Help me decide on offset

gmcole

Reaction score
I'm getting ready to pull the trigger on an EOS. Can't decide...
I have several smokers but have never had an offset. This will be rolled in and out of my walk out basement garage.

Austin Smoke Works Backyard - 120 gallon tank, insulated Firebox, Reducer/not collector. https://www.facebook.com/photo/?fbid=4953591221342442&set=pcb.1245441642601697

Harper Pit Works- 120 gallon tank, insulated firebox, reducer. https://harperpitworks.com/shop/120-gallon-offset-smoker

Smoke North- 94 gallon pipe (not rounded like a tank), semi- insulated, collector. Very similar to Millscale. https://smokenorth.com/products/the-huron?variant=40864511262894

MillScale 94- 94 gallon pipe, non insulated with collector. https://millscale.co/collections/cookers/products/94-gallon

I like the idea of an insulated firebox for many reasons but worry about maintaining temps/good convection while maintaining a good coal bed as splits will likely be pretty small.

This is a wife endorsed present to myself. I am not looking to find something 90% as good for less etc.

Thoughts welcome!

Jeff in Ohio

Last edited:
Not a fan of the workhorse? Not insulated but 3/8” steel. My fatstack has an insulated bottom on the firebox but especially long wait on those.

I actually think smoke north makes the best looking pits on the market.

Last edited:
Not a fan of the workhorse? Not insulated but 3/8” steel. My fatstack has an insulated bottom on the firebox but especially long wait on those.

It’s not that I’m not a fan of Workhorse. Workhorse has a longer wait than any of the 4 I mentioned. I’m probably leaning towards the Harper. I like the tank style the best. Unless someone talks me out of it, I really think I should go for an insulated firebox for safety, appearance/maintenance reasons.

If you have the budget for a Millscale, the world is your oyster. You won't go wrong with any of those.

All 4 mentioned are about the same $. Millscale and Smoke North look to be very high quality but are the least customizable. I would prefer a folding stack and golf cart wheels.

It’s not that I’m not a fan of Workhorse. Workhorse has a longer wait than any of the 4 I mentioned. I’m probably leaning towards the Harper. I like the tank style the best. Unless someone talks me out of it, I really think I should go for an insulated firebox for safety, appearance/maintenance reasons.

Ya tank style is awesome. I have one but I haven’t gotten to cook on it yet but that’s coming this weekend and I’m sure it’ll be amazing!

The workhorse 1975 is also awesome. Went to mad scientist bbq’s class a couple weeks ago and one other guy and myself spent a bunch of time cooking beef ribs on one. That thing is an absolute dream. I’m sure they’re all great!

I would do Austin Smokeworks and not look back .

And I own a Franklin. I wish the ASW had been available when I bought the Franklin, though I'm very happy with the Franklin.

I would do Austin Smokeworks and not look back .

And I own a Franklin. I wish the ASW had been available when I bought the Franklin, though I'm very happy with the Franklin.

For what reason(s) would you choose the ASW over the others. if you don’t mind be asking?

I think those and Phil’s backyard model are nice!. I talked to Phil and strongly considered those.

There are so many factors at play and yet as someone else said, you can't go wrong with any of the four you have focused upon.
For example, only one of the smokers of the four listed the thickness of steel used and the one that did listed only 1/4" for the firebox. That is not adequate in my book. The heat generated in the firebox of a stick burner is very hard on the steel.
None of the four you have zeroed in on feature larger wheels for maneuvering. Even if you think you will not be moving your smoker much, you might be amazed at the times you want to move it even a few feet-for example to clean under the smoker.
I am not a fan of expanded steel shelves in front of the smoker. I much prefer a solid stainless steel shelf. Why? Well in real use, particularly with ribs, brisket, and even pork shoulder, each time you take the piece of meat out to wrap or pull a shelf out to rotate or flip the meat juices and grease drop. Where does it drop with expanded steel? Right to the patio or surface your smoker is on. With a solid SS shelf it drips on the shelf and with one or two wipes with a kitchen towel the mess is gone.
You have to live with your smoker. Sharp edges that snag your limbs or clothing as you work, ugly welds, the littlest overlooked things can (might) get on your nerves. I see some potential lack to detail in each of your four choices. Some builders round off/grind down every edge and corner, use SS spring insulators on every control that tends to get hot or slippery, they just devote time to the devils in the details. Most do not.
All of your choices feature vertical doors without counterweights. This is a convenience for the builder, not the user. A good smoke does not involve lots of opening/closing of the cook chamber but you will be amazed how tiresome it can be to lift those heavy doors. A smoker with doors that open from the side is worthy of consideration.
I am two hours south of you in Columbus. We get it all in terms of weather (quite the wet Spring huh?). You don't need an insulated firebox. You need a well-designed smoker of thick steel that will withstand the elements and can be easily touched up when needed due to rust/corrosion.
Some manufacturers are not partnered with a great and fairly priced delivery service. You are on your own and you may find the delivery experience to be a nightmare. Financially, damage-wise, you name it.
Lastly, I would not purchase due to how a smoker looks. Purchase based upon customer satisfaction. There is a very good reason why certain brands develop cult-like fan bases.
In case you are wondering, I have a Shirley Fab. The attention to detail in every respect is just above and beyond. My smoker weighs 150 lbs more than the single smoker you list that even cares to give a weight, and it is slightly smaller.

There are so many factors at play and yet as someone else said, you can't go wrong with any of the four you have focused upon.
For example, only one of the smokers of the four listed the thickness of steel used and the one that did listed only 1/4" for the firebox. That is not adequate in my book. The heat generated in the firebox of a stick burner is very hard on the steel.
None of the four you have zeroed in on feature larger wheels for maneuvering. Even if you think you will not be moving your smoker much, you might be amazed at the times you want to move it even a few feet-for example to clean under the smoker.
I am not a fan of expanded steel shelves in front of the smoker. I much prefer a solid stainless steel shelf. Why? Well in real use, particularly with ribs, brisket, and even pork shoulder, each time you take the piece of meat out to wrap or pull a shelf out to rotate or flip the meat juices and grease drop. Where does it drop with expanded steel? Right to the patio or surface your smoker is on. With a solid SS shelf it drips on the shelf and with one or two wipes with a kitchen towel the mess is gone.
You have to live with your smoker. Sharp edges that snag your limbs or clothing as you work, ugly welds, the littlest overlooked things can (might) get on your nerves. I see some potential lack to detail in each of your four choices. Some builders round off/grind down every edge and corner, use SS spring insulators on every control that tends to get hot or slippery, they just devote time to the devils in the details. Most do not.
All of your choices feature vertical doors without counterweights. This is a convenience for the builder, not the user. A good smoke does not involve lots of opening/closing of the cook chamber but you will be amazed how tiresome it can be to lift those heavy doors. A smoker with doors that open from the side is worthy of consideration.
I am two hours south of you in Columbus. We get it all in terms of weather (quite the wet Spring huh?). You don't need an insulated firebox. You need a well-designed smoker of thick steel that will withstand the elements and can be easily touched up when needed due to rust/corrosion.
Some manufacturers are not partnered with a great and fairly priced delivery service. You are on your own and you may find the delivery experience to be a nightmare. Financially, damage-wise, you name it.
Lastly, I would not purchase due to how a smoker looks. Purchase based upon customer satisfaction. There is a very good reason why certain brands develop cult-like fan bases.
In case you are wondering, I have a Shirley Fab. The attention to detail in every respect is just above and beyond. My smoker weighs 150 lbs more than the single smoker you list that even cares to give a weight, and it is slightly smaller.
Thanks for the detailed response. Do you have any recommendations on traditional flow offsets? I will be keeping this inside when not in use. I already have a Hunsaker Drum and Hasty Bake, sold my pellet cooker and gave away my kettle. I want a traditional offset as my next cooker. Workhorse and a few others offer 3/8, many offer double wall insulated Fireboxes or semi insulated Firebox bottoms. The weight of 3/8 in a single door does concern me. Thats one of the reasons I am waffling on a workhorse etc.

Thanks for the detailed response. Do you have any recommendations on traditional flow offsets? I will be keeping this inside when not in use. I already have a Hunsaker Drum and Hasty Bake, sold my pellet cooker and gave away my kettle. I want a traditional offset as my next cooker. Workhorse and a few others offer 3/8, many offer double wall insulated Fireboxes or semi insulated Firebox bottoms. The weight of 3/8 in a single door does concern me. Thats one of the reasons I am waffling on a workhorse etc.

I don't for multiple reasons. First, there are many here who have broader experience with various pit fabricators than I have. Second, it is so personal. I am simply suggesting you take some additional things into account and there are more that I should have mentioned. For example-how easy is the pit to clean-does it have a well thought out system for removing the sludge that won't drain with the ball-cock valve (assuming of course it has at least the drain valve). Personally, any smoker that relies on a sloping plate inside the cook chamber does not appeal to me. Too much of a headache to clean. But that is just me.
You mentioned keeping your smoker inside when not in use. I don't know how far you will have to go from the inside storage to your cooking area but that process will get old in a hurry unless you are talking about something like pulling your smoker from inside your garage to your driveway. And then, if that is what you are thinking, you by necessity become a "driveway cooker". This is individual preference but I enjoy cooking in my backyard, not in my driveway. Point being-you will want larger, pneumatic tires. My set-up is below.

Attachments

• IMG_1673 2.jpg
    IMG_1673 2.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 120
I don't for multiple reasons. First, there are many here who have broader experience with various pit fabricators than I have. Second, it is so personal. I am simply suggesting you take some additional things into account and there are more that I should have mentioned. For example-how easy is the pit to clean-does it have a well thought out system for removing the sludge that won't drain with the ball-cock valve (assuming of course it has at least the drain valve). Personally, any smoker that relies on a sloping plate inside the cook chamber does not appeal to me. Too much of a headache to clean. But that is just me.
You mentioned keeping your smoker inside when not in use. I don't know how far you will have to go from the inside storage to your cooking area but that process will get old in a hurry unless you are talking about something like pulling your smoker from inside your garage to your driveway. And then, if that is what you are thinking, you by necessity become a "driveway cooker". This is individual preference but I enjoy cooking in my backyard, not in my driveway. Point being-you will want larger, pneumatic tires. My set-up is below.

Very nice set-up you have there. Quick question....how long have you had that tv up there exposed somewhat to the elements? Any problems with dampness or cold/hot temps? I always thought you had to build a box for outdoor tvs. Thanks.

Nice set up! I live on the water and have a walk out basement with a large patio. I have a one car garage off the patio. So I will wheel it inside the backyard garage when not in use. My wife likes the backyard tidy and for some reason, she doesn't think 3 cookers look tidy.

For what reason(s) would you choose the ASW over the others. if you don’t mind be asking?

Longer cook chamber and that's the only major reason. IIRC , the ASW has a 60" cook chamber. I think longer, the better. But there's nothing wrong with my Franklin. And also IIRC, the pricing was about the same.

Both Franklin and ASW are designed by someone who smokes barbecue and builds smokers. Not a welder who builds smokers and occasionally smokes meats.

After talking to 2 brethren with them, I ended up ordering a Harper Pit Works 120 with the Golf Cart Wheel Package. Thanks for everyone's input !!!

Now I wait.....

Back