MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 04-17-2019, 04:00 PM   #1
TxQGuy
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Big C
Default Grill recommendations?

Hey y'all!

For the past decade plus, I have done all of my grilling on an Old Smokey (the Jumbo 22”). It’s simple, reliable, and has never let me down. I vertical grilled two HOSS chickens last weekend and still had enough room on there to direct grill a dozen burger patties and some sausage. I’ve done a whole rack of spares and eight strip steaks at once! Three packs of hot dogs and a bunch of fajitas? No prob! Matter of fact, I see no reason why a man would need anything more than this rugged, bare-bones, $75 workhorse of a grill. Yup. No reason to spend any more money or add another grill to the collection. That wouldn’t be practical. Or necessary.

Just kidding! I wouldn’t be posting here with all of y'all if I didn’t want some serious enabling.

That said, what are some good recommendations for a grill? I’m not looking to spend too too much, maybe a couple hundred at most (even that might get me the hairy eyeball from my better half ). My preferences are as follows:

1) Large cooking surface (both wide as well as tall…I love vertical roasting whole chickens). I believe the Smokey is 21”, so I’ll set that as the minimum diameter.
2) Charcoal/wood only…no propane. No disrespect to Mr. Hank Hill intended.
3) Durable
4) Cook area can accommodate a good sized coal bed. My favorite way of grilling is to build a big ol’ bed of lump mixed with plenty of mesquite chunks.

I have to admit, typing this out makes me feel guilty. Like I’m cheating on my Old Smokey. I half expect to be woken up in the middle of the night tonight to my beloved stubby silver grill with tears running down it’s tarnished greasy sides, holding up my phone with one handle and asking me “Who the &^$%@ is Weber?”
TxQGuy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-17-2019, 05:14 PM   #2
BKING!
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Brent

For a budget of a couple hundred I’d either build a drum or get a wsm or a kettle. You can grill and smoke on all three of these. Or you could look for a used grill Craig’s list or something

Old 04-17-2019, 05:26 PM   #3
SmittyJonz
somebody shut me the fark up.

Triple your budget and get an assassin grill ......

Thanks from:--->
Old 04-17-2019, 05:27 PM   #4
SmittyJonz

Or an old country cantina XL grill at Academy for $399

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DM3_YLXShWA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QFGMZOFj2UY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_gkHKD0WRw0

Last edited by SmittyJonz; 04-17-2019 at 05:35 PM..
SmittyJonz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-17-2019, 05:35 PM   #5
SmittyJonz

HEB Has a cheap ass basic barrel grill made out of a drum for $89
Doesn’t come with a charcoal grate in the bottom - I would add one - you can make good food on these things but they only last maybe 2 -3 years

https://www.heb.com/product-detail/a...rel-grill/6330

Last edited by SmittyJonz; 04-17-2019 at 05:47 PM..
SmittyJonz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-17-2019, 05:40 PM   #6
TxQGuy
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BKING! View Post
For a budget of a couple hundred I’d either build a drum or get a wsm or a kettle. You can grill and smoke on all three of these. Or you could look for a used grill Craig’s list or something

It's hard to tell from their website...do you figure a kettle would fit an upright chicken with the lid closed? I can't really eyeball it from the pictures.

Old 04-17-2019, 05:43 PM   #7
TxQGuy
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmittyJonz View Post

Oh man!! Those are purdy! I've always like their offsets but never really checked out their grills.

Old 04-17-2019, 05:48 PM   #8
EyeBurnEverything
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Candice

I have a Trail Embers 3 in 1 i got for $100 at TSC, it works great in the summer, not so much in the freezing winters, but i doubt a WSM would work any better here. $100 vs $400 is kinda a no brainer. Also has really thick Stainless Steel doors ( two instead of one on the WSM) great for stoking coals on the bottom door and tending to the water pan or middle grate on the top door.

Old 04-17-2019, 05:50 PM   #9
SmittyJonz

I do not remember if the Cantina Grill has a charcoal grate in the bottom - I would add one if not - grills will last longer keeping the coals n the fire off the metal directly. Of course the number one thing is to clean the ash out after a cook so that it doesn’t suck moisture out of the air/ mix with rain water and rot out your cooker......

Old 04-17-2019, 05:57 PM   #10
SmittyJonz

Then there’s this: https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/s...d.php?t=269719

Although it’s pretty light gauge (like 18 gauge maybe 16) they should’ve built it out of 14 gauge - the charcoal tray is a little flimsy and jicky.........

Old 04-17-2019, 06:04 PM   #11
SmokyDick
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Rich

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxQGuy View Post
It's hard to tell from their website...do you figure a kettle would fit an upright chicken with the lid closed? I can't really eyeball it from the pictures.

Get a vortex with the kettle and put the chicken on the charcoal rack surrounded by coals.
SmokyDick is offline   Reply With Quote