Can A Chuck = Ribeye With Sous Vide?

Sous vide device worth the price nowadays and fine addition to a cooks collection. I tried several cuts of beef including brisket. My favorite use so far is 12 hour tri tip at 130 degrees, seared over hot coals just prior to serving. Outstanding results!

I haven’t tried it with chuck but did do a flank steak for 30 hours. Much more rib-eye like texture.

Sous vide device worth the price nowadays and fine addition to a cooks collection. I tried several cuts of beef including brisket. My favorite use so far is 12 hour tri tip at 130 degrees, seared over hot coals just prior to serving. Outstanding results!

Haven't done a 12hr tritip but mostly 6-8 at most. Does the 12hr change the texture of the tritip ?

So, if I sous vide a piece of meat, it seems the only thing left to do is a quick grilling for color and char, which means no smoking?

I will just put this out for you. Disclaimer: I did a review of it and several other products for Ink Bird. Not affiliated with Ink Bird.

https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=275794

No mater which one you buy, get the free Joule app. A great guide if your just starting out. Lots of helpful info in the above thread. :thumb:

Great thread! How many watt unit should I be looking at? I see everything from 100W to 1200W.

So, if I sous vide a piece of meat, it seems the only thing left to do is a quick grilling for color and char, which means no smoking?

Well as to putting a great crust on, I use this:
lacQel0.jpg

Well, just ordered the Inkbird ISV 200W. Not quite sure how it's difference from the ISV 100W, but hopefully it will work just as well or better. We'll see. Thanks all, for the help.
Oh, why such a difference in price compared with other makers? I see many in the $200 range?

I still smoke mine - dry brine with Black OPs overnight, Sous Vide @ 130 for 5-6 hours, chuck it in the freezer to bring the temp back down, then smoke it for a couple of hours until IT = ~110. Slather in mayo (or whatever your favorite binding agent is), re-season with Black Ops, then sear it on the grill.

I just did this last week for the first time…best tri-tip I’ve ever cooked. I ended up with more smoke flavor than just smoking it and it was tender like a beef tenderloin.

I’m doing it again on Friday with some Santa Maria rub that just came in from Oakridge.

Greg, that sounds really good. Nice to know I can still smoke after Sous Vide. Can't wait to try out the Inkbird I just bought.

I've had good luck smoking several tri-tips to 130F and then freezing individually. Pull one out and drop in the sous vide whenever you want one for 6 hrs and sear afterwards.

Back to the OP, I'll grab a chuck eye steak from time to time when I can find them at my local store. Have both sous vided/sear and just grilled with great results. Similar in taste and texture to a ribeye. I will jaccard to even them out and help with tenderizing.

Back