can delete the other posts I can't figure out how to if I can NY strips grilled

Thanks from:--->
Old 05-14-2019, 01:26 PM   #9608
NKSmoke
Knows what a fatty is.

So I installed lava gasket on the lid of my PBC over the weekend and it made a huge difference I my temps!
Once it settled in it ran about 260 or so which was much better than the inconsistent 300 to 400 and having to wrap or unwrap foil around the rebar holes trying to keep the temps from soaring. I must have a warped lid but it was hard to tell. Anyway it worked for me! I took my pork butt off after 10 hours and still the PBC was still maintaining temps around 260 without adding charcoal.

Thanks from: --->
Old 05-14-2019, 09:41 PM   #9609
hs106
Got Wood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TealStBBQKing View Post
Apologies for the multiple posts but I really want to post this picture, hopefully a mod can delete the other posts I can't figure out how to if I can NY strips grilled

You got that sear from the standard grill height and a rip roaring fire?
hs106 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-14-2019, 10:25 PM   #9610
SouthernSmokeRings
Knows what a fatty is.

Can you post an amazon link to what you bought. I think I need to do the same thing.
SouthernSmokeRings is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-15-2019, 05:51 AM   #9611
TealStBBQKing
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by hs106 View Post
You got that sear from the standard grill height and a rip roaring fire?

Yup! I lit a full PBC charcoal chimney let it go for 20 minutes, dumped it and added another full chimney. Then I let that go for 20 minutes with the lid on but offset after that I threw in some big wood chunks and started grilling. This was the 2nd or 3rd time grilling on my PBC but I think first time following their instructions to set it for grilling. I love it I get mcuh better results than when I use my in-laws kettle at their camp. Not knocking the kettle but I think the PBC is just so perfect for more novice cooks

Old 05-15-2019, 11:47 AM   #9612
Bacchus2b
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by TealStBBQKing View Post
Yup! I lit a full PBC charcoal chimney let it go for 20 minutes, dumped it and added another full chimney. Then I let that go for 20 minutes with the lid on but offset after that I threw in some big wood chunks and started grilling. This was the 2nd or 3rd time grilling on my PBC but I think first time following their instructions to set it for grilling. I love it I get mcuh better results than when I use my in-laws kettle at their camp. Not knocking the kettle but I think the PBC is just so perfect for more novice cooks
One unfortunate side effect of too much heat in the PBC is your charcoal basket grates will start to sag or bend. If you use the ash pan the sagging can cause air flow issues keeping your temps down. You can carefully bend your basket grates back a couple of times before they break and then you need another basket. (I know this from experience!).

I also tried moving the Charcoal basket up closer to the grate for grilling and ended up discoloring the Pit Barrel emblem on the outside.

Now I just use my grills for grilling and my PBC for smoking.
Cookshack FEC-100
Weber Summit 420 Gasser
Pit Barrel Cooker
Weber 26" Kettle
PK Classic Grill
Bacchus2b is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 05-15-2019, 02:04 PM   #9613
rehless
Full Fledged Farker

Not to hijack the thread...but I have an original PBC. Love it...but three times I have had pork ribs fall in to the charcoal basket. Not on a long cook, had it happen Mother's Day at 2 hours in. Talked to PBC and they say monitor the temps, seem to think over cooking. Not so. Perhaps using less than a full charcoal basket. Also considering cutting rib racks in half before hanging. Thanks, all.
rehless is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-15-2019, 02:18 PM   #9614
BigKing
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by rehless View Post
Not to hijack the thread...but I have an original PBC. Love it...but three times I have had pork ribs fall in to the charcoal basket. Not on a long cook, had it happen Mother's Day at 2 hours in. Talked to PBC and they say monitor the temps, seem to think over cooking. Not so. Perhaps using less than a full charcoal basket. Also considering cutting rib racks in half before hanging. Thanks, all.

That's pretty wild that they would fall off after only two hours unless you are hooking them incorrectly, i.e. only one bone down or something. Doubt you are doing that since the ribs would probably be sitting in the charcoal at that length.

I've had them fall a few times but it was always from overcooking. I know a brisket is "stronger", but that's crazy that you can hang a 15#+ brisket with no problem but a rack of ribs is falling after only two hours.

Old 05-15-2019, 05:49 PM   #9615
mike243
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Mike

Thinking of building 1 and plan on shelfs,plan on making a chute to add charcoal or a lump of wood, also a water pan than can be used if wanted or needed , still in the planning stage

Tags
hanging meat, Hooking meat, Noah Glanville, PBC, PBJ, pit barrel cooker, pit barrel junior, pork butt, set it and forget it