MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 06-26-2007, 08:11 PM   #1
smooookin
is One Chatty Farker

Default Building Smokezilla, how thick is too thick?

I have access to some old casing, this stuff is 24 in diameter and darn close to ½ inch thick! I am figuring once you get it to temp you could maintain it with a bic lighter.

The plans in my head call for a four foot cooking chamber and a 2 ft fire box. My original Idea to pipe the heat/smoke via a piece of box channel with a series of holes going from smaller to larger as the distance increases from the firebox. Obviously I will need a counter weight system for the single door, a trailer and maybe a ¾ ton to pull it. LOL

So, is ½ in too thick? The smaller thickness is smaller diameter so it wont work. oh yeah i forgot to mention i can get it for 25 or 30 dollars a foot. i haven bought steel like this but i am thinking it is a good price even after i sand blast it. thoughts?
smooookin is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-26-2007, 08:15 PM   #2
Yakfishingfool
Babbling Farker

My only thought would be th eamount of energy needed to heat it up. f it's significant, you may take too long to get it to temp. also consider that once at "A" temp, it may be difficult getting the mass to a different temp. Scott
1 Weber performer, 1 Smokey Joe Platinum
1 XL Big Green Egg
1 FEC 100
Team BBQ-Brethren.com
KCBS Certified Judge #9079
Yakfishingfool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-26-2007, 08:16 PM   #3
QansasjayhawQ
is One Chatty Farker

Is that 24" inside or outside diameter?
http://www.moocowbbq.com/
Two Weber 22.5" kettles One Brinkmann Smoke'N PitMaster Deluxe One LARGE WSM! (special black glossy finish) w/Stoker! WooHoo! KCBS Member/KCBS Master CBJ #24295
Sweaty, smokey and enjoying every minute.
QansasjayhawQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-26-2007, 08:32 PM   #4
smooookin
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by QansasjayhawQ View Post

i believe it is inside diameter.

good point Scott!

anyone else wanna chime in?

Old 06-26-2007, 08:54 PM   #5
gunrunner2491
On the road to being a farker

Smoookin, I have 20" casing 4' long, 1/2" thickness with a 2' fire box, 1/2" thick also, the pit without the trailer weighs about 750 Lbs. estimated. The door is manageable, but I have plans to put a counter weight. As for cooking I put about 10 Lbs. of charcoal in the fire box. It takes almost thirty to forty minutes for it to come up to temp, but after it does I feed it 1 log about every 45 minutes to an hour I have no problem. What I have found through experience is once it is up to temp I have no real trouble staying at about 250. The only time I get extreme fluctuation in temp is when I neglect to take the ashes out from under the fire. The pit smokes great occasionally if I'm smoking I will use a water bath and it helps keep an even temp through the pit, but if I am cooking various meats such as chicken I keep them closer to the fire box end . Sausages and things of that nature I keep them on my second rack and it works just fine. I have been looking through different threads, and I am going to invest in a charcoal box I think it will be a nice accessory to the pit, and I am interested to see if I can get longer burns at the same temp. I hope this information helps.
gunrunner2491 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-26-2007, 09:00 PM   #6
smooookin
is One Chatty Farker

thanks for the info Gun! i think we are gonna give it a go. my wife thinks i am nuts but she says "whatever ya want" and shakes her head and laughs.

Old 06-26-2007, 09:26 PM   #7
gunrunner2491

In my pit I have put 5 briskets on the bottom shelf and 3 briskets on the top shelf, and it worked out fine. I think you'll be happy with the build. I am still working on mine it is a work in progress. I am sending the pit to the welder in about a week, when I can get some time off work. He is going to widen the frame to my trailer and move the pit over to the left side to give me room for the wood box. I still need to add the shelf in front of the pit and add the burners and the frame for my ice chest and water can, and my propane tank I also need to buy 2 4X8 sheets of sheet metal 1/4" thick. It might be overkill but I want a sturdy floor for the trailer and everything I am going to put on it. also use a weed burner to light my fires that's a big help. I figure I have about another $1500.00 until I complete my project. When it's completed I will post pics, I am a little embarrassed to post a pic of it now because it is just the frame and the pit. I know some of these guys here play with the big boys and I wouldn't want to take a knife to a gun fight.

Old 06-26-2007, 09:47 PM   #8
Meat Burner
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Gun, sounds like you have a great plan. Keep us posed, with pics, of this build. OBTW, 99% of the time, give me the knife!

NB Bandera with mods
Weber 22 .5" x 2, 26.75" x 1
UDS x 3
KCBS CBJ
Created "The Great Spam Revelation of 2011."
www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=111155
Meat Burner is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-26-2007, 10:03 PM   #9
gunrunner2491

Point taken Meat burner. No pun intended.

Old 06-26-2007, 10:27 PM   #10
thirdeye
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smooookin View Post
I have access to some old casing, this stuff is 24 in diameter and darn close to ½ inch thick! I am figuring once you get it to temp you could maintain it with a bic lighter.

The plans in my head call for a four foot cooking chamber and a 2 ft fire box. My original Idea to pipe the heat/smoke via a piece of box channel with a series of holes going from smaller to larger as the distance increases from the firebox. Obviously I will need a counter weight system for the single door, a trailer and maybe a ¾ ton to pull it. LOL

So, is ½ in too thick? The smaller thickness is smaller diameter so it wont work. oh yeah i forgot to mention i can get it for 25 or 30 dollars a foot. i haven bought steel like this but i am thinking it is a good price even after i sand blast it. thoughts?
24" X .500 wall pipe is 125 pounds/foot, if that makes any difference in your plans. I've seen plenty of oil field cookers made with pipe that heavy and they are nice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by QansasjayhawQ View Post
Typically pipe up to and including 12", the size represents the ID. 14" and larger, the size represents the OD. So 24" pipe would have an ID of 23".

Barbecuist ~ Charcuterist ~ KCBS Master Judge & CTC
Big Green Eggs, Big Drum Smokers, Big Chiefs, Weber Smokey Joe "Custom Tall Boy"
Oil Patch Horizontal, SnS Deluxe Kettle

Visit my Cookin' Site by clicking HERE
Barbecue is not rocket surgery
“The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it's hard to verify their authenticity” ~ Abraham Lincoln
thirdeye is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-27-2007, 06:44 AM   #11
parrothead
somebody shut me the fark up.

You could plumb it with gas to get it up to temp faster. Then go to your charcoal and/or wood. This would also be good for after everything gets it's smoke and you have nothing in there but foil wrapped stuff.

American Picker Blog
parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-27-2007, 09:36 AM   #12
fivelombardis
is one Smokin' Farker

do it...we bought my Dad one for father's day years ago and once those suckers are up to temp, it takes an idiot to mess up a piece of meat!!
Lone Star Grillz 36" Fire Pit
Pit Boss PBV6 PSE at our second home
36" Blackstone Griddle
fivelombardis is offline   Reply With Quote