MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 05-25-2010, 05:23 PM   #1
landarc
somebody shut me the fark up.

Default Cross Rib Roast - ideas?

I have a cross rib roast in the fridge. It is not the normal folded and tied version, this is a natural cut, gristle removed, grass fed and finished cross rib cut. It has been rubbed and is sitting in a Ziploc waiting for it's day. I was thinking it could become sort of a faux pit beef thing. Then I thought inject it and cook it low and slow for a while (to 135F internal) and see where it goes.

What say the Brethren, what would be an interesting way to cook this thing?

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-25-2010, 08:07 PM   #2
Derek
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by landarc View Post
I have a cross rib roast in the fridge. It is not the normal folded and tied version, this is a natural cut, gristle removed, grass fed and finished cross rib cut. It has been rubbed and is sitting in a Ziploc waiting for it's day. I was thinking it could become sort of a faux pit beef thing. Then I thought inject it and cook it low and slow for a while (to 135F internal) and see where it goes.

What say the Brethren, what would be an interesting way to cook this thing?
What about smoking it, shred it, then make some kind of chili out of it Landarc?
The Cajun Bandit.
Derek is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 05-25-2010, 11:11 PM   #3
JiveTurkey
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : JT

I've never seen a natural cut. I always get the tied roast and cook it either in the oven or on the weber indirect until medium rare. Mashed taters and gravy with corn on the cob does it for me.

If you're still stumped send it down 880 and I'll cook it up for you!
JiveTurkey is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-25-2010, 11:19 PM   #4
SmokinAussie

Location: Gold Coast, Queensland! (Finally Escaped Melbourne)
Name/Nickname : Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by landarc View Post
I have a cross rib roast in the fridge.
What did you do to make it cross... poke it????
SmokinAussie is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-26-2010, 02:10 AM   #5
SmokeJumper
is One Chatty Farker

I think pit beef style is a great way to go with such a tough cookie. Best to pull it rare or medium rare - 130 internal or so. For some variation, you can add some mushrooms, onions, carrots, beef stock, balsamic, and seasoning to the drippings to make a great dip. Last time we did this, we thin sliced the beef, stacked it on kaiser rolls, topped with lemon horseradish sauce (fresh HR of course) and made the whole thing completely swim in the dip along with some smashed red potatoes. Sink or Swim Pit Beef with a Kick.

You could also fast sear the clod at a very high temp to carmelize and add some smoke and then drop it into a claypot or dutch oven on the kettle with braising liquids and mirepoix and slow braise it like a roast. Try adding parsnips for a nice fresh bite.

Last edited by SmokeJumper; 05-26-2010 at 02:40 AM..
SmokeJumper is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-26-2010, 03:02 AM   #6
SmokeJumper
is One Chatty Farker

OK, I'm not tired yet so one more idea which features Belgian beer and seasonal sweet onions. Like the pot roast idea, quick sear seasoned beef over hot coals to develop some flavor, and then drop into claypot or dutch oven on the kettle and add 2 or 3 thin sliced sweet onions (Sweet Imperial, Vadalia, Walla Walla, Maui Sweets etc.), a clove or two of garlic, a couple of cups of dark belgian beer, a couple of cups of chicken or beef broth, some fresh herbs like thyme and bay and a dash of balsamic to balance the sweetness of the onions. Cook until spork tender and serve on egg noodles with more of that good beer. Cross Rib Roast Carbonnade and Belgian Beer is just the ticket to keep you warm on happy on these cold rainy days.
SmokeJumper is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-26-2010, 01:50 PM   #7
landarc

I do not have a spork. Now sure what a 'spork' is. I think I will do it pit beef style, that sounds good and was sort of the original plan, I did not plan on horseradish though. And I am not sending it south on 880, I don't think it will make it back.

Derek I could have done a shredded thing, but, I just got done working through a pot of brisket chili and am over shredded beef chili for a while. Plus, a cross rib is sort of lean for pulling.

Bill...Bill, Bill, Bill...

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cross rib, inject?