MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 07-22-2021, 04:01 PM   #1
CivilTrojan
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Chad
Question Oil Absorbent DE to clean smoker?

I need to clean some grease out of the bottom of my pellet smoker and was wondering if anyone had ever used Oil Absorbent DE (link below) to help with this. I have some laying around so that’s what made me think of it and the bag says NSF on the front, but I don’t want to put something in there that could leave harmful chemicals behind.

Thanks for all and any help/advise.

The link to the product so you know what I’m talking about: https://epminerals.com/products/oil-absorbent-de
CivilTrojan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-22-2021, 04:15 PM   #2
bschoen
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Bruce

I have heard of using kitty litter for oil spills.
bschoen is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 07-22-2021, 04:22 PM   #3
GK02
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

im pretty sure you can eat DE and it won't hurt you so I think it will work fine for cleaning a smoker. I know people also use it as an additive for gardens and as an absorbent.

I have used it in an industrial capacity for filtration and the only concern we ever had with it from a safety perspective was that the dust can be harmful if breathed in on a daily basis just due to the fine nature of it.
GK02 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-22-2021, 04:30 PM   #4
CivilTrojan
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bschoen View Post
I have heard of using kitty litter for oil spills.
Yeah, it’s similar. Seems like it would make cleanup less messy, but I’m not sure I want to put it inside my smoker.

Old 07-22-2021, 04:35 PM   #5
CivilTrojan
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by GK02 View Post
im pretty sure you can eat DE and it won't hurt you so I think it will work fine for cleaning a smoker. I know people also use it as an additive for gardens and as an absorbent.

I have used it in an industrial capacity for filtration and the only concern we ever had with it from a safety perspective was that the dust can be harmful if breathed in on a daily basis just due to the fine nature of it.
Thanks! I think I will try it next time! Due to impatience, it’s already been cleaned and unfortunately made a bit of a mess.

Old 07-22-2021, 04:45 PM   #6
GK02
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

yeah you can even buy it as a food supplement on amazon so i'm pretty sure it would be safe to clean a smoker with. Not exactly sure why you would want to eat it but seems like it's safe to do so.

https://www.amazon.com/Diatomaceous-.../dp/B00025H2PY
GK02 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-22-2021, 05:10 PM   #7
SmokeRingsMatter
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Poppy Pellet Pooper

Kosher Salt..........
SmokeRingsMatter is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-22-2021, 08:49 PM   #8
cowgirl
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : jeanie

Flour

http://cowgirlscountry.blogspot.com/
cowgirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-22-2021, 10:28 PM   #9
CivilTrojan
is one Smokin' Farker

So kosher salt and flour will work the same and make cleaning easier?

Old 07-22-2021, 10:41 PM   #10
SmokeRingsMatter
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Poppy Pellet Pooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by CivilTrojan View Post

Kosher Salt is more coarse then Flour. (flour will make a mess) So it will break up any gunk. Its great for absorbing oil/liquids. Its basicly what most old school cast Iron pan cooks use to clean their pans. I have a Cast Iron pan i been using for 20 years. It has never touched water/soap. A quick douse with Kosher salt, and rubbed with a SS scrubber, then bake in the oven to cook off any bacteria.
SmokeRingsMatter is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-23-2021, 07:02 AM   #11
SMOKE FREAK
Babbling Farker

Diatomaceous Earth is the fossilized remains of microscopic sea creatures known as Diatoms. it is used by organic gardeners because the razor sharp characteristics will slice open the soft underbellies of slugs and cutworms and other slithering offenders. The silica content of DE will further add to the dehydrating and eventual death of these pests.

I know that breathing it can cause problems for the respiratory system. And I can see no reason at all why a person would want to eat the stuff.

It works as an absorbent of liquids but it seems it would be a huge mess in a smoker situation.

Old 07-23-2021, 07:27 AM   #12
sfisch
is One Chatty Farker

Be careful if you consume it, there are a few kinds of D.E., the food grade one is the one obviously consumable, used to put it in with the chicken feed, there is also a D.E. grade you put in swimming pool filters which is not consumable.
Humphreys Battle Box
Chargriller Akorn, Akorn Jr.
Certified Moink Baller, CBJ# 53817
sfisch is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-23-2021, 10:11 AM   #13
jzadski
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Joe

I just use a plastic putty knife and dollar store orange bbq spray but, I have never had to clean out the bottom for grease just maybe the drip plate

Old 07-23-2021, 12:11 PM   #14
cowgirl
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : jeanie

Quote:
I need to clean some grease out of the bottom of my pellet smoker and was wondering if anyone had ever used Oil Absorbent DE (link below) to help with this. I have some laying around so that’s what made me think of it and the bag says NSF on the front, but I don’t want to put something in there that could leave harmful chemicals behind.

Thanks for all and any help/advise.

The link to the product so you know what I’m talking about: https://epminerals.com/products/oil-absorbent-de
Quote:
Salt is an abrasive.
Flour works as an oil absorbent. If you put enough flour on, you should be able to vacuum it out of the smoker. I'd use a vacuum with bags for easy cleanup..

Just one more "food safe" option.

http://cowgirlscountry.blogspot.com/
cowgirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-23-2021, 06:09 PM   #15
airedale
is one Smokin' Farker

I used to clean oil spills on my garage floor with oil-dri soaked with aviation gas. Made a slurry and push it around. then swept it up. Av gas is nice because it evaporates completely/no residue. Now I have a house with an attached garage so I don't clean this way any more.

A slurry of oil-dri and av gas should work great in a smoker. I would keep it well away from the house, though.
airedale is offline   Reply With Quote