Grilled Flat Iron Steaks

KennesawBBQ

Reaction score
Just noticed the wife placed some flat iron steaks in the fridge to thaw. I've only cooked them once using a Giada De Laurentiis receipe mainly consisting of a red wine reduction sauce. I wasn't too impressed.

Does anyone have any preparation suggestions? Rubs and marinades mainly. Thanks in advance.

Try a BBQ rub. Last time I used Mont. Seasoning and some Plowboy, cause everyone want to be a Plowboy Baby.

One of the best steaks i ever cooked was a flat iron, rubbed with tasty licks red eye rub, grilled to med., then rested for 5-7 minutes, then sliced, with a little garlic butter on top. Very tasty cut of meat!

I've been using Dizzy Pig Cow Lick. As long as you don't overcook them, they're good even with just salt and pepper. I shoot for med-rare to medium. Give it a short rest and cut thin strips across the grain. I make steak tacos out of them as well.

GreatLakesBBQ has a great BBQ Rub that I'd try on it - or Bovine Bold - or maybe gunpowder seasoning - aw heck, just send those steaks my way and I'll experiment for ya and tell what's the best way...

... As long as you don't overcook them, they're good even with just salt and pepper. I shoot for med-rare to medium. Give it a short rest and cut thin strips across the grain...

yep - don't go past med-rare. i just use s & p. serve with crispy shoe string ff's sprinkled with parsley

Just noticed the wife placed some flat iron steaks in the fridge to thaw. I've only cooked them once using a Giada De Laurentiis receipe mainly consisting of a red wine reduction sauce. I wasn't too impressed.

Does anyone have any preparation suggestions? Rubs and marinades mainly. Thanks in advance.

Interesting. Flat Irons are now among my favorites. As with most steaks, I just used coarse pepper and kosker salt, and cook on a hot flame to Medium Rare.

cook to short side of medium, more medium rare, similar to tri-tip and fajitas. slice like tri-tip and fajitas, reasonably thin and against the grain. this is the best way I can remember how to do stuff, match and compare with other stuff. works, till I start drinking, then for some reason I start comparing old girl friends.....t

Salt Pepper and a touch of garlic.

Good eats!

fil

man, that cut is a favorite down at the bar. we usually get them at krogers when they are on sale for $4.99/pound and freeze them.

i use dizzy pig raising the steaks on them and either sear hot at 700 and rest and then grill at 400 to finish or just grill at 450-500 the whole time. pull them at 125 degrees internal in the middle of the thickest part for rare, 130 for medium

what were you not impressed with? the steak, the cut or the recipe?
kism. keep it simple, man :biggrin:

flatiron-018.jpg

ikedayseven-019.jpg

breadflatironshrimp-046.jpg

they fly right off the grill!

flyingflatiron_600.gif

Hey Rick, will you invite me over for dinner some time? Your food always looks amazing!

Just bought some choice pieces today at Walmart $4.49 a pound. They look great , lots of marbleing. I went there to buy ribeyes....cept they cost more than at Jewel...and they didnt look as good either. Guess prices went up a bit for Fourth of July....meat was dirt cheap a month ago.

As to cooking....simple seasoning...in my case fresh pepper and Lawry's. Cook on nice hot fire to medium-rare. Dont ruin this piece with a lot of marinade...leave that for sirlion and hanger steak.

Back