MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 05-24-2022, 11:14 AM   #16
snadamo
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Adam

I use the B&B oak for the majority of cooks also. I like it a lot, although I don't think I used the 100% oak.

I usually buy my charcoal from ACE online and have it delivered to me. It's free if it's over $50 from the local store. Good option for guys that have bum legs and can't drive currently.
The Stable: Weber Kettle 22.5 | Weber Genesis II | WSM 18.5" | Camp Chef DLX 24 | Blackstone ProSeries 36" Griddle | Backwoods Chubby G3 | Big Chief front loader | Oklahoma Joe Highland | LSG 30” Cabinet offset
snadamo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-24-2022, 11:17 AM   #17
snadamo
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Adam

Quote:
Originally Posted by 16Adams View Post
Beer
"Beer, the problem and solution to all of life's problems"
The Stable: Weber Kettle 22.5 | Weber Genesis II | WSM 18.5" | Camp Chef DLX 24 | Blackstone ProSeries 36" Griddle | Backwoods Chubby G3 | Big Chief front loader | Oklahoma Joe Highland | LSG 30” Cabinet offset
snadamo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-25-2022, 01:52 PM   #18
noles2g
On the road to being a farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcyork28 View Post
I have a few bags of the new B&B oak blend and I don't see a problem with it. I have noticed any off smell or any other differences.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
I have had a run of bad luck on the last 2 bags of blends. Some odd smells and some irregularity to size and more ash. Pretty bummed about it as I loved the OAK before the “blend”. I am back to FOGO now.

Old 05-25-2022, 04:04 PM   #19
Fooball
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Brad

Quote:
Originally Posted by noles2g View Post
I have had a run of bad luck on the last 2 bags of blends. Some odd smells and some irregularity to size and more ash. Pretty bummed about it as I loved the OAK before the “blend”. I am back to FOGO now.
Do you shop at Ace Hardware or somewhere else? Just checking for local options for good coals.
Fooball is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-26-2022, 04:23 PM   #20
noles2g

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fooball View Post
Do you shop at Ace Hardware or somewhere else? Just checking for local options for good coals.
My Local ACE. Always top notch for years on lump regardless of brand. I was hoping it was a fluke so I bought another one. Same results. It definitely smells burns and performs different than it used too..At least here for me anyways the last 6 months. I have another buddy who says he doesn’t mind it. Maybe I am too picky

1 members found this post helpful.
Thanks from:--->
Old 05-26-2022, 05:00 PM   #21
BBQ Freak
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : BBQ Mojo

I did not know they had changed it and will check out what I have , thanks .

Luke's Firepits / Grill

Lone Star Grillz Mini Insulated Cabinet Smoker
BBQ Freak is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-31-2022, 06:37 AM   #22
LordRiffenstein
is Blowin Smoke!

Name/Nickname : Yoeri

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fooball View Post
I'm trying something new to me this weekend- B+B Competition Char Logs.

Saw some youtube videos about how good the stuff is so I ordered a 30# bag through Ace Hardware for $20 since I don't have an Academy near me for $15.

Anybody have an opinion on it?
Can you share those videos? Interested to see these logs in action, wondering if they would be good for a cabinet smoker.

Old 05-31-2022, 07:01 AM   #23
KevGuy

Name/Nickname : Kevin

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgross88 View Post
I feel your pain, Adams.

I have 5-6 bags of Weber briquettes left. I cry a little every time I open a bag, knowing I can't replace them.
Weber briquettes quite plentiful this year where I live in Canada. The price has gone up $2-$3 a bag this year.
KevGuy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-31-2022, 07:04 AM   #24
KevGuy

Name/Nickname : Kevin

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgross88 View Post
I feel your pain, Adams.

I have 5-6 bags of Weber briquettes left. I cry a little every time I open a bag, knowing I can't replace them.
How far do you live from the Canadian border?
KevGuy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-31-2022, 08:25 AM   #25
Fooball
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Brad

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordRiffenstein View Post
Can you share those videos? Interested to see these logs in action, wondering if they would be good for a cabinet smoker.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xyukf0mZfGM

This one goes a little more in depth:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0rQqmtE7NCI

I tried it on two different grill cooks over the holiday and I Like it for longer burning but it is slower to start/light in a chimney than briqs.

Overall, I'll buy it again for it's longer burn but will mix it with cheap briqs on the bottom of my chimney for a quicker start.

Speaking of those CHEAP briqs, today is the last day of the Ridge charcoal sale at Lowes....16 pound bag for $6.

Yesterday when I went to my local Lowes I checked online for inventory and they had 56 bags. I went down and bought 4. This morning I checked again online and they're down to 6 bags. They worked fine.
Fooball is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-31-2022, 02:04 PM   #26
dummy que
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 16Adams View Post
......Has been opened. I have other B&B coals, XL- Hickory-Charlogs but right after buying 20@10# bags of B&B Oak lump the label changed to Oak Blend. I'm still a long way out, at least 2023 from buying coals but it's kind of sad when you get to the end of anything. I mean look at this beautiful oak lump. This is the top of the bag and if like the other bags it will look the same on last pour. Time marches on
had same problem when they quit making STUBS at that time B&B was not avalable in my area had bought all that lowes had still kept last bag for keepsake

Old 06-01-2022, 06:58 AM   #27
LordRiffenstein
is Blowin Smoke!

Name/Nickname : Yoeri

Impressed with what I saw in those char-log test videos. I think I´ll be buying some. I thought they were bigger and might not fit in grate in my RF smoker but looks like these should work really well in there.

Old 06-01-2022, 08:24 AM   #28
bgross88
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : B

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevGuy View Post
How far do you live from the Canadian border?
Too far unfortunately. I live in south central Pennsylvania.

Glad to hear it’s still around. Maybe it will show back up in the States.

I thought Weber had stopped making it.